"Interactive" Test with Katalon

Hi Erik

If I understand what you’re asking for, short answer, no.

The longer answer is, perhaps, kind of, maybe.

I think what you’re asking for used to be referred to as Scripted Mode (it’s unfortunate that the noun/verb “script” is so overloaded and (mis)used these days but I’m going to try to make it clear, here, right at the outset).

A long time ago (couple decades or more), there was the idea that a “tester” needed to be told what to do by a “script”. (S)he read from a “script”. The script could interact with the tester (user) and interact with the AUT. It appeared alongside the AUT and the tester followed instructions in the script and responded to prompts which drove the AUT. I think there was a way to do this in Se1 (before the webdriver/Se2 stuff came along). But anyway…

It was a dumb way to test – for reasons too numerous to mention, it was just awful. I think (for me) the worst was, it never really told you anything. That is, it was hard to “measure” and gauge results and generate useful metrics/statistics. I know this because I wrote one. It worked GREAT! But the outcomes? Essentially useless.

So, assuming that’s the kind of thing you’re asking about, here’s the answer to, can Katalon do this?

No, not right out of the box. However, Katalon allows you to inject JavaScript into the page. If you can inject JavaScript, you can inject JS that creates a UI. So you could write your own.

But remember, just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.

2 Likes