Hi, is it possible to change the existing project name? or the only way is to to create another new project?
In projects/settings -> project information/Name, you may change your projects name.
It is not enough, unfortunately.
Let me suppose, I have a Katalon project named
Then in the project directory you will have a file named
$ ls -la | grep prj -rw-r--r-- 1 kazurayam staff 903 3 17 12:17 ProjectABC.prj
Ant the file has a content like this:
$ cat ProjectABC.prj <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <Project> <description></description> <name>ProjectABC</name> ...
Now, I do in the GUI menu bar
Project/settings -> project information/Name to rename the project to
Please find that
- I assigned a new project name
- I left the folder location of the project unchanged. In fact, you can not set the cursor into the field. You can not change it by GUI operation;
Then how the
*.prj file will look like? Let me check.
$ ls -la | grep prj -rw-r--r-- 1 kazurayam staff 1015 3 17 12:30 ProjectABC.prj
The .prj file name stays unchanged. How the contents of the .prj file will look like?
$ cat ProjectABC.prj <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <Project> <description></description> <name>ProjectXYZ</name> ...
<name> has been changed from
projects/settings -> project information/Name, you will get
- The project directory name is unchanged. Stays as
- The .prj file name is unchanged. Stays as
- In the
<projectDir>/.project, the name
ProjectABCis there and will be unchanged.
- The content of
ProjectABC.prjwill be changed to have
So, if you want to complete changing the project name, you need to
- do GUI operation “projects/settings → project information/Name,”
- change the .prj file name yourself manually:
<projectDir>/.projectfile, which will be auto-genarated later when you open the project
- change the directory name yourself manually:
If you use GitHub/BitBucket/GitLab for source code versioning, then you will have more to do to rename the Git repository.
Do you find it complicated? Yes, it is, I am afraid. I find KS is poorly implemented in this fundamental functionality: changing the project name.