Exploring Automation options for a project

Hi,

I am researching a possible Automation solution for a project. It’s not exactly Test Automation, it’s automation of tasks currently performed manually.

So here are the tasks:

1. Open IE browser, open Web Application (in house developed Customer management System, works only in IE), login
  2. Search for an Customer ID, open it
  3. Navigate through various screens and pages by clicking on tabs and links
  4. Take a screenshot of each screen and save it as an image
  5. If scroll is present, take a screenshot of each screen scrolling down until the bottom of the page is reached
  6. Exit Web App
  7. Start a new Word 2016 document
  8. Add all saved screenshot images to the document, save the Word document.
  9. Export the Word document as PDF

Currently this solution is implemented using our current test automation tool, UFT + additional VB script functions to add images to Word doc and convert Word doc to pdf. Scroll part is not implemented yet.

We need a solution that will not involve UFT (due to licence availability)

What would be our options?

Windows Scripting host?

Can something like this be implemented using Katalon Studio?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You can do all the web based stuff easily with Katalon, once you close your browser you would need something else, maybe autoit?

1 Like

Anthony said:

You can do all the web based stuff easily with Katalon, once you close your browser you would need something else, maybe autoit?

We are using vbscript functions for all non-browser operations like dealing with the file system, creating files/folders, saving images and Word API to add images to a Word doc. Vbscript code is executed from within UFT scripts. Does Katalon studio have such functionality?
I will check out autoit - sounds very promising! Thanks, Anthony!

Tatyana Kiseleva said:

Anthony said:

We are using vbscript functions for all non-browser operations like dealing with the file system, creating files/folders, saving images and Word API to add images to a Word doc. Vbscript code is executed from within UFT scripts. Does Katalon studio have such functionality?
I will check out autoit - sounds very promising! Thanks, Anthony!

The scripting mode is groovy java so you can at the very least run cmd commands to kick off your vbscript with the last test step being something like this:

"cmd /c wscript MyVbScript.vbs".execute() 

Katalon will save the images you ask it to take, where you tell it to save them:

WebUI.takeScreenshot('C:\\MyScreenshot.png')

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anthony said:

The scripting mode is groovy java so you can at the very least run cmd commands to kick off your vbscript with the last test step being something like this:

"cmd /c wscript MyVbScript.vbs".execute() 

Katalon will save the images you ask it to take, where you tell it to save them:

WebUI.takeScreenshot('C:\\MyScreenshot.png')

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

That’s helpful. Thanks! My company for the time being decided to stay with UFT, fortunately - less rework and unfortunately - I can’t wait to try Katalon studio for a real life project. Well, perhaps next time.