Katalon Studio 8.0.0 much slower in opening and saving files

@duyluong
@ThanhTo

As you may be aware of, the Eclipse IDE’s README document writes;

Platform - Install/Update

Manually installing features and plug-ins on a FAT file system (Windows only)

When features and plug-ins are manually installed on top of an Eclipse-based product install located on a FAT file system that has already been run at least once, the product must be explicitly restarted with -clean. That is,

eclipse.exe -clean

I could find this document on my Mac at file://<eclipse installed directory>/eclipse/java-2021-03/Eclipse.app/Contents/Eclipse/readme/readme_eclipse.html

Cleaning the Eclipse’ internal cache with -clean option sometimes solve subtle problems which occur when you have removed or changed some externally installed plugins to Eclipse and other Eclipse’ settings.

I suppose the Content Assist feature of Java/Groovy Editor UI, which is invoked by Ctrl+Space key stroke, is dependent on the cache of classes. Any reference to a cached class, which was contained in a plugin and now is missing as the plugin has been removed, may cause failure & recovery (so called “the reconcile process”). The “reconciliation” would make the Editor slow.

I guess, upgrading the product package (e.g, KS 7.8.x → 8.0.0) possibly includes some changes of bundled plugin. Most of the users would not be affected by the change as they are likely not using the problem plugin, but some heavy users who are dependent on the problem plugin may encounter difficulties.

Katalon Team should advise users (on Windows only) that they should do -clean once after upgrading Katalon Studio if they update Katalon Studio in-place.

If users install a new version of Katalon Studio into a new folder while leaving the older one, and switch to the new installation, they would not need -clean as the new installation is already clean.

I personally never do in-place update of Eclipse (=Katalon Studio) on Windows, I always create new installation for each versions; because I am worried about difficulties that tends to occur after in-place update.

It would be a good idea if you bundle another Katalon Studio launcher icon with -clean option specified in the distributable. Users will just double click it to launch Katalon Studio with -clean option after upgrading the version.

Note that it takes far longer seconds to launch Eclipse with -clean, so that we would not like it usually.