Older Android Devices not running web Test Cases

I’m having difficulties running web test cases against certain Android phones. I’m able to successfully run web Test Cases against devices running Android 10, 9 and 7, but I have two devices, a Sony Z3 Compact (Android 6.0.1) and a Samsung Galaxy A3 (Android 5.0.2) where the test cases don’t run.

In both cases, in the Log Viewer, it gets to the point that is described as “Appium server started on port xx,xxx”, then just hangs there seemingly indefinitely.

With all devices, I have enabled USB Debugging (Developer Options), and have allowed USB Debugging (always) when connecting the device. I have set the USB ‘mode’ for ‘Transfer Files (MTP’). On the newer devices, this seemingly is enough to run the web tests successfully on the devices’ web browser, but not on these two older devices.

What else do I need to do? Are these OS versions compatible with both Katalon and Appium (looking at the respective support pages, I believe they are)?

I would appreciate any help on this one - thanks.

@kevin.mcandrew
Katalon Studio supports Android 6.0 or later and Appium 1.12.1+ or later. You can refer to this document.

For old devices, the installed Chrome app version is older than the new devices. You need to update the Chrome app to the latest version.

We are able to run web test successfully on Sony Z3 Compact (Android 6.0.1) in SauceLab with the hosted Appium version: 1.14.0.

Hi Duyluong, thanks for your response, that’s very useful information - many thanks!

Kevin

do you know the list of devices supported by the Katalon Device Farm. I mean the devices like below.
Android_Handheld
Bluebird 5.1.1
Nexus 5 4.4.4
Samsung E5 4.4.4
Web_Handheld
Chrome V78
Firefox V70
Edge V17
Android_Tablet
Yogapad 6.0.1
Samsung tab 8.1
Web_Tablet

Hi @satya.prasad.3186,

do you know the list of devices supported by the Katalon Device Farm.

1. Katalon doesn’t have any device farm.

I mean the devices like below.
Android_Handheld
Bluebird 5.1.1
Nexus 5 4.4.4
Samsung E5 4.4.4
Web_Handheld
Chrome V78
Firefox V70
Edge V17
Android_Tablet
Yogapad 6.0.1
Samsung tab 8.1
Web_Tablet

1. As my previous post, Katalon officially supports Android devices version v6.0 and later version.