Appium 1.9.0

I haven’t seen anything in the release notes for 5.10.0 or 5.10.1 that indicate any support higher than Appium 1.8.1 yet.

EDIT: Appium 1.8.2-beta is supported in Katalon Studio 5.10.1 and will work for testing with Xcode 10 and iOS 12.

What about Android 8 ? Seems that we can only test using Android 7 but must of smartphones today use 8. an y schedule date for Android updates?

1 Like

Support for newer Appium versions (e.g. 1.9, 1.10) would be very useful

1 Like

Hi @alxborbon,

I’m able to run tests using Katalon Studio 5.10.1 on an Android 8.1 (API 27) emulator. Are you having problems with this?

– Chris

Thank you.

But it is not working. Exception unsupport ios 12. Then I try copy add sdk ios 12 from xcode10 to xcode9 but does not work. Please help me.

Hi @duyphan.uet,

In your Xcode project, what is the “Deployment Target” set to? It will need to be iOS 11.4 or earlier if you want to be able to test in Katalon Studio.

– Chris

HI Chris,

I have downgraded the Appium version to 1.8.1 and now I am getting “Unable to capture object because of Webdriver exception” error.

An unknown server-side error occurred while processing the command. Original error: io.appium.uiautomator2.common.exceptions.TakeScreenshotException: Failed to capture a screenshot. Does the current view have ‘secure’ flag set?

at io.appium.uiautomator2.utils.ScreenshotHelper.takeDeviceScreenshot(ScreenshotHelper.java:70)

at io.appium.uiautomator2.utils.ScreenshotHelper.takeScreenshot(ScreenshotHelper.java:48)

at io.appium.uiautomator2.utils.ScreenshotHelper.takeScreenshot(ScreenshotHelper.java:63)

at io.appium.uiautomator2.handler.CaptureScreenshot.safeHandle(CaptureScreenshot.java:19)

at io.appium.uiautomator2.handler.request.SafeRequestHandler.handle(SafeRequestHandler.java:65)

at io.appium.uiautomator2.server.AppiumServlet.handleRequest(AppiumServlet.java:247)

at io.appium.uiautomator2.server.AppiumServlet.handleHttpRequest(AppiumServlet.java:238)

at io.appium.uiautomator2.http.ServerHandler.channelRead(ServerHandler.java:44)

at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:366)

at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:352)

at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:345)

at io.netty.handler.codec.MessageToMessageDecoder.channelRead(MessageToMessageDecoder.java:102)

at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:366)

at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:352)

at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:345)

at io.netty.channel.CombinedChannelDuplexHandler$DelegatingChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(CombinedChannelDuplexHandler.java:435)

at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.fireChannelRead(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:293)

at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.channelRead(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:267)

at io.netty.channel.CombinedChannelDuplexHandler.channelRead(CombinedChannelDuplexHandler.java:250)

at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline$HeadContext.channelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:1294)

at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.fireChannelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:911)

at io.netty.channel.nio.AbstractNioByteChannel$NioByteUnsafe.read(AbstractNioByteChannel.java:131)

at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKey(NioEventLoop.java:611)

at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeysOptimized(NioEventLoop.java:552)

at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeys(NioEventLoop.java:466)

at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.run(NioEventLoop.java:438)

at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$2.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:140)

at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultThreadFactory$DefaultRunnableDecorator.run(DefaultThreadFactory.java:144)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:764)

(WARNING: The server did not provide any stacktrace information)

Command duration or timeout: 0 milliseconds

Build info: version: ‘unknown’, revision: ‘unknown’, time: ‘unknown’

System info: host: ‘HYRDMACPRO143’, ip: ‘fe80:0:0:0:1c64:1463:fa2c:9ba6%en0’, os.name: ‘Mac OS X’, os.arch: ‘x86_64’, os.version: ‘10.12.6’, java.version: ‘1.8.0_181’

Driver info: com.kms.katalon.core.appium.driver.SwipeableAndroidDriver

Capabilities {TAKES_SCREENSHOT: false, app: /Users/nagisetr/Desktop/WFN…, appPackage: com.adp.wfnotg.iat, autoGrantPermissions: true, automationName: uiautomator2, databaseEnabled: false, desired: {TAKES_SCREENSHOT: false, app: /Users/nagisetr/Desktop/WFN…, autoGrantPermissions: true, automationName: uiautomator2, deviceId: ce0117110c25701a02, deviceName: samsung SM-G935F (Android 8…, fullReset: false, newCommandTimeout: 1800, noReset: true, platform: ANDROID, platformName: Android, udid: ce0117110c25701a02, uiautomator2ServerLaunchTimeout: 60000}, deviceApiLevel: 26, deviceId: ce0117110c25701a02, deviceManufacturer: samsung, deviceModel: SM-G935F, deviceName: ce0117110c25701a02, deviceScreenDensity: 640, deviceScreenSize: 1440x2560, deviceUDID: ce0117110c25701a02, fullReset: false, javascriptEnabled: true, locationContextEnabled: false, networkConnectionEnabled: true, newCommandTimeout: 1800, noReset: true, pixelRatio: 3, platform: ANDROID, platformName: ANDROID, platformVersion: 8.0.0, statBarHeight: 72, takesScreenshot: true, udid: ce0117110c25701a02, uiautomator2ServerLaunchTimeout: 60000, viewportRect: {height: 1848, left: 0, top: 72, width: 1080}, warnings: {}, webStorageEnabled: false}

Session ID: 9168e3fe-7146-41f1-92ea-7275ba0373ac

Can you please help me resolving this issue?

Thank you.
Regards,
Chandan

Hi @chandan.dungarwal2,

The message that is important is:

io.appium.uiautomator2.common.exceptions.TakeScreenshotException: Failed to capture a screenshot. Does the current view have ‘secure’ flag set?

Some Android screens can be set to “secure” so that they can’t have screenshots taken. This is usually done for login screens, credit card screens, or other screens where sensitive information will be entered.

If you’re using Katalon Studio’s Spy Mobile feature and you encounter this error, you can still inspect and capture test objects, you just can’t get a preview of the screen.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Thanks Chris!

Hi @duyphan.uet,

Following up, and it turns out that Xcode 10 and iOS 12 are indeed supported by Katalon Studio 5.10.1 if you use Appium 1.8.2-beta.

– Chris

Any news on official support? Newer versions seem to run fine if you upgrade the “java-client”-library to version 7.0.0
Official support would obviously be better

Hi Chris,

Is it possible to integrate Katalon with external clouds such as perfecto?

Thank you.

Regards,
Chandan

I don’t know much about the cloud execution, but it looks like it’s possible:

Hi @qsbetatest, I’ve logged a feature request for Appium 1.9.0+ support here.

There’s been some dev responses, but no word on when it might arrive unfortunately!

1 Like

Push
Would be nice if a dev could give a more detailed answer to this… @devalex88 @Zarashima

It has been already 6-7 Months since Appium 1.9 release.

And there is a Premium Support Issue here:

1 Like

You can refer to this link from katalon docs https://docs.katalon.com/katalon-studio/docs/mobile-on-macos.html#installing-dependencies

Took me a while as well, but I finally found the right version for Katalon 6.x.x, you need appium@1.8.2-beta, I’m running on iOS 11.x and 12.x physical devices with no problem

You can refer to this link from katalon docs https://docs.katalon.com/katalon-studio/docs/mobile-on-macos.html#installing-dependencies

Took me a while as well, but I finally found the right version for Katalon 6.x.x, you need appium@1.8.2-beta, I’m running on iOS 11.x and 12.x physical devices with no problem