Happy Geek Pride Day! 🎉

Gif

Hi folks, :wave:

Did you know that today is Geek Pride Day? (Not to be confused with the upcoming Pride month in June :no_good_woman:)

A little history about the holiday

It started in Spain in 2006, after a Spanish blogger named Germán Martínez suggested a holiday called Dia del Orgullo Friki - which roughly translated to *Geek Pride “Tag”? - according to Google Translate, to celebrate everything geeky such as comic books, science fiction, fantasy, cosplaying, role-playing games, and more.

The holiday then became popular online rather quickly and spread to the US in 2008

So today, feel free to unleash your inner geek! Let us know what you are passionate about. You like games? Tell us about your favorite games? Do you build your own PC? Show us your setup :raised_hands:

Are you a movie buff? Then tell us about your favorite genre(s) of movie and drop some recommendations as well down below! :point_down:

Or maybe you are a coding geek, then tell us about your latest project! What have you learn? Any demo?

We are also running a small trivia quiz which you can enter to win prizes from us! :partying_face:

3 Likes

Happy Geek Pride Day!

1 Like

I have submitted

1 Like

So I played Stray recently, and it was a rather fun and unique game (most probably due to the fact that you are playing as a cat :cat:), and it reminded me of how interesting platforming games could be. You can check out my impression (and screenshots) of the game via this thread.

Though more games are becoming multiplayer-oriented, I still lean forward to singleplayer campaigns in games because of the story as well as to appreciate the world and level designs that artists, designers, and developers have poured their hearts into.

One of the games that I really like in terms of world design is the Bioshock franchise. Imagine being stranded in a city at the bottom of the ocean of which society was (or had already) fallen apart due to civil war, and having to avoid running into the people living there (who at that point were all spliced up and ready to kill you on sight) while soaking up the glorious Art Deco aesthetics.

Oh, and let’s not forget about the whole philosophy of which the city is based on - Objectivism - which I do not think I could cover completely in this topic.

Happy Geek Pride Day! The quiz was fun!

1 Like

Hi @bob2,

Thanks for taking part in the quiz and we are glad to hear that you like it! We hope that the quiz has also allowed you to learn something new or interesting :smile:

Now since you are in this thread, feel free to share about anything “geeky” that you like e.g. a movie, TV series, game, computer, music, etc. :wink:

A post was merged into an existing topic: [Quiz] Geek Pride Day :gift:

That’s quite interesting! Would you mind explaining more? What do you like about laptops more than desktops? And do you have a favorite brand? :wink:

@tayyaba.inamdar I am guessing that many people have come to you for advice on which laptops to choose. Well then, I was wondering if you could give me your thoughts on the laptop below…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235030217785

Hi William, :wave:

It seems like you have an affinity for retro techs. I am going to take a wild guess and say that the IBM 1130 was your first computer.

Feel free to let us know in the thread below :point_down:

Funny thing is that I was actually going to put one question about the emergence of House music in the 1980s based on the video below

Which genre(s) of music do you like? and do you have a favorite artist(s)?

And by computing, did you mean hardware or software?

Now I am intrigued. Can you share a bit about your gears, and possible a Flickr page, or Instagram, or whichever platform you usually post your pictures onto? :wink:

Welcome back Arnel! :wave:

Thanks for taking part in the quiz!

And I see that you are having Venom as your avatar. Does that mean that he is your favorite character in the Spider-man universe?

Thanks, Albert!

I really enjoyed the quiz! I look forward for more! :smiley:

Yeah, I think Venom is a badass character and I think he’s been my avatar for 4 years. Planning to change it to Deadpool, but still thinking. . . :laughing:

2 Likes

What is making you hesitant to switch? Is it the contrast between the two characters, or…? :thinking:

Thank you for completing the quiz! :star_struck:

Do you also happen to equip your home with smart devices e.g. lighting, door lock, thermostats, etc.

Are you locked into a specific Smart Home ecosystem? e.g. Apple HomeKit, Google Home, or Samsung SmartThings, etc.

And what do you think about Matter, the new open-source, interoperability standard for smart devices?

1 Like

Thanks for asking @albert.vu

120 devices are working in my home, still counting. And as you can imagine with so much devices I am working independent from any ecosystem. Therefore Matter isn’t really a topic for me as my system is yet providing interoperability.

Dayum! Feel free to post a pic of your Smart home setup so we can all marvel at it :star_struck:

1 Like

Haha, there isn’t much to see. In fact its a list of 20k datapoints whereas selected are used in Javascripts to work autonomously. I am not interested in a GUI which I have to use to turn on lights. The Home should know what I want without taking the phone to control single bulbs.
You can use https://www.iobroker.net/ or https://www.home-assistant.io/ on a simple raspi. No coding knowledge needed.

1 Like

But your setup still depends on a certain Internet connection :stuck_out_tongue:
Not sure how ‘smart’ is that.

yeah, right!

no, despite Google Home speech output, only Intranet necessary. Internet nice to have if you want to control from anywhere.

I am getting some serious Elon Musk’s Neuralink vibe from this :laughing: But seriously, imagine being able to turn on the lights and and whatnots with just your thoughts :exploding_head:

I think a “less cool” version of this (and exclude the part about “knowing what you want” which sounds like the house is sentient) is using location-based “if this … then that …” commands.

I am using a Samsung phone and they have this “Mode and Routine” thingy, which is basically a tasks automator that run a sequence of action on the phone based on what you are doing, where you are at, which devices are currently being connected to your phone, time of day, etc. and so on. Honestly, I have not even utilize it fully

So, for example, I set up a routine where immediately after leaving my house, my phone will automatically turn off Wifi and turn on Mobile data, and then turn it off again once I get to the office. And I also set it so that when I am at home or at my workplace, the phone would not be locked (not really secure, I know :grimacing:)

Great, now all I need is being able to afford a house … in this economy :laughing: :face_holding_back_tears: