'Continue Recording' silently deletes *all* WebService parameters

( Repost of issue in github - "Continue Recording" a Test Case deletes Web Service parameters · Issue #159 · katalon-studio/katalon-studio · GitHub )

Operating System: (for example: Windows 10 or OSX Sierra)

Windows 10

Katalon Studio Version:

6.1.5 build 3

Katalon Studio logs:

• Windows logs folder: \config.metadata.log
    katalon.log

Environment (for Web testing):

Chrome Version 74.0.3729.169 (probably not relevant)

Environment (for Mobile testing):

Not applicable

Steps to reproduce:

• Create a new Web project
  • Create a new WebServiceRequest in the Object Repository (e.g. ‘jsonplaceholder request’)
  • Define a variable in the WSR Object and give it a default value (e.g. ‘1’).

• Create a new TestCase (e.g. ‘New Test Case’) and record some Web UI actions

• Add a ‘Web Service Keyword to the TestCase’ - a ‘Send Request’ call to the WebServiceRequest created above and set a different value for the variable

• Check that Script now includes variable for WS.sendRequest
WebUI.openBrowser('')
WebUI.navigateToUrl('https://jsonplaceholder.typicode.com/')
WebUI.verifyElementText(findTestObject('Object Repository/h2_Example'), 'Example')
WS.sendRequest(findTestObject('jsonplaceholder request', [('number') : '15']))
WebUI.closeBrowser()
  • Save all files
  • Click Record Web and select ‘Yes I do’ to continue recording.
  • Run any selected lines in the UI test to open a browser, and record a new click on an item.

• Click OK and save any new resources
  • Check Script - Variables for WS.sendRequest have been deleted.
WebUI.openBrowser('')
WebUI.navigateToUrl('https://jsonplaceholder.typicode.com/')
WebUI.verifyElementText(findTestObject('Object Repository/h2_Example'), 'Example')
WS.sendRequest(findTestObject('Object Repository/jsonplaceholder request'))
WebUI.closeBrowser()
WebUI.click(findTestObject('Object Repository/h2_Resources'))
  • Confirm that variable value has been lost in Manual tab

Expected Behavior:

Recording additional items into an existing Test Case MUST NOT corrupt any existing lines in the test case.

Actual Behavior:

Any WebServiceRequests that call WS.sendRequest, WS.sendRequestAndVerify, and possibly others, will lose any variable definitions. No error or warning is displayed, and because the variables are only displayed when you double-click on the WSR Object name, it’s an INVISIBLE DELETION - and wreaks havoc on your code.

WS.sendRequest(findTestObject('Object Repository/jsonplaceholder request', [('number') : '15']))

has become

WS.sendRequest(findTestObject('Object Repository/jsonplaceholder request'))

This happens for multiple variables - all are removed.

Screenshots / Videos: (please attach screenshots or videos if necessary to reproduce the issue)

1 Like

First off, i must say hats off to you for providing so much information, its refreshing to see a topic like this.

Now i have seen similar issues before, i myself have experienced this in different scenarios. All i can say is for the devs to take a closer look and hopefully provide a fix in the upcoming releases.

@devalex88 @duyluong

Hi @craig.fisher

Appreciate your efforts in this report, our team is made aware and will look into this issue.

Thank you !

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.