User Story linked to Test case

Hi All,

We use an in house tool to maintain backlog we have stories and Sprints

We are using Jenkin we would like to integrate Katalon but before we do that, we would like to understand:

How we can link test cases to User story stored in another tool? Does Katalon has some fields to store User story number so that linking can be done

Also how Katalon can create bugs in another tool

Depends what you mean by “link”. I can’t think of a way to make something clickable to target something in another application.

However, I use the Text Case description field to store JSON metadata about tests and bug numbers for regression testing/prevention.

While I don’t like this idea, it’s certainly possible. If your tool has an end point you could call it from a test case. But if you’re imagining a bug being created every time a test fails, that would create a zillion bugs that someone needs to curate and manage.

I think you should explain more what you’re trying to achieve.

I have ever used JIRA integrated with Git.

That worked for any type of software development projects.

Here I assume that your in-house issue tracker integrates Git commits (in the commit log, you want to write an issue id, which effectively links to the tracked issues) like JIRA does, and you want to control your KS project with Git. Then you can “link” every single changes in your Katalon projects with your issue tracker. You would not need any change/addition to KS functionality.

Thanks… i don’t want any clicking functionality

All i want to establish…ex:

In my Sprint i have 10 stories…i create a test suite in Katalon. And if i run test suite which has test cases then it will tell me which test case has failed but it can not report which story has failed…

I want to establish this traceability.

Could you please point me to an article which can explain further how to achieve this?

I suppose, a straight forward way for you to achieve this is to name your test case with the identification of your “story” engraved.

For example you can name your test Case “TC_myStory123_x”, which clearly indicates that this test case is concerned with “myStory123”. Or you can introduce a folder for test cases, like “myStory123/TC_x”.

I have no more idea.

Thanks… i don’t want any clicking functionality

All i want to establish…ex:

In my Sprint i have 10 stories…i create a test suite in Katalon. And if i run test suite which has test cases then it will tell me which test case has failed but it can not report which story has failed…

I want to establish this traceability.

Could you please point me to an article which can explain further how to achieve this?

I’m pretty sure there is no article to help with this.

You have the choices that @kazurayam and I gave you.

1. Use the title of the Test Case

2. Use the metadata fields (Tag and Description)

Here’s what mine looks like:

Note: you don’t need to use JSON like I did. It could just be plain text.