This is a problem that a lot of people come across, and so far I don’t have a definitive solution. Here are a few things you can try:
First, make sure you follow the steps from the Katalon documentation for setting up the WebDriverAgent:
Similar documentation from Appium about real device setup:
Verify/switch your Xcode’s tools directory:
sudo xcode-select -s /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer
Assuming your Xcode directory is at /Applications/Xcode.app
Reset the trust settings between your device and the computer
Here are a couple of articles about that. You can see if it works to get the trust prompt to show again (and hopefully your device recognized):
Check if the device is recognized by command line tools outside of Xcode
These tools may be used by Appium and Katalon Studio to communicate with real devices.
If that does show your device (or if you don’t have idevice_id installed), then it could be that you don’t have permissions to run some of the other command line tools that Katalon (and Appium behind the scenes) require. You can reinstall those tools with:
brew uninstall ideviceinstaller
brew uninstall libimobiledevice
brew install --HEAD libimobiledevice
brew link --overwrite libimobiledevice
brew install --HEAD ideviceinstaller
brew link --overwrite ideviceinstaller
sudo chmod -R 777 /var/db/lockdown/
Manually edit the iOS settings for the current project
As a workaround, you can edit the
settings/internal/com.kms.katalon.core.mobile.ios.properties directly to bypass the Katalon menu and put in the UDID of your device. In my case, my iOS12 simulators are not shown in the Katalon dropdown, so I got the list of devices using the command line:
instruments -s devices
I then opened the
settings/internal/com.kms.katalon.core.mobile.ios.properties under my test project (these are per-project settings) to include the
deviceId for the iOS12 device I want to test. I think this should work for physical devices as well.
My file looks like this:
Save that file and restart Katalon Studio. When you run the test, it should run on the desired device.
Finally, uninstall everything or try another machine.
This solution is not ideal, but I have seen many people say that restoring their system from a backup or reinstalling Xcode, Appium, and Katalon Studio worked for them.
Hope this helps,