Custom keywords description displayed within test case (like for built in keywords)

Hi,

Is it currently possible to add description for custom keywords that when custom keyword is selected for a test we could get description of that custom keyword and not just keyword signature?

For example if I select Web.Click keyword (built in keyword) and I roll over I could see full description of the call

While for custom keywords I just see this (script and manual view)

We do add comments section above custom keyword implementation (like this) but this does not solve our issue.
/***
* Description of this custom keyword comes here but we don’t see it
* @param ro
* @param parmsMap
* @return
*/
@Keyword
def updateServiceCallUrl(RequestObject ro, def parmsMap) {

}

We want to add descriptions for our custom keywords so people who didn’t develop these keywords would know how to use them and what they are used for. (like it is done for built in keywords)

Can we do this now?

Thanks,
Rasko

katalon_CustomKeywordsDescription_BuiltInKeyword.jpg

katalon_CustomKeywordsDescription_CustomKeywordScriptlView.jpg

katalon_CustomKeywordsDescription_CustomKeywordManualView.jpg

5 Likes

This would be very useful.

Thanks,
Don

Rasko Pjesivac said:

Hi,

Is it currently possible to add description for custom keywords that when custom keyword is selected for a test we could get description of that custom keyword and not just keyword signature?

For example if I select Web.Click keyword (built in keyword) and I roll over I could see full description of the call

While for custom keywords I just see this (script and manual view)

We do add comments section above custom keyword implementation (like this) but this does not solve our issue.

/***

* Description of this custom keyword comes here but we don’t see it

* @param ro

* @param parmsMap

* @return

*/

@Keyword

def updateServiceCallUrl(RequestObject ro, def parmsMap) {

}

We want to add descriptions for our custom keywords so people who didn’t develop these keywords would know how to use them and what they are used for. (like it is done for built in keywords)

Can we do this now?

Thanks,

Rasko

Don Welsh said:

This would be very useful.

Thanks,

Don

Hi Rasko and Don,

Thanks for the suggestion. Katalon team does have this feature planned in the roadmap and is currently working on it. Stay tuned!

Please feel free to add any other suggestions. Katalon team very much appreciate the time and effort in providing valuable feedback to make the app better.

Best,
Liam

1 Like

Hi Liam, Any update on this feature? Our code is growing and for engineers that didn’t implement specific keyword it is getting harder to understand what/how specific keyword works. (they need to look into implementation vs. reading the description)

Hi Rasko et al

As a workaround, if you switch to Script view, you do see the documentation show up.

Russ Thomas said:

Hi Rasko et al

As a workaround, if you switch to Script view, you do see the documentation show up.

Hi Russ,
In the script view you see only keyword signature and not description of the keyword (look the initial post and the screenshots)
Thanks,
Rasko

Rasko, Sorry, my bad. What I actually do is call them as methods – I forgot to mention that.

import static com.mypackage.mykeywordclass.* // to get the mymethod keyword

mymethod()

In Manual view you see

|Method Call Statement| … | mymethod() | … | …|

Here’s an example for my startBrowser keyword/method:

HTH!

Russ

Katalon Studio - WinLIMS Prototype Testing - [Location_ C__Users_Russ_Katalon Studio_WinLIMS proto test suite 1] 2018-03-13 12.35.40.jpg

Russ Thomas said:

Rasko, Sorry, my bad. What I actually do is call them as methods – I forgot to mention that.

import static com.mypackage.mykeywordclass.* // to get the mymethod keyword

mymethod()

In Manual view you see

|Method Call Statement| … | mymethod() | … | …|

Here’s an example for my startBrowser keyword/method:

HTH!

Russ

Cool that does work. Thanks for that.

However, this feature still should support custom keywords as well… so we can fallow “the best” practices within Katalon Studio. otherwise if we start writing methods instead of keywords (like above) non developers will have equally hard time to find these methods and write tests like when we used java/selenium without Katalon Studio.

Best regards,
Rasko

2 Likes

+1 for this.

Any updates on this feature? I would also like the implementation of this feature. Best Regards

2 Likes

do we have an update for this feature. this feature is very helpful

Hello everyone,

Katalon Studio 7.6 supports displaying descriptions of Custom Keywords in test cases (same as built-in keywords), organizing Custom Keywords in an alphabetical order in Keyword Browser and categorizing them with keywordObject as well. Please refer to release notes for more details.

Happy Testing

Jass