Introduction to Runtime Engine

9 posts were split to a new topic: KRE Licensing questions

A post was merged into an existing topic: KRE Licensing questions

A post was split to a new topic: KRE Free version?

Which is better and What is the difference between, Node-locked license and DevOps license (Katalon Runtime Engine)

Hey uday

The differences between DevOps and Node-locked licenses are mentioned here.

Jass

@ Jass
For DevOps, along with the License do you provide a Cloud as well?

Hey!

Could you help me find the information.
Is it need to have a KSE on a machine that will run KRE?

Thanks!

KSE is for test development, and KRE is for test execution. You don’t need to have an KSE on the machine that runs tests with KRE.

Ok.
And what about licence? Could I use KRE when the lic will end?
Is Internet need on the machine with KRE for running?

1 Like

Hello everyone,

You’re recommended to read this announcement regarding the consolidation of both Katalon Runtime Engine DevOps and Floating licenses into one licensing offering, Floating .

Jass

1 Like

Hallo there. Can someone please elaborate on the difference between KRE and an Agent? It seems like they overlap?
In-fact, I have an Agent with a KS Free installed, and I get in the log the errors:

[2021-03-23T12:30:42.171Z] [DEBUG]: 	Your trial has expired. Please subscribe to continue using Katalon Runtime Engine.

Is it correct to say that Agent+(KS-GUI) = KRE ?

Thanks!

Hi. I downloaded Katalon Studio Engine 7.9 for mac. But after I clicked the installation package, it would crash and no thing would show. Could you please help me?

@yuan.wan

When installing Katalon Runtime Engine or Katalon Studio for macOS, we recommend putting the packages in the Applications folder before using them.

I followed your advice but still met the same problem. Here’s the video that I tried to install the Katalon Runtime Engine. It should be more clear to show my problem.

Thank you!

Hi @yuan.wan

You need to open the terminal and navigate to the folder of the Applications folder (macOS).

Enter the following syntax to execute automation test on macOS::

cd /Applications/Katalon\ Studio\ Engine.app/Contents/MacOS 

./katalonc --args {option1} {option2} ... {optionN}

You can learn further how to execute Katalon tests using Runtime Engine in this document. The Command Builder is particularly helpful if you’re new to Katalon.

Jass

1 Like

Thank you!

Hi,

Have installed KRE as katalon user:

/katalon/Katalon_Studio_Engine_Linux_64-8.0.5

When i try to lauch test on demo katalon projet :slight_smile:

[katalon@YYYYYY]$ ./katalonc -noSplash -runMode=console -consoleLog -profile=“default” -projectPath="/test/shopping-cart-tests-master/shopping-cart-tests.prj" -retry=0 -testSuitePath=“Test Suites/Run All Test Suites” _executionProfile=“default” -browserType=“Chrome (headless)”
Katalon workspace folder is set to default location: /tmp/session-ee0586ac
Starting Groovy-Eclipse compiler resolver. Specified compiler level: unspecified
138 org.codehaus.groovy_2.4.20.v202009301404-e2006-RELEASE ACTIVE

INFO: Katalon Version: 8.0.5
INFO: Command-line arguments: -runMode=console -profile=default -projectPath=/test/shopping-cart-tests-master/shopping-cart-tests.prj -retry=0 -testSuitePath=Test Suites/Run All Test Suites _executionProfile=default -browserType=Chrome (headless)
INFO: User working dir: /katalon/Katalon_Studio_Engine_Linux_64-8.0.5
INFO: Error log: /tmp/session-ee0586ac/.metadata/.log
INFO: Katalon TestOps server URL: https://analytics.katalon.com
INFO: Katalon Store server URL: https://store.katalon.com
INFO: User home: /home/katalon
INFO: Java vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
INFO: Java version: 1.8.0_272
INFO: Local OS: Linux 64bit
INFO: CPU load: 0%
INFO: Total memory: 9826 MB
INFO: Free memory: 6593 MB
Start getting machine ID on Linux
End getting machine ID on Linux xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Start appending additional signatures
hardwareSerialNumber
osDependentUsername katalon
End appending additional signatures xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx__katalon
INFO: Machine ID: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
INFO: Your environment is compatible with the Katalon Runtime Engine NODE-LOCKED or FLOATING license. For a fixed machine ID, use a NODE-LOCKED license; for a dynamic machine ID, use a FLOATING license.

Activating…
Start activating offline…
Search for valid offline licenses in folder: /home/katalon/.katalon/license
Start checking license: UNLIMITED_ENGINE_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.lic
UNLIMITED_ENGINE_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.lic is valid.
The number of valid offline licenses: 1
The number of Runtime Engine running sessions: 1
Delete folder: bin
Delete folder: Libs
Cleaning up workspace
Opening project file: /test/shopping-cart-tests-master/shopping-cart-tests.prj

Fri Jul 09 10:17:49 CEST 2021
Cannot send request, retry to send.

No proxy found.
Generating global variables…
Parsing custom keywords…
Project ‘shopping-cart-tests’ opened
Start reloading plugins…
Start check license task
com.kms.katalon.execution.exception.ExecutionException: com.kms.katalon.execution.exception.InvalidConsoleArgumentException: Test suite ‘Test Suites/Run All Test Suites’ not found.
at com.kms.katalon.execution.console.entity.TestSuiteLauncherOptionParser.getConsoleLauncher(TestSuiteLauncherOptionParser.java:280)
at com.kms.katalon.execution.console.ConsoleExecutor.execute(ConsoleExecutor.java:74)
at com.kms.katalon.execution.console.ConsoleMain.launch(ConsoleMain.java:425)
at com.kms.katalon.console.application.ConsoleApplicationStarter.start(ConsoleApplicationStarter.java:37)
at com.kms.katalon.application.Application.runConsole(Application.java:125)
at com.kms.katalon.application.Application.start(Application.java:88)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:203)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:137)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:107)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:401)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:255)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:657)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:594)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1447)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1420)
Caused by: com.kms.katalon.execution.exception.InvalidConsoleArgumentException: Test suite ‘Test Suites/Run All Test Suites’ not found.
at com.kms.katalon.execution.console.entity.TestSuiteLauncherOptionParser.throwInvalidTestSuiteIdException(TestSuiteLauncherOptionParser.java:372)
at com.kms.katalon.execution.console.entity.TestSuiteLauncherOptionParser.getTestSuite(TestSuiteLauncherOptionParser.java:367)
at com.kms.katalon.execution.console.entity.TestSuiteLauncherOptionParser.buildRunConfig(TestSuiteLauncherOptionParser.java:298)
at com.kms.katalon.execution.console.entity.TestSuiteLauncherOptionParser.getConsoleLauncher(TestSuiteLauncherOptionParser.java:277)
… 18 more

All launchers terminated

Had to use => -testSuiteCollectionPath=Test Suites/Run All Test Suites
And not => -testSuitePath=“Test Suites/Run All Test Suites”

Hi

“KSE is for test development, and KRE is for test execution. You don’t need to have an KSE on the machine that runs tests with KRE.”

1 reply

So please update document :

Prerequisites:

• You need a Runtime Engine (RE) license to activate ANd run Katalon Studio (KS) or Katalon Studio Enterprise (KSE) in console mode

So not AND but OR.

Thank you in avance.

Best Regards.

How does KRE understand where to pick up the code and driver details from ? Is it from Testops?