RE execution is now requiring license, confused about 'business email' requirement

We’ve been trying out Katalon Studio (version 7.0.3) using the runtime engine to run test suites via CLI using Azure Pipeline.
About two days ago, Katalon suddenly stopped running with the error:

Trial license is only available for Katalon accounts registered with a business email.
Online activation for console mode failed.
Activation failed. Please make sure you are using a valid license.

I’d like to understand a few things:

1. How do I register with a ‘business email’ vs how I already registered?
  2. Why did this suddenly stop failing? Was there a change on the Katalon side? It doesn’t seem related to the registration date of the API key I’m using.
1 Like

Hi @jeanie.conner,

1. Given that you has been able to try out Katalon Runtime Engine, you’ve probably already registered with a business email.

2. Please kindly check if your trial period is still valid. You can do that by going to TestOps > User > License.
    About the misleading message, this bug is acknowledged and will be fixed soon. Thank you for reporting this.

1 Like

Ok, thanks for the prompt reply! We’ll sort out the license.

@anhqle I have installed KSE license on my local machine. I am trying to use command line to run my test but I got a similar error. Trial license is only available for Katalon accounts registered with a business email.
Online activation for console mode failed.
Activation failed. Please make sure you are using a valid license.
All launchers terminated
Can someone please answer to this question?

1 Like

Hi @ssah
Command-line execution requires Katalon Runtime Engine license. You can trial it by using a Katalon account with a business email.

What do you mean by saying “a business email”? I have never read any definitive description in Katalon’s writings what “a business email” is.

• If I have an Email address “foo.bar@gmail.com”, then is it a business email? If yes, please tell me why. If no, please tell me why not.
  • If I have an Email address “someone@foo.bar.com”, then is it a business email? If yes, please tell me why. If no, please tell me why not.
1 Like

Hi @anhqle Thank you for responding too quickly. I will install KRE license to run my tests through command line. However, Can you install KSE & KRE together on one computer (under one machine ID) or you have to deactivate and activate each license depends what you want to use either KSE or KRE on your PC? Btw, I have KRE floating license. How can you use KSE and KRE license on single PC.
Thank you

Yes, KRE & KSE can be used on one computer without any problem. Check out this guide on how to activate KRE, and remember to add apiKey your command line.

In the License Agreeement, OVERVIEW section, I found the following sentence.

If this email address is not a valid business email address, your use will be limited to the standard license for Katalon Studio and you will not be able to trial use of Katalon Studio Enterprise or Katalon Runtime Engine.

Perhaps this is a description what a business email is supposed to be in Katalon Way.

it may be, however it is not answering the question.
so let’s add details.

scenario no.1:
Supposed i have a small company (maybe I am the only employee and at the same time the company owner), and my e-mail address is MyCompany@gmail.com (such address can be registered according to gmail policy) because i am cheap and i don’t want to pay gmail for a dedicated one, to save money to acquire a katalon licence.
Is this a valid business email address from katalon point of view?

scenario no.2:
I am an individual person, but I am running my own e-mail server (because I can) … let’s say my adress it is my.name@someWhateverDomainICanAfford.ru (or whatever else after dot, .org, .in, .uk or even .com)

Is this a business email address or an individual one?

so, @anhqle can somebody bring officially more light on this matter?
i looked into GLOSARY section too in addition to @kazurayam digging but cannot find anything relevant.

1 Like

There is no lexical rule which distinguishes a e-mail address being a business one or non-business. I think if the person who owns MyCompany@gmail.com is prepared to pay for KSE or KRE, then it would be regarded as a business email address. If one is not prepared for it, then MyCompany@gmail.com is not a business one. Clear enough, isn’t it?

1 Like

Clear enough for me. If i have money for a bussines licence i should have also for an eligible mail address. And opposite :smile:
I am happy we clarified who decide what is business and what is not.

E.g if i am a freelancer i have no chance to legally use katalon with paid support or to try it out.
(Despite the fact my activity is based on legal appointments)
Good to know!

Thank you :slight_smile:

@anhqle How can you run Grid execution on two different remote machine with KSE license? I am trying to run parallel execution on remote machine but won’t able to run my test. Do you think I should step down my java version installed on remote PC? I am using Windows 2012 and Java 8u231 on both machines. Please provide some more details on how to do parallel execution on remote PC’s. I am using Katalon KSE license. Thank you

Thanks for post!

+1

Yes, I think so too. If you are a freelancer and have no “myname@your.employer.domain” address (like me, I only have “kazurayam@gmail.com”), then you are not able to purchace a valid payed license of Katalon.

In other words, Katalon’s licensing scheme does not regard the freelancers as potential licencees.

Still, you can choose the free license of Katalon Studio. Though it’s feature is limited, the free license is sufficient for me.