Web Recorder Utility with Internet Explorer and the ignoreProtectedModeSettings setting

Hi.

Due to security policies I cannot change my Internet Explorer security settings.

I’ve added the “ignoreProtectedModeSettings” boolean property set to true on Project Settings → Execution → Default → Web UI → IE.
This setting allows me to create test cases with scripts and run them, clicking on the green play button (with the “run” label).

My problem is I cannot use the “Web Recorder Utility”. To be clear, I click the green globe with the red dot and the “Web Recorder” opens. I then insert an URL and select “IE” from the list of browsers next to the URL text box.
I get the “Protected Mode settings are not the same for all zones” error.
It seems that the “Web Recorder Utility” is not using the Execution Settings I defined.

Any ideas on how to pass parameters to the “Web Recorder Utility”?

Thanks in advance

Vitor Jesus

1 Like

I found another users reporting the same problem:
http://forum.katalon.com/discussion/5498/unexepected-error-launching-ie-messsage
http://forum.katalon.com/discussion/1828/is-there-way-to-override-the-protected-mode-error-for-ie

Here is the setting in the project settings.

image.png

Here is the error when trying to use Web Recorder with Internet Explorer:

But running a test case works fine with Internet Explorer.
Notice that it uses the "User set preference: [‘ignoreProtectedModeSettings’, ‘true’].

ie error.png

running script.png

Is this simply impossible?

I found a way to get around this problem:

I made a registry file to enable protected mode on all zones. Company policies will crush these settings every hour, but at least I can run the webrecorder while the settings are effective.
This does not solve the problem. I would really like the webrecorder to use the project settings.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0]

“2500”=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\1]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\2]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\4]

Hi Vitor,

Have you found the solution yet for this problem like can not record using IE browser? I am also facing same issue and because of company policy, I can not even edit the Protected mode settings under IE security settings. I did add the property under WEB UI - ignoreProtectedModesettings but as you said that is for execution only.

Please let me know if there is any possible solution for us with some company security policies.