Prune or merge common package name roots

Describe the problem you have

In keywords, having multiple folders at the end of a long package hierarchy displays the full hierarchy for each folder, which is cluttered and hard to parse. These long namespace names are a standard in Java to avoid namespace collisions. Other Java IDEs will prune this or display the whole hierarchy as a folder that you expand to see the contents.

For example, let’s say I have the following 2 keyword packages:
foo.bar.baz.qux.one
foo.bar.baz.qux.two

Many Java IDEs will display this as follows:

foo.bar.baz.qux
|     one
|     two

but Katalon Studio will format it like so:

foo.bar.baz.qux.one
foo.bar.baz.qux.two

This gets really ugly with more folders. Even just displaying a regular file hierarchy would be improvement (in my opinion):

foo
|---bar
|     |---baz
|     |     |---qux
|     |     |     |    one
|     |     |     |    two

It’s certainly not as nice as the first option, but it’s at least still a hierarchy. And this is what is already done in the rest of the Katalon Studio for test cases, objects, suites, etc.

Please let us know, how would your work be affected while this request has not been resolved?

1. It doesn’t affect much, but I believe Katalon team should have this ticket resolved

Describe the feature you’d like or how the current features need to be updated.

Katalon Studio should display these common folder hierarchies more neatly, similar to other Java IDEs.

1 Like

Hi @sbrod,

Thank you for your detailed suggestion,
We already created a ticket in our backlog for this and we will keep you updated when it’s enhanced in any future release.

Happy testing!
Nam Nguyen.

1 Like