Modifying WS.sendRequest keyword to support implicit retry on server error

I have published a GitHub project

• Katalon Studio version: v9.0.0 Free

Problem to solve

Application Under Test

This project bundles a HTTP Server that works on the localhost. Later, I will describe how to start the server on your machine. When the server is up, a URL becomes available:

I will call this URL as the naughty URL for short. The naught URL has the following characteristics.

(1) It returns an HTTP response with STATUS=200 and a JSON body:

{
  "title": "JavaScript本格入門",
  "price": 3200,
  "publisher": "技術評論社"
}

01 01 status=200

(2) It occasionaly returns an HTTP response with STATUS=500 and a HTML body:

<html>
  <head>
    <meta charset="UTF-8" />
    <title>500 Internal Server Error
    </title>
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>500 Internal Server Error
    </p>
  </body>
</html>

01 02 status=500

(3) It returns an Error at random. The probability is approximately 33%. 1 error per 3 requests. You can read the server source in TypeScript app.ts ,Line#64 :

router.get("/naughty", async (_req: Request, params: Record<string, string>) => {
  const r = randomNumber({ min: 1, max: 100 });
  if (modulo(r, 3) === 0) {
    const html = await Deno.readTextFile(`error.html`);
    return new Response(html, { status: 500, headers: {"content-type": "text/html; charset=utf-8"}});
  } else {
    const html = await Deno.readTextFile(`book.json`);
    return new Response(html, { headers: {"content-type": "application/json; charset=utf-8"}});
  }
});

A Test Case with built-in WS.sendRequest keyword fails on Server Error

We have a script Test Cases/my/get naughty URL using built-in keyword that makes an HTTP request to the naughty URL using the Katalon built-in keyword WS.sendRequest.

// Test Cases/my/get naughty URL with built-in keyword

import static com.kms.katalon.core.testobject.ObjectRepository.findTestObject

import com.kms.katalon.core.testobject.ResponseObject
import com.kms.katalon.core.webservice.keyword.WSBuiltInKeywords as WS

ResponseObject response = WS.sendRequest(findTestObject('Object Repository/naughty'))

WS.comment("status: " + response.getStatusCode())
WS.comment("content-type: " + response.getContentType())
println(response.getResponseBodyContent())

assert response.getStatusCode() == 200
assert response.getContentType().toLowerCase().contains("json")

Please note that this script asserts that the response has the HTTP STATUS “200 OK” and the Content-Type to be “json”. If the HTTP STATUS is found to be “500”, then this script will fail.

We have another scipt Test Cases/my/repeat getting naught URL using built-in keyword.

// Test Cases/my/repeat getting naughty URL using built-in keyword

import static com.kms.katalon.core.testcase.TestCaseFactory.findTestCase

for (i in 1..10) {
    WS.callTestCase(findTestCase("my/get naughty URL using built-in keyword"), null)
    WS.delay(1)
}

The latter script repeats calling the former script for multiple times (actually 10 times). When I run the latter script, it always stops midway with a failure of the former script. Why the former script fails? Because the built-in WS.sendRequest keyword returns a ResponseObject with HTTP STATUS=500 when the naughty URL replied an error.

Problem: WS.sendRequest keyword doesn’t care Server errors

In the real world, some Katalon users developed WebService testing projects which make repetitive calls to WS.sendRequest keyword. For example, one has a project that makes 200 hundreds times of call to WS.sendRequest.

It is often the case that the AUT (Application Under Test) is still being developed so that is not robust enough. The AUT may respond with STATUS=500 rather often.
The problem is, as soon as the AUT respond an error, the test scirpt that uses WS.sendRequest keyword stops. If an error occured at the 100th request, the 101th and following requests would never be carried out. Therefore the productivity of WebService testers using Katalon Studio would go down.

01 03 repeat using builtin keyword

Feature request

I, as a WebService tester using Katalon Studio, want my test to be more robust against possible flakiness of the AUT server. I want the WS.sendRequest keyword to retry getting the target URL silently.

Built-in Web Server as testbed

Here I will explain how to launch the HTTP server as testbed locally on your machine.

02 01 Deno is required

On your machine, you need to install Deno, the next generation JavaScript runtime. Please follow the installation instruction on their site.

I assume you have a bash Terminal where you can do this:

$ deno --version
deno 1.43.6 (release, x86_64-apple-darwin)
v8 12.4.254.13
typescript 5.4.5

The exact version does not matter. Any recent version will do.

Download the project

You can download the zip of this repository from the
Releases page. Download the latest one, and unzip it.

How to start the process

I would write $PROJECT to represent the directory where you located the project on your machine.

In the Terminal command line, do the following operations:

$ cd $PROJECT
$ cd webserver
$ /bin/bash ./appstart.sh

Listening on http://localhost:3000/

That’s it. The server is up. Now, you should be able to get access to the naughty URL:

The webserver/appstart.sh is a single line of shell script:

deno run --allow-net --allow-read --allow-write --allow-env app.ts

The appstart.sh runs the deno run command while specifying a TypeScript code that creates a HTTP server:

It is nice to have a local HTTP server application in a WebUI/WebService Test Automation project. With it you can mimic your AUT and debug your tests. I’ve found that Deno is an easy-to-use but full-fledged platform to create a webserver as testbed.

Solution

It is ideal if the built-in WS.sendRequest keyword in Katalon Studio is changed to be robust against server errors. But I can’t wait for their product development. Here I would show you my custom Groovy codes that give you the second best solution.

Custom Groovy classes

I have developed 2 Groovy classes.

com.kazurayam.ks.KzSendRequestKeyword

This class implements an alternative to the built-in WS.sendRequest(RequestObject, FailureHandling) keyword. This class send an HTTP Reuest and returns the ResponseObject. The difference is that, when the server returned an HTTP respose with STATUS != 200 OK, then the class makes retry silently.

package com.kazurayam.ks

import com.kms.katalon.core.configuration.RunConfiguration
import com.kms.katalon.core.model.FailureHandling
import com.kms.katalon.core.testobject.RequestObject
import com.kms.katalon.core.webservice.helper.WebServiceCommonHelper

public class KzSendRequestKeyword {

public KzSendRequestKeyword() {}

public ResponseObject sendRequestWithRetry(
                            RequestObject request, 
                            FailureHandling flowControl=RunConfiguration.getDefaultFailureHandling()) 
            throws Exception {
        //println "called sendRequestWithRetry(RequestObject, ...)"
        int max = 5
        ResponseObject responseObject
        for (i in 1..max) {
            WebServiceCommonHelper.checkRequestObject(request)
            responseObject = WebServiceCommonHelper.sendRequest(request)
            //println("responseObject.getStatusCode()=" + responseObject.getStatusCode())
            //println("responseObject.getHeaderFields()=" + responseObject.getHeaderFields())

// check if the responseObject is good
            if (condition.call(responseObject)) {
                break  // exit the loop
            }

// the responseObject is not goo, so log error and retry sending the HTTP request
            println "retry " + i
            // wait a while to be gentle to the server
            Thread.sleep(1000)
        }
        return responseObject
    }

private Closure condition = { ResponseObject responseObject ->
        return responseObject.getStatusCode() >= 200 && responseObject.getStatusCode() < 300
    }

public void setCondition(Closure cls) {
        condition = cls
    }
}

com.kazurayam.ks.WSBuiltInKeywordsModifier

This class modifies the sendRequest method of com.kms.katalon.core.webservice.keyword.WSBuiltInKeywords class. Once the modifySendRequest() methos is called, the sendRequest method will be dynamically changed. The WS.sendRequest() call will no more uses the built-in class, but the method uses the com.kazurayam.ks.KzSendRequestKeyword.

package com.kazurayam.ks

import com.kms.katalon.core.configuration.RunConfiguration
import com.kms.katalon.core.webservice.keyword.WSBuiltInKeywords

public class WSBuiltInKeywordsModifier {

public static void modifySendRequest() {

Closure<ResponseObject> cls = { RequestObject request, FailureHandling flowControl = RunConfiguration.getDefaultFailureHandling() ->
            KzSendRequestKeyword kw = new KzSendRequestKeyword()
            return kw.sendRequestWithRetry(request, flowControl)
        }

WSBuiltInKeywords.metaClass.static.sendRequest = cls
    }
}

Descriptions

How the custom sendRequestWithRetry method works

I have developed 2 Test Cases to demonstrate how I can use the custom class com.kazurayam.ks.KzSendRequestWithRetry.

// Test Cases/my/get naughty URL using custom keyword

import com.kazurayam.ks.KzSendRequestKeyword

KzSendRequestKeyword kw = new KzSendRequestKeyword()
ResponseObject response = kw.sendRequestWithRetry(findTestObject('Object Repository/naughty'), )

// Test Cases/my/repeat getting naughty URL using modified keyword

for (i in 1..10) {
    WS.callTestCase(findTestCase("my/get naughty URL using custom keyword"), null)
    WS.delay(1)
}

I ran the latter script which repeats calling the former script for 10 times. The former script gets the naught URL, which of course often responds with error of STATUS=500. But the the KzSendRequestWithRetry hide ths server error and silently makes retry. So the later script finished successful.

03 01 repeat using custom keyword

Want to modify the WS.sendRequest keyword for retry

Let me imagine that I have 200 Test Case scripts that calls the WS.sendRequest keyword. Now, I have developed a custom keyword WSK.sendRequestWithRetry. So, I should rewrite my scripts to use WSK.sendRequestWithRetry instead of WS.sendRequest. Oops, too much works. I don’t like to do it. Any other idea that requires far less rewrite works?

Here I introduce the com.kazurayam.ks.WSBuitlInKeywordsModifier. I have made 2 Test Case scripts to demostrate how to use it.

In this script, I call the WSBuildInKeywordsModifier to dynamically replace the implementation of sendRequest(RequestObject,FailureHandling) of the com.kms.katalon.core.webservice.keyword.WSBuiltInKeywords class. The new implementation will link to the com.kazurayam.ks.KzSendRequestKeyword class, instead of the built-in com.kms.katalon.core.webservice.kehyword.builtin.SendRequestKeyword.

// Test Cases/my/get naughty URL using modified keyword

import com.kazurayam.ks.WSBuiltInKeywordsModifier

import com.kms.katalon.core.webservice.keyword.builtin.SendRequestKeyword

// modify the implementation of "WS.sendRequest(RequestObject)" method 
// dynamically by Groovy Metaprogramming technique
WSBuiltInKeywordsModifier.modifySendRequest()

ResponseObject response = WS.sendRequest(findTestObject('Object Repository/naughty'))

The most interesting thing in this script is the following 2 lines:

Here, the sendRequest method of WSBuiltInKeywords class is dynamically modified. Then we continu using the built-in WS.sendRequest keyword. I do not call WSK.sendRequestWithRetry explicitly, but I do call it indirectly.

Again, I made another scpript that calls the former script multiple times.

// Test Cases/my/repeat Getting Naughty URL with built-in keyword

for (i in 1..15) {
    WS.callTestCase(findTestCase("my/get naughty URL using modified keyword"), null)
    WS.delay(1)
}

When I ran the latter script, it just passed. The naughty URL reponded STATUS=500 error sometimes, but the modified WS.sendRequest keyword silently ignored the error and performed retry. Goodness.

Want to minimize the code change

The final demonstration.

I created a Test Case script

It is simple.

// Test Cases/my/modifyBuiltInKeywords

import com.kazurayam.ks.WSBuiltInKeywordsModifier

Now I created a Test Suite that combines 2 Test Cases:

1. Test Cases/my/modifyBuiltInKeywords

2. Test Cases/my/repeat getting naughy URL using built-in keyword

With the 1st Test Case “modifyBuiltInKeywords” in the Test Suite, the built-in keyword WS.sendRequest is replaced with new implementation with retry.

Please note that the 2nd Test Case “get naught URL using built-in keyword” is an old one, which failed before. Literally I made no change.

When I ran this Test Suite, it just passed.

04 01 testsuite

The 2nd Test Case script performed differently as the result of the 1st script. Let’s imagine, you have hundreds of Test Cases in Test Suites that use the WS.sendRequest keyword. You just want to insert the modifyBuiltInKeywords script into the head of your Test Suites. That’s all. No need to change your existing Test Cases. The modified WS.sendRequest keyword will perform robust against the occasional server errors of STATUS=500.

Conclusion

The com.kazurayam.ks.KzSendRequestKeyword class and the com.kazurayam.ks.WSBuiltInKeywordsModifier class enable you to modify the built-in WS.sendRequest(RequestObject,FailureHandling) keyword on the fly. The modified WS.sendRequest method will be robust against the occational errors responded by the AUT. The volume of code changes required for the existing Test Cases could be small and manageable.

2 Likes

Hi @kazurayam,

Such a great project and detailed description. I think a lot of people can find it useful. I would like to verify whether I can place this in Tips & Tricks or Feature Requests, which category better fits this? I will also let my team know about this to take as the reference on the feature request. Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you for this amazing work, it’s very useful. We’ll try to implement it.

Hi there,

Thank you very much for your topic. Please note that it may take a little while before a member of our community or from Katalon team responds to you.

Thanks!