Katalon Studio 8.0.0 much slower in opening and saving files

Sadly, not fixed for me. I am on 8.1.0 and performance did not improve. Opened a ticket Aug 19th with no resolution.

If you really on 8.1.0, then your problem must be due to another cause, which would require new research and debugging efforts. You should create a new post and provide more information about your case.

I am on Studio Enterprise 8.1.0-8358ac4f. I opened a ticket with Katalon support on August 19th but have heard nothing back other than they received the ticket. When I inquired about a status they said developers where on “a vacation” so maybe this is a time of year when they are off an extended period of time. I explained the problem and attached a zip file of my project which should have made the problem immediately apparent when they opened the project. This is the text of the ticket:

"Ever since I upgraded to version 8.0 my tests cases have been VERY slow to open. What used to take a few seconds now takes a minimum of 15-20 seconds, sometimes as long a a minute. Same problem creating new test cases or renaming items. In addition, studio occasionally hangs for several seconds (sometimes a minute or longer) just clicking between open test cases. Before release 8.0 things were very speedy. While this may not seem like a big deal, it is quite an annoyance and makes it frustrating to use this tool now. "

I have a very large page object repository and approximately 195 test cases but I would not think that volume would slow the tool down so much but it has. I will give support more time to get back to me but I have to say I’m a little disappointed it has gone this long with no update. Also, we are looking to hire more automation testers but management is not comfortable paying for addition licenses until the performance issue is addressed.

@duyluong

Any comment?

@jmartinelli

In the v8.0.0 Release note:
https://docs.katalon.com/katalon-studio/new/what-is-new-800.html#opening-large-projects-much-faster

They wrote:

Opening large Projects much faster

What we need from you is a little patience for the first time.

Read it first.
Their request might be applicable to you, isn’t it?
If not, please describe how your case is different.

@duyluong, @ThanhTo

In my humble opinion, Katalon Team had an option how to design the design change at v8.0:

1. as implemented at v8.0; on the first opening of a Katalon project, compile all Custom Keywords as a batch and save the artifacts into the .cache folder. At 2nd and following times of project opening, search the .cache folder first for the compilation artifacts. At the 1st opening it takes fairly long time for batch compilation.

2. An alternative design should have been possible: “just in time caching”. At the first time of project opening, it does not do batch compilation of Custom Keywords. When a test case runs and call a Custom Keyword, Katalon Studio checks the .cache folder for the keyword, and if not found, do compile it from the source and write the artifact into the .cache. The speed of project opening will stay the same as v7.9.x. The speed of project running get gradually faster time after time, since more and more Custom Keywords will be looked up from the .cache. This design will gradually improve the performance of repetitive executions of a big Katalon project with mass of Custom Keywords. But the improvement will not be observed drastically. So that is not very impressive for marketing-promotion wise.

In CI/CD environment, it is likely that a Katalon project is always freshly cloned out of the Source Code Repository (Git, Svn, etc) to the execution machine at every CI/CD cycle. This means the project is opened everytime for the first time. In this case user will notice “in CI/CD environment the project opens more slowly in v8.0 than v7.9, no improvement we got”. I am afraid that the “Opening large Projects much faster” at v8.0 will look poor for CI/CD environment.

1 Like

I do not think this is relevant since the problem is not the first time the project is opened. Problem is after the project is opened, just navigating through the project is very slow. Opening test cases, opening test suites, renaming items, switching between open items, etc.

Let me state that I think this is an incredible product! I have evaluated a lot of automation tools and I think this is best I have used. That is why I am frustrated because I want to bring other QA teams within Imprivata onto the tool but I cannot recommend it until the performance issue is resolved. I would like to see this tool adopted by many more people and become an industry standard. However I am concerned that as my project has grown large (which is a good thing) the performance has degraded.

Have you ever checked the .log file to see if it records any Exceptions? If you find any Exceptions and StackTraces, that would indicate something that causes the slowness.

Katalon Studio logs

• Windows logs folder:
    <Katalon Studio folder>\config\.metadata\.log

• macOS logs folder:
    file:///Applications/Katalon%20Studio.app/Contents/MacOS/config/.metadata/log

Would you share it with us?

Are you on Windows, Linux, or Mac? In which folder (directory) did you install Katalon Studio?

Many of kms workers live in Vietnam. As you may be aware of, Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam is in strict Covid-19 restrictions these days. You should just wait with empathy.

My system:
Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v2 @ 2.60GHz
Ram: 16 GB

Katalon is installed in: C:\Katalon\Katalon_Studio_Windows_64-7.7.2
My project is in: C:\Users\automation\git\FW_UI Regression Automation

I checked for updates:

There a lot of exceptions in the log file, I attached it.
katalon.log (616.3 KB)

We only have one node locked license for our one automation server so I am unable to install on another server to see if the problem follows.

I suspect something got out of sync when first updated to version 8 and I hope I do not have to fully re-install since that makes me nervous with all the project setup and connections to Jira, Git, Test Ops, etc.

One addition symptom is when I click on the Project menu item, Settings is grayed out.

Lastly, I did not realize support was in Vietnam, I certainly pray for their safely.

I looked at the log file. I found a lot of fatal Exceptions. I believe that your Katalon Studio installation is corrupted.

Did you do “Install and Re-launch” as documented at
https://docs.katalon.com/katalon-studio/docs/auto-updater.html

Years ago, I have ever did it once and got the installation corrupted. Since then, I never follow it. I never do “Install and Re-lauch”.

I always stop Katalon Studio before updating it. Then I would delete the old installation directory, recreate the directory where I install the new version of KS into, and start it. Yes, I have to do all setups again. But I always do clean-install.

Why I do not trust the "Install and Re-lauch? — I wrote my opinion in the following post:

Katalon Team should advise users (on Windows only) that they should do -clean once after upgrading Katalon Studio if they update Katalon Studio in-place .

@jmartinelli

On your own personal computer (apart from your CI/CD machine with a paid license) you can install Katalon Studio Enterprise with a trial license. You should try it to see if your project runs OK in the clean environment. If it runs OK, you would get decided to do clean-install on your CI/CD machine.

Hi @jmartinelli,

Sorry for my late response. We got the ticket and your attached project. We tried to reproduce on our side but the issue doesn’t occur on our side.
We received your recorded video and still working on it.

From your side, you can try to do the same actions (open or edit test case) on other machines with KS trail license or KS free license like @kazurayam mention above.

Btw, Katalon Studio development and support team are both currently in HCMC, Vietnam. We are still working well although the city is currently lockdown due to Covid-19 restriction.

What is HCMC?

What is HCMC?

Ho Chi Minh City

Hello,
I installed Katalon fresh on another server and cloned the project from git. I still have lag issue, in fact a little worse for some reason. It does not allow me to upload a video but I attached the log file. KatalonLog.txt (219.1 KB)

In reply to how I updated, I did do the “Install and Re-launch” option. Since there are so many fatal errors in the log on my automation server, perhaps I need to just bite the bullet and re-do that installation. Although I do not think that will solve whatever problem I have with my project since the fresh install on the trial version did not improve performance.

Thank you all for any ideas you have presented, this is definitely a strange one!

@jmartinelli

I looked at your 2nd log file KatalonLog.txt. The 2nd log is completely different from the 1st one, which is good. Still the 2nd log contains strange messages.

In the KatalonLog.txt, I found this:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 4 0 2021-09-27 14:23:46.617
!MESSAGE 
!STACK 0
java.lang.IllegalStateException: this writer hit an unrecoverable error; cannot commit
	at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.prepareCommitInternal(IndexWriter.java:3177)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.commitInternal(IndexWriter.java:3445)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.shutdown(IndexWriter.java:1046)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.close(IndexWriter.java:1087)

The message “this writer … cannot commit” indicates that you have some permission problem.

I searched google for something similar, and found this post in Katalon Forum at March
2019:

@duyluong

You were involved in the post in March 2019. Any idea for @jmartinelli’s case ?

@jmartinelli

In the 2nd log, I found:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.egit.ui 4 0 2021-09-27 14:19:03.279
!MESSAGE http://it-git.fairwarning.com/qa-team/regression-automation.git: not authorized
!STACK 0
org.eclipse.jgit.api.errors.TransportException: http://it-git.fairwarning.com/qa-team/regression-automation.git: not authorized
	at org.eclipse.jgit.api.LsRemoteCommand.execute(LsRemoteCommand.java:221)
	at org.eclipse.jgit.api.LsRemoteCommand.call(LsRemoteCommand.java:159)
	at org.eclipse.egit.core.op.ListRemoteOperation.run(ListRemoteOperation.java:100)
	at com.kms.katalon.composer.integration.git.components.wizards.CustomSourceBranchPage$8.run(CustomSourceBranchPage.java:332)
	at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:122)
Caused by: org.eclipse.jgit.errors.TransportException: http://it-git.fairwarning.com/qa-team/regression-automation.git: not authorized
	at org.eclipse.jgit.transport.TransportHttp.connect(TransportHttp.java:519)
	at org.eclipse.jgit.transport.TransportHttp.openFetch(TransportHttp.java:311)
	at org.eclipse.jgit.api.LsRemoteCommand.execute(LsRemoteCommand.java:198)
	... 4 more

This message looks unique to your environment it-git.fairwarning.com; and you seem to have an authorization problem. Do you have any idea?

@jmartinelli

You installed Katalon under the folder C:\Katalon. I have a doubt about it for permissions.

Could you try installing Katalon in a folder of which your OS user has 100% read/write permission? For example in your user home: 'C:\Users\Jim.Martinelli\Katalon_Studio-8.1.0'.

Or, How about executing it with a Windows user as Administrator?

Hello,
That GIT error was my fault, I had initially mistyped the password for the connection to GIT but resolved it.