How to define Global Variables within Scripts, i.e. "on the fly"?

Kaz, this should be written (edited) to add to the website. Superb and detailed explanation.

1 Like

Kazurayam,

Sorry for beeing late, I was and still am currently on vacation. You did a great work! I’m very sorry that your efforts were in vain. But actually you seem to be right that the new “Import from Git” function is exactly what I need!

I’ll try that once I get back to work, but I think it really does fit the concept of how we want our teams to work together on projects and custom keywords in the future.

Thanks a lot, dear kazurayam, one more time! :slight_smile:

I’d like to give you a little summary after using the new Katalon Keywords import function as kazurayam indicated above. I.e., I version my central Keywords projects using Git (Bitbucket), where I omit the contents of all other, not needed subdirectories except the Keywords subdirectory via .gitignore.

But the catch is:
When importing such a Keywords project versioned by the Katalon built-in Git client into the target Keywords folder, the original Keywords root folder itself is of course also imported, so that one “Keywords” directory level is created too much. Of course, this can be easily fixed in the target project by renaming the Keywords package name directly in Katalon Studio. But this doesn’t seem to be a very well thought-out solution. The alternative would be to use an external Git client to version only the central Keywords subdirectory itself and not its entire project folder.

I know. “Import Keywords from Git” is badly designed. See my previous post:

I was amazed at this oddity.

However I found “Import Keywords from Folder” is useful as it enables me to choose which folder to import.

I am now trying to combine a Katalon Studio project and a Gradle project into one file-tree which is version-controlled by Git. Gradle is the de-facto standard “build automation tool” for Java/Groovy world.

Importing/Exporting Keywords is in fact just copying a file tree from xxx to yyy. Gradle can manage copying/deleting/renaming/zipping/unzipping files far better than Katalon. I would like to make use of Gradle functionality to supplement Katalon Studio in managing test fixtures and test results in 100% customizable way.

The problem I am currently focused is: Export/Import Browser Cookie.

I want to execute Katalon test using Browser with pre-cached Cookies. Some web application provides “customized view per each user” using Cookie as session control information. I want to test if the session control is properly designed and functioning with dirty Cookies. In order to test it session control by dirty Cookies, I need to “Export/Import Browser Cookie” for Katalon project. I believe I can manage preparing the test fixture using Gradle.

1 Like

Oh, is this another new feature I’ve overlooked so far? I’m not at work at the moment and can’t look at it until later …

As I unfortunately only noticed now, Sergii Tyshchenko had already presented the solution for my original problem, how to declare global variables dynamically at runtime (without any manual preparation in the profile menus of Katalon Studio). Nevertheless, this is still a very useful insight for me!

TIme passed and the Forum system changed. New URL to Sergii’s post is here

I was surprised to find the post is dated at Jun, 2018 — also surprised that I made some comment to the same discussion but I forgot it at all. ---- in fact, I did not know Groovy metaprogramming then and could not understand Sergi’s code.

The pioneer of metaprogramming in Katalon Studio is here, Sergii.

kazurayam,

because I just stumbled across this old thread again and your plan at that time regarding Gradle: Did you pursue this any further? I ask, because beyond the version control with Git, which is actually needed for teamwork, I could never really get to grips with the idea to redundantly copy any artifacts (be it required jar libraries, data files, browser extensions or even keywords files) from their respective sources into the individual project (sub)directories.

Have you ever considered using symlinks for this? I don’t know under which operating system you work, but for me it was just a surprising revelation that symlinks are as powerful on Windows as they are on Linux - and make permanent synchronization completely superfluous. That’s why I now work with an overall setup where the central development and versioning of my keywords takes place in separate projects. Thanks to the symlinks, the respective development status there is always immediately available in all my test-suite development projects. But of course I don’t push the keywords into their remote Git repositories until they has been sufficiently tested so that I can release them for productive purposes. So it is of course no problem to manage these central keywords development projects with an external Git client in such a way that only the respective keywords subdirectory is contained in the corresponding repository and can therefore be easily imported from there into the productive test-suite projects with exact that function which ist provided therefore in Katalon Studio.

In the end quite simply and effectively solved, don’t you think?

Depencencies to external jar files can be resolved by com.katalon.gradle-plugin. Have a look at the following topic:

No.

How do you automate setting up symlinks for you? Unless automated, it would not be a favorable solution for you. Katalon Studio will NOT help for managing symlinks at all. Then how?

Will you use Gradle to automate symlinks management? It would be possible. But Gradle is a huge accumulation of tools. You may find it difficult to learn.

The following comment by Dung Ngo may interest you:

http://forum.katalon.com/t/lounge-discussion-4-the-page-object-model-pom/18142/30

There he wrote:

In long term, when the Katalon core and API are rich and stable enough, Katalon users can leverage and build anything on top of those.

This would imply that you can build a project in IntelliJ or Eclipse backed by Maven or Gradle empowered by the published jar files of Katalon API.

I have ever tried to “build” Katalon project in the external IDEs such as IntelliJ and Eclipse.

I could compile the Groovy source codes of my custom keywords and tests for them with JUnit4 and run them in Eclipse. Not in Katalon Studio, in Eclipse. Yes, I could build them.

Though my original motivation (testing custom keywords with JUnit4) was not quite successfully achieved because it was impossible to mock the Katalon runtime environment in Eclipse.

This experiment proved that I would be able to create a jar file which contains the binary class files of my custom keywords using Gradle. jar of my custom keywords!

If you could set up Gradle and write build.gradle file in your Katalon project appropriately, you can create the jar with Gradle’s command

$ gradle jar

and you can install the jar and pom files to the local Maven cache by the following one line:

$ gradle install

uploading the artifacts to some Maven repositories on network is also breeze by Gradle.

And at last, in another Katalon project, you want to reuse the jar. Ok, you will use com.katalon.gradle-plugin which I mentioned above.

Here I wrote write build.gradle appropriately. I would estimate it would require me to devote a few weekends.

Yes, I had already flown over your very interesting instructions and bookmarked your post for a possible later implementation. At the moment I’m still using my symlink approach even for the (manually resolved) jar libraries as well, which is not ideal for them indeed. Thanks for this great hint!

You guess correctly that I haven’t really automated this part yet, but at the moment I’m still helping myself with a simple cheat file, from which I copy the required mklink command including the respective path and execute it manually on the command line. However, I plan to use a PowerShell script for these processes in the future, which will create all needed symlinks after the first setup of a new project by Katalon Studio, depending on the respecive answers to the corresponding questions. All symlinks are created with relative paths, which ensures that they will still work when the Katalon Studio projects on this shared drive are used from an authorized client computer on the corporate network.

Almost all types of symlinks are used: Hard and soft links, to entire directories or individual files, but also junctions - depending on the artifact at hand. Usually they are softlinks, but especially my two needed versions of the .gitignore file (the one for keywords development projects and the one for real testsuite projects) require hard links, because Git has to identify them as real files to be able to recognize and manage their contents. To avoid having to create these files again and again, which would be potentially error-prone, because Katalon Studio first creates its own version of this file during the project creation process, I edit my versions in central template files, my single point of truth.

For these reasons I think the most obvious thing to do is

1. to start my own project configuration process immediately after Katalon Studio has finished the project setup, and
  2. to use symlinks instead of copies in this process.

I am aware that my way of working and the division of labour with the teams inside and outside our company may be a little special. However, I could imagine that such an approach could also contribute to more reliable project structures and code standards in larger testing departments.

Good enough. You have automated the symlink management!

To be honest, I’m not sure if you’re serious or mocking me. :wink: Because this cheat file is actually very helpful because I don’t have to change a single character in these commands for a new project. Since the relative paths always remain the same, I only have to execute these commands in the respective new project (sub)directories. I actually think that’s half the way to automating these process steps.

And to pick up my earlier thought from above in this thread again …

Why not trigger both processes in one AutoHotkey script, first the project setup process by Katalon Studio itself and immediately afterwards the configuration process?

Remember, 20 July 1969 on the Moon, Neil Armstrong said

That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

my seriousness : kidding == 49: 51

AutoHotkey is for Windows people. How Mac and Linux people live without it?

Meanwhile I guess that Apache Ant, especially the task type Symlink, should be a good choice to do this trick platform-independently.

I stumbled across it in a different context when I was looking for a robust way to store my test results in a complex directory structure on an SFTP server in one go (look at the SCP task type for this). The actual FTP protocol is not very suitable for this requirement, because the required directories would have to be created and checked individually.

The nice thing is: There are Java libraries for Ant, with which all these useful task types, which the test automation engineer needs daily, can be used directly in Katalon Studio. :slight_smile:

However, I have to warn against two important disadvantages of symlinks in connection with the use of Git:

1. Git can’t use the content of files included by soft symlink. Therefore, soft symlinks should only be used for files that are excluded from the repository by .gitignore (e.g. the /Drivers subdirectory).
  2. If another git branch is checked out and all relevant files in the project directory are exchanged in the file system, then even the connections of hard links become broken. As a result, when the original git branch is checked out again, independent copies of the previously only linked files are created in the file system.

For these reasons, I would generally only recommend the use of soft and hard links in connection with Git if it is clear from the outset that only a master branch is to be used in the development directory and no later branch checkout will be needed.

For me, neither of these aspects are real drawbacks. But I am aware that they limit the usability of this approach to very specific use cases.

But for everyone else, a look at the Apache Ant API might also be helpful, because it can do tons of other build tasks as well. If you don’t want your configuration templates to be symlinks, the required files could also be synchronized or updated to your project directory whenever needed.

Sorry, I’m late to the party here…

AHK is pure GOLD!

I have a bunch of these setup. For example, I type “Test” + some page object, then two dots “…” like this:

TestMyPage..

and out pops:

import static com.my_company.utils.*

public class Test extends com.my_company.my_page {

Test() {

def myPageNew = new com.my_company.my_pageNew()

writeAUTMessage '1 - my_pageNew'
    my_pageNew.navigateTo()

writeAUTMessage '2 - '

writeAUTMessage '3 - '

}
}

try {
  new Test()
  passThisTest()
} catch(Exception e) {
  failThisTest(e.message)
}