All things electronics! 🤓

Seems like we got a retrogramer on our forum! :sunglasses:
I was born in '97 so the few games that I considered retro are Half-Life, Counter Strike, and those 8-bit games like Mario and Mega man on our knock-off video game cartridges. :face_with_peeking_eye:

You may want to check out this youtube channel, this guy plays around with a lot of retro-tech and games as well

Interesting, I have only played console once or twice so I couldn’t get used to the control. Gaming with a mouse & keyboard have always feel more natural to me. It is either that or the fact that I could not afford a game console in the past :laughing:

By shooter, do you mean shooting games like Call of Duty and such? Why is that? And what kind, or genres of games do you enjoy?

1 Like

One of the games from EA (back when they still make games and not “surprise mechanics”) is The Sims.

i can still remember the countless hours that I spent building houses and buying furniture only to sadisticially kill off my Sims one by one by “drowning” them in a pool with no ladder, or starving them in a doorless room, etc.

And man, the whole soundtrack is always timeless, but the Buy Mode 1 track will always be close to my heart

1 Like

Yes. Playing such on a console put the player in a big disadvantage, mostly due to the accuracy needed for aiming and the rapid turns needed.
So using a high performance mouse is a must.
I like mostly adventure and hack and slash, e.g. the very old Drakan - Order of the flames (reason for PS2 which have a special edition not available for PC)… God of War (one more reason for PS2 since 1 and 2 are not available for newest… GoW 3 not sure if it was remastered for PS4, it may be) and so on.
For such, at least for me, control with analog joystick is by far better than keyboard and mouse.
For retrogaming, i have about 300 or more buyed on GOG.
Basically, i buyed all the games I liked and struggle to play them with cracks and so on, since, when I was young, I cannot afford them
Not sure when I will have time to play them all.

For even older, i will setup one day a RetroPi. I have the needed hardware, only lack of time to do the ‘assembly’

The only exception from shooters is Serious Sam series. I own everything released up to now (special edition for PS2 only also)

I remember watching some very saucy cutscene of that game back when I was younger :face_with_peeking_eye:

jeeez that’s a lot, but then I also have quite a few games from this little “repack” site called “fitgirl” so :person_shrugging:

same. I guess it is part of adulting :smiling_face_with_tear:

So I booted up my friend’s PS2 slim last weekend…

It felt rather weird, and I guess, refreshing to play as Lara before the newest Tomb Raider trilogy.

Now though the game was released in 2007, so technically I can’t really call it a retro game, but due to the lack of “polygons” in games back then, as well as how my friend’s PS2 Slim rendered the game and making everything looked smudgy and blurry, I guess it did make me feel as if I was playing a game from 1999 or 2000.

And it was the first time in a long time that I got to pick up a controller again so it did take me quite a long time to get used to the control, especially the thumb sticks for moving around and adjusting the camera’s angle.

1 Like

So I got to play Stray - an adventure/platforming game where you get to play as a cat :cat: - yesterday, and the visuals were superb. Somehow my aging laptop could still push out some decent framerates for this game.

Quite refreshing to play from a perspective of a cat, to be honest.

What games are you playing these days (if you manage to find the time, that is)? And do you happen to know any other games similar to this one?

Oh and I love how the devs include these little “mechanics” in the game that let us do “cat things” e.g. getting a paper bag stuck on our head which interestingly revert the whole control scheme → pressing W would go backward instead of forward and so on, clawing up trees, carpet, and furniture, pushing paint bucket off the roof, brushing ourselves against the robots, and my favorite, the box …

No doubt these little details have allow this game to earn the title Playstation Game of the Year

Supaplex!

You can try the full drill of installing Dosbox, grab the binary, configure it etc.
But thx to some Abandonware platforms, those days you can play it online also:

Another one from my childhood, Volfied:

they may look easy to play at the beginning … I challange you!
I think I managed to finish Supaplex once, Volfied not. If my memory is still intact, I was at the last level.

1 Like

These look interesting! I will give them a try soon! Them graphics really pulled me back to my Contra days.

In other news, the Framework laptop is looking super interesting…

There is something about putting together different components of a laptop (with a satisfying “click” of course) that, like Lego, is so therapeutic I think.

Should I take the plunge?
:pleading_face:
:point_right: :point_left:

Never mind, I plunged :woozy_face:

Look who’s here :eyes:

I’ll never give ASUS another penny of my money. I have a Asus RoG laptop (2018). The battery failed at 13 months. Before that a bunch of random keys stopped working. At about 15 months the trackpad stopped working.

Biggest pile of :poop: ever.

You got me quite worry now. I will do my best to cherish the new laptop like a newborn child :rofl:

Had I noticed the thread before, I’d have told you sooner. Sorry. :frowning:

1 Like

It’s alright. I’m enjoying using it now and hopefully I can squeeze out a few years out of it :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:. This is my first time using an all-AMD system so I’m quite keen to see how it will perform. It is already so much better than my previous laptop so can’t complain :3

Mine is relegated to my living room, HDMI into my TV. I use a wireless mouse and keyboard and watch web video (where I can have assurance that my viewing habits are not collected by my smart TV and sent who-knows-where).

1 Like

let me guess, you have an old tv so hdmi-cec is not implemented.

saw such in the past, when i had LG tv’s.
the mediacenter was a raspberry pi with kodi installed, not a refurbished laptop but still.
main issue was, the need for a second remote for the device or using keyboard and mouse.

so, i buyed new tv, samsung.
hdmi-cec works beautufully, even if i plug in a rasp or some other devices hdmi compatible.
so i control it with the tv remote. on off the device, media controls and so on

just saying…
i dont promote samsung… but on the tv market i will never choose anything else.

It’s a Vizio 4K 65" bought when 4K was “new”. Ancient now. :confused:

I’m either going the Samsung route or LG – but not for a while, yet. I’m still considering a short-throw projector but my room will need some heavy-duty HUGE blackout curtains (not to mention a 120"+ screen).