Override profiles in Test Suite Collection in CLI mode

Can you just pass in a profile’s name directly instead of using variable like that? Example -executionProfile=“staging”

Vinh Nguyen said:

Can you just pass in a profile’s name directly instead of using variable like that? Example -executionProfile=“staging”

I have tried this actually also with no luck. Is this featured designed only for Test Suites or should this also work with Test Suite Collections?

1 Like

Micaela,

In the Test Suite Collection pane, each individual Test Sites are assigned with Execution Profiles. I am afraid you are not aware of this.

Your command line has -executionProfile switch:

katalon -runMode=console -executionProfile=%profile% ... -testSuiteCollectionPath="..."

I suppose that the -executionProfile switch is just ignored if -testSuiteCollectionPath is specified. Effectively your command line is the same as this:

katalon -runMode=console ... -testSuiteCollectionPath="..."

Then Katalon Studio would happily find the name of Exception Profile to apply to each Test Suites as defined in the above screenshot.

TestSuiteCollection_assigning_different_profiles_to_testsuites.png

kazurayam said:

Micaela,

In the Test Suite Collection pane, each individual Test Sites are assigned with Execution Profiles. I am afraid you are not aware of this.

katalon -runMode=console -executionProfile=%profile% ... -testSuiteCollectionPath="..."

I suppose that the -executionProfile switch is just ignored if -testSuiteCollectionPath is specified. Effectively your command line is the same as this:

Then Katalon Studio would happily find the name of Exception Profile to apply to each Test Suites as defined in the above screenshot.

Hi Kazurayam - thank you for the suggestion! Actually I am aware of the profiles set here, however I was under the impression that these profiles were overriden when another profile was passed in by command line. The reason we want to use this feature is to run the *same* test suite collection with different profiles at run time, so setting the profile ahead of time like this would unfortunately defeat the purpose. If your explanation is correct though, is there a way to completely unset the Profile in the test suite so that when the test suite ran it would be forced to use the profile from the command line? I’ve been looking for a way but have not found it. Thanks,

Micaela

2 Likes

If your explanation is correct though, is there a way to completely unset the Profile in the test suite so that when the test suite ran it would be forced to use the profile from the command line?

Katalon team,

It’s your turn. Please explain what is correct.

3 Likes

however I was under the impression that these profiles were overriden when another profile was passed in by command line

I agree. It is better.

1 Like

kazurayam said:

Micaela,

That’s in the case of test suites. In my case Im having test case creation in progress and in order to check them with local and server data I use profiles, so the profile is chosen manually on runtime.

“executionProfile=“staging”” This one does not work, same error msg.

It looks like it does not recompile bin folder and GlobalVariable.class and keeps previous versions (\bin\lib\internal\GlobalVariable.class), thats why it keeps default profiles values. Simple fix is to delete bin folder. It works for me now.

For us this issue occurred when the project was created with one version of Katalon Studio and tried to be executed with different version. Issue was resolved once we tried to execute with same version.

We’re using 5.7.0 and seeing the -executionProfile parameter being ignored in favor of the per-test-suite profile configured in the test suite collection for each test suite.

The -executionProfile parameter correctly changes the profile for individual test suites, but not for the test suite collection.

Does anyone know if this is by design and if there is a workaround or coming fix?

Workaround:
When running test suite collections, I manually change the profile for the suites.

kazurayam said:

however I was under the impression that these profiles were overriden when another profile was passed in by command line

I agree. It is better.

I agree 100%.

When running in Katalon Studio, the framework should listen to the IDE.

When running from the command line, the framework should listen to the command line.

The clue is in the name - it’s a COMMAND.

2 Likes

Mate Mrse said:

Workaround:
When running test suite collections, I manually change the profile for the suites.

That’s a great idea…if we weren’t looking to use these in a semi-automated environment. Stopping to edit the test suite collections, or have different test suite collections per environment, isn’t feasible.

As already mentioned, the -executionProfile parametter it is considered only when using a TestSuite execution.

So one option will be to run a test suite instead of a collection.

If really a TestCollection is needed to be executed, with custom profile, a different approach can be made (I am using a similar technique for running some test cases with a custom generated data set).

The collection in fact it is simply an xml file (check the .ts in the TestSuites folder).

So, you can use any text parsing method to replace the default with anything you like (for this purpose, on a linux Jenkins executor, i simply use some *sed* commands in an shell step, before to actually start the test execution).

Otherwise, you can simply make as many TestCollections as needed, with already set profiles

2 Likes

Hello,

I recently ran into the same issue when attempting to assign a specific profile to a Test Collection in version 6.3.3. This is the same error condition that was mentioned in 5.4. Has there been any updates on how we can set the execution policy for Test Collections?

2 Likes

Hello,

Is this planned to get fixed in Kataon 7.0 ? , we would like to override executionProfile when running the test suite collection from CMD

Thanks,

1 Like

HI, any update about this override profiles in a TSCollection in Client mode? I have to execute same collection for 3 diff environments. Its not worth it editing manually . I wanna write my JBuild with the specific environment I want. Thanks.

How to provide values to variables in Katalon Test Case scripts at runtime? — it is a recurring problem.

Katalon Team proposed and implemented a way to override GlobalVariables by specifying which Execution Profile to use for a Test Suites run. Howerver, as @pgonzalez and others pointed out, you can not override Exeution Profile for a TestSuiteCollection.

I would propose that another method is possible. If you are willing to develop fair amount of Groovy code yourself, you can give values from some *.properties file to test case variables. Just to let you think of alternatives, see the following old post of mine at 2018:

Hello everyone

From Katalon Studio 7.6, you can override Browser Type and Execution Profile of all Test Suites in a Test Suite Collection via command line. Learn more

Please refer to release notes for more details regarding our latest release.

Happy Testing

Jass