Method code too large

Charles, the originator of this discussion, said:

In the Manual view, it’s 1409 lines (items).

How come has he got such a big test case! I was surprised.

Such a mighty test case can not be written by hand. I guess that this big code must have been generated by Web Recorder of Katalon Studio. I can remember how Web Recorder behaves when I start visiting the site http://demoaut.katalon.com/ and navigated through 4 different web pages. In the end the Web Recorder generates a single (fairly large) code as test case. Charles and others possibly used Web Recorder and went through 10 pages, 20 pages or more. A long recording resulted, I guess, 1409 lines.

Web Recorder would generate a big code. That’s OK. That’s the way it works. But one thing, I always regard the generated code as a material, a premature draft, or a sketch which requires careful refinement. I would read the generated code, understand it, and find semantical borders. Then I would split it into a set of code snippets of manageable size.

I am rather afraid that those who are new to Katalon Studio may expect the test case code generated by Web Recorder is near completion. But I swear the code generation is just a start. You have long way to go for continuous rethink and rewriting codes.

1 Like