Katalon Studio Version 6.0.4?

@devalex88

What’s this?

What happened to the 5.11 beta cycle?

Why is there no mention of the fix for GlobalVariables?

1 Like

@YoungNgo @Liam_B please help review the release scope.

Because it isn’t fixed, that’s why. I’m not sure I can comment coherently on how disappointing that is (not least considering the amount of help I provided you guys).

@devalex88 @YoungNgo Seriously. I expected better from you guys. It’s like you don’t want some of us to upgrade.

I believe @Russ_Thomas is referring to the fact that in version 6.0.4, the global variables behave differently that previous version. I also consider it to be a bug/downgrade.

In previous version you could have defined a global variable in the Default profile and, if not defined in a specific profile, that variable would still be available to be used and would have the default profile value.

In 6.0.4 the test cases running in a specific profile fail because they do not find the missing global variable that was used from Default profile up until now.
Here is an extract of the error that now occurs:

Reason:
groovy.lang.MissingPropertyException: No such property: LogPrefixString for class: internal.GlobalVariable
at Place booking only.run(Place booking only:155)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.ScriptEngine.run(ScriptEngine.java:194)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.ScriptEngine.runScriptAsRawText(ScriptEngine.java:119)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.runScript(TestCaseExecutor.java:328)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.doExecute(TestCaseExecutor.java:319)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.processExecutionPhase(TestCaseExecutor.java:298)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.accessMainPhase(TestCaseExecutor.java:290)

Anyway, I thank you for your work and reinforce that we are here to help you and you are here to help us.

Cornel Neacsu

1 Like

I was referring to the bug I previously identified. Katalon is using GStrings for code over which they have no control. @devalex88 intimated to me that someone may have modified a build template incorrectly - I wouldn’t know about that but the effect is a broken system. Worse, 6.0.4 still has the same bug.

Start here if you want all the gory details:

My eyes are still burning - please dark theme in next update :grin:

4 Likes

@Neacsu_Cornel if this behavior is unexpected could you please help report it as a bug or a change request?

@Russ_Thomas my apology for this - I hope you can give the development team some time to respond.

1 Like

Yeah, but Alex, since you (they) leap-frogged 5.11 (actually, 5.10) to 6.0.4, I’m left a whole major version behind. I’d love one of the devs to answer this question:

How long is too long to wait for a bug-fix the solution for which I already provided?

Seriously. They can’t now say “we’re working on it”. Time’s up!

Dear @Russ_Thomas,

Several items in beta 5.11 are not in 6.0 but in the next release within the next couple of weeks. There’re things that we need to improve and verify for features in the beta package before merging them to the main branch.
Sorry if it makes you guys confused.

Best regards,
Dung Ngo

1 Like

it would de a good idea !

I was surprised when I saw a “Katalon Studio New Update” to came up.

This dialog clearly instructing all users to upgrade their Katalon Studio NOW to version 6.0.4. I think this dialog should be suspended immediately; because of the reason Russ mentioned.

I think that the next version should be 5.11, not 6.x

I think Katalon Executives should not make too much haste for the plan of Katalon Store and Plugin; You are causing some confusions and disappointments to users. Don’t you realize it?

2 Likes

Admin’s note

Please post your question in a new topic.

Please respect yourself by providing more than a printscreen.
The error mentions a log with details. Please learn how to get that and provide it to the dev team, if we want them to solve issues asap.
Otherwise, please provide them your password as well, so they can try to reproduce the exact same scenario and issue.
I am pretty sure on their account login tests the error is not triggered.

Thank you,
Cornel

That’s always the case - that’s what a branch is for. But anyway, here’s where I am with this now.

You’re painting a picture where there are at least two “release” branches - one drawn from “master” and the other drawn from “something-else” (there must be two, we ended up with two release trains, 5.10.x and 6.0.x).

One is under some kind of control, currently at ~5.10.1. There is a beta from this branch, 5.11 beta which does not contain my fix but I can assume it’s been applied to the branch since. At some point this would be (maybe already has been) merged onto master.

The other branch is some kind of wild horse under less control, where 6.0.4 comes from. My fix has not been applied at…
because it’s not in 6.0.4. Dung explains why above. And that leads me to think this is the “something-else” branch and we have two (at least two) release trains.

I’m struggling here not to decry how bad this sounds. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe there is some kind of scenario where this all makes sense.

Or maybe release 6.0.4 was not a planned release and was actually a mistake.

Judging by the early reports, that might be true.

1 Like

I think the katalon dev team need some help in ‘defining what is beta, what is stable, what is next’ …

You guys cannot launch 6.0 as per change-log docs, but having 6.0.4 as the latest update, keeping the latest docker image at 5.10.1 but applying critical/trivial fixes to 5.x.beta … that confused me too, but i am willing to help

Let’s open a topic for ‘what is the best workflow’ and i am positive most of the guys using this tool can contribute with proposals … most of us are working in similar environments and we can share from our experience

My eyes are still burning - please dark theme in next update :grin:

go home, you are drunk

1 Like