NullPointerException due to NON-ASCII characters in parent dir name of a Katalon Project

## Operating System: Windows 10

## Katalon Studio Version: 5.7.1

## Katalon Studio logs: attached

**## Environment (for Web testing): **Firefox 62.0.2

## Steps to reproduce

1. created a folder C:\Users\qqf73\Katalonテストソース

Please note that the folder is named with NON-ASCII characters

1. git cloned GitHub - kazurayam/VisualTestingInKatalonStudio: This is a Katalon Studio project which performs 2 ways of screenshot-comparison testing for WebUI in full automation. Twins mode compares 2 host names at a time. Chronos mode compares the current view of a AUT to the previous one. You can make your own Katalon Studio project capable of the same screenshot-comparison. approach. Instruction provided.

2. start Katalon Studio, open the project at C:\Users\qqf73\Katalonテストソース\VisualTestingInKatalonStudio

3. open Test Suite Collection ‘Execute’, and execute it

## Expected Behavior

The test suite collection runs successfully

**## Actual Behavior **

Imediately after start, NullPointerException is raised

Caught: java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.kms.katalon.core.configuration.RunConfiguration.getExecutionGeneralProperties(RunConfiguration.java:402)
at com.kms.katalon.core.configuration.RunConfiguration.getReportProperties(RunConfiguration.java:490)
at com.kms.katalon.core.configuration.RunConfiguration.getReportFolder(RunConfiguration.java:499)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestSuiteExecutor.<init>(TestSuiteExecutor.java:71)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain.startTestSuite(TestCaseMain.java:141)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain$startTestSuite$0.call(Unknown Source)
at TempTestSuite1537577330506.run(TempTestSuite1537577330506.groovy:36)

**## Screenshots / Videos: **(please attach screenshots or videos if necessary to reproduce the issue)

## Discussion

I tried alternative folder name C:\Users\qqf73\KatalonTestSource. It was OK.

No doubt, NON-ASCII characters in the folder name テストソース is the cause of the problem.

.log

KatalonNullPointerException.png

1 Like

I tried the same on Mac, but NPE did not occur. It seems to occur on Windows only.

1 Like

Hi kazurayam,

Why do we need to create this folder: C:\Users\qqf73\Katalon**テストソース. **Is this folder used in your Test Suite Collection? If so, where does it use?

Regards

Please make the Katalon project directory under it:

C:\Users\qqf73\Katalon**テストソース\VisualTestingInKatalonStudio

1 Like

Hi kazurayam,
I don’t know when reproducing your case, after executing the log just showed "Caught: java.io.IOException: Invalid argument

java.io.IOException: Invalid argument

", it’s not the same your log.
and I wonder ask why you put your project on C disk, not D?

Caught: java.io.IOException: Invalid argument

I do not know why either.

why you put your project on C disk, not D?

Just because I do not have D

1 Like