Katalon integration with Docker

I have Docker installed and have pulled latest “katalonstudio/katalon” image.
I have a test-suite that runs with no issue on Katalon studio. Attemting to run it via Docker.
In a CMD interface I have changed directory to the folder containing the test suite under sub-folder “CloudLogin”, and run the following command:

docker run -t --rm -v “$(pwd)”:/tmp/project katalonstudio/katalon katalonc.sh -projectPath=/tmp/project -browserType=“Chrome” -retry=0 -statusDelay=15 -testSuitePath="/CloudLogin"

Reply I get:
C:\Program Files\Docker\Docker\resources\bin\docker.exe: invalid reference format.
See ‘C:\Program Files\Docker\Docker\resources\bin\docker.exe run --help’.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

@amir.shapira

I don’t think this is a problem with katalon per se. I think this is a relevant StackOverflow answer

I am basically wanting to run a Katalon test-suite via docker, so that I can run my tests from a CI tool such as Travis/Bamboo. However, I cannot find the right format, and the documentation is scarce.
Can you point me to a document that explains the Docker command syntax for running a test-suite, or suggest another way of running tests automatically from Bamboo?

Please see the StackOverflow answer

In powershell you should use ${pwd} vs $(pwd)

Try to use ${pwd} instead of $(pwd)

The Docker command syntax is available in the docs:

Thank you for the quick response, appreciate your assistance. I have already tried that, and the error is now different:
“invalid reference format: repository name must be lowercase.”

Not sure what the Repository name refers to.
You do have a video regarding the use of Katalon in Docker, but it is very vague and does not explain what the command parameters and options are.Do you have any detailed documents around this?

@amir.shapira

The parameters that are relevant to Katalon are actually the command line parameters, but I don’t think that’s what you’re interested in. The rest are Docker parameters which I don’t think we have a tutorial on. I think there’s a post on the forum with the similar error above:

Additionally, there are some samples (not Bamboo) but related to Docker that you can try out:

My docker’s knowledge is limited, so may have to wait for other experts to help.

Maybe the issue is a KRE. I have downloaded it, but trying to run it seem to fail.
CMD prompt open for a short while, and then close:
Activating…
Start activating offline…
Search for valid offline licenses in folder: C:\Users\amir.shapira.katalon\license
The number of valid offline licenses:
Offline activation failed .
Start activating online…

You would need to include an API key in your command line. The API key must be generated from an account that belongs to an organization with a node-locked KRE license, in order for the license to be recognized by KRE.

For Docker, the license you need is DevOps KRE license.

Hello everyone,

You’re recommended to read this announcement regarding the consolidation of both Katalon Runtime Engine DevOps and Floating licenses into one licensing offering, Floating .

Jass

How I could run my Test Suite on Docker:

Open cmd on your Project path

Your command should start like this:
docker run -t --rm -v “%cd%”:/tmp/project katalonstudio/katalon katalonc.sh -projectPath=/tmp/project

IMPORTANT:
If you are using windows, use “%cd%”, if you are using Linux use “$(pwd)”. This is what was causing my “invalid reference format” error.
ALSO: You should have a License for Runtime Engine

Use “Generate Command” option in Katalon to have the rest of the command: https://docs.katalon.com/katalon-studio/docs/console-mode-execution.html#command-builder

Replace
katalonc -noSplash -runMode=console -projectPath=“C:\Users\UserX\Katalon Studio\ProjectX\projectx.prj”

with the beginning of the command
docker run -t --rm -v “%cd%”:/tmp/project katalonstudio/katalon katalonc.sh -projectPath=/tmp/project

So, your entire command should be like this:

docker run -t --rm -v “%cd%”:/tmp/project katalonstudio/katalon katalonc.sh -projectPath=/tmp/project -retry=0 -testSuitePath=“Test Suites/MyTestSuite” -browserType=“Chrome” -executionProfile=“Default” -apiKey=“xxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxx” --config -proxy.auth.option=NO_PROXY -proxy.system.option=NO_PROXY -proxy.system.applyToDesiredCapabilities=true

1 Like