Web Browser won't open

Problem statement

I have created a new Katalon project, including a Test Case, and when I run it, the browser doesn’t open.

When I comment out the actual business logic in the Test Case, and simply put:


it still doesn’t open the browser window.

When I update the web driver, both with the Update Web Drivers tool and manually, it still doesn’t work.

What should I do ?

What I have tried…

…in addition to the above, I have tried the following:

  • downloaded the Katalon Studio Enterprise version, v9.6.0, opened the project, and attempted to run the Test Case from there…
  • running either program as administrator

What are you running, and on what?

I have checked the Katalon Studio version, and it is v8.6.9, on a Windows 10 machine.


Hi there,

Thank you very much for your topic. Please note that it may take a little while before a member of our community or from Katalon team responds to you.


Nobody can help me on this one!? Then I guess it’s time to ditch Katalon Studio!!


Have you tried different browsers? Chrome, Edge or Firefox? Do other projects still work? You can try deleting .classpath, sometimes that might get corrupted. You don’t mention any errors - are there any?

1 Like

I only ever use Chrome… and when I tried it, there were no errors…

I can try it again this evening…

When encountering issues with Katalon Studio where the browser does not open, there are several troubleshooting steps you can take. Since you have already tried updating the web drivers and running the program as an administrator, here are some additional steps to help diagnose and resolve the issue:

1. Verify WebDriver Path

Ensure that the WebDriver path is correctly configured in Katalon Studio. You can check this by going to Project > Settings > Execution > Default and verifying the WebDriver path.

2. Check Katalon Studio Logs

Examine the Katalon Studio logs for any error messages that might provide more insight into why the browser is not opening. Logs can be found in the Event Log tab within Katalon Studio or in the .\Katalon_Studio_Windows_<version>\config\.metadata\.log file.

3. Reinstall Web Drivers

Sometimes, manually updating the WebDriver might not replace all necessary files. Try deleting the WebDriver files from the Katalon Studio directory and reinstalling them:

  • Navigate to .\Katalon_Studio_Windows_<version>\configuration\resources\drivers\.
  • Delete the contents of the browser-specific driver folders (e.g., Chrome, Firefox).
  • Use the Tools > Update WebDrivers > <Browser> option to reinstall the WebDriver.

4. Check Browser Version Compatibility

Ensure that the version of the browser you are using is compatible with the WebDriver version installed. If there’s a mismatch, the browser might not open. You can check for compatibility on the browser’s WebDriver documentation page.

5. Firewall/Antivirus Interference

Sometimes, firewall or antivirus software might block Katalon Studio from launching browsers. Temporarily disable your firewall/antivirus software and try running the test again.

6. Java Installation

Ensure that Java is correctly installed and configured on your machine, as Katalon Studio relies on Java. You can check this by running java -version in the command prompt.

7. Sample Test Case

Try running a minimal test case to ensure that the issue is not with the test script itself. Create a new test case with just the following line:


8. Reinstall Katalon Studio

If none of the above steps work, try reinstalling Katalon Studio. Make sure to backup your projects before doing so.

Additional Steps

If you still face issues, consider the following advanced steps:

  1. Environment Variables: Ensure that any environment variables required by Katalon Studio and WebDrivers are correctly set.
  2. Browser Settings: Reset the browser settings to default in case any custom settings or extensions are interfering.
  3. System Updates: Ensure that your Windows 10 is fully updated, as system updates can sometimes resolve underlying issues.

Example Test Case

Here’s a sample minimal test case you can try:

  1. Open Katalon Studio.
  2. Create a new test case.
  3. Add the following script:
import com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.WebUiBuiltInKeywords as WebUI

  1. Run the test case and observe if the browser opens and navigates to Google.

Hope there you can find your solution.