Mobile Recorder on 6.0.5 No objects

I can not get the KS to capture the image of the emulator to allow the recording of tests.

I have used the emulator before with the previous version without issue and the same APK file. KS does load the emulator with the APK without issue so the issue must lie elsewhere.

Hi @vincent.healy,

Are you getting any error messages when you try to capture the screen? I do know that in Android, certain screens can be designated by developers as “secure” so that screenshots can’t be taken of them. These are usually login screens, credit card screens, and other screens with sensitive information. Even though you might not be able to see these secure screens in Katalon Studio, you will still be able to interact with and capture objects from them.

The other thing to look at is if you’ve recently upgraded Appium. For best compatibility, it’s recommended to use Appium Server 1.8.1 (or Appium Desktop 1.6.3).

Hope this helps,

Chris

Appium wasn’t upgraded when I switched up the KS.

The message is
Warning: Unable to capture objects
Reason: ExecutionException

Details: java.lang.NullPointException

The Android Emulator and APK are both unchanged to ensure that as little as possible changed.

Now the Java SDK was changed to Java 11 OpenSDK. Would this have an impact here?

Thanks for your help.

Oh dear, I have figured it out. appium appears to have been updated by another piece of software.

I have had to rip out Appium and install the version that works with KS.

Thanks again for you help.
Sorry for not checking that out first.

No worries, there are a lot of moving pieces when it comes to automated testing! I hope you get it figured out, and let me know if you need anything else.

– Chris

1 Like