Parallel Testing across browsers

Can you please let me know how to run my test suite parallely across 2 different browsers simultaneously.

Thanks

Why not you use Console Mode Execution
https://docs.katalon.com/display/KD/Console+Mode+Execution

Specify -browserType=Chome for one command, -browserType=Firefox for another command;

Execute each command parallelly using shell capability: https://www.codeword.xyz/2015/09/02/three-ways-to-script-processes-in-parallel/

1 Like

from katalon:
define Test suite collection

image.png

1 Like

Hi BiswaranjanSahoo

This might help you;

1. You will need to create a test suite collection and then add your test suites.
2. Select an execution mode you prefer whether if it’s sequential or parallel.
2.1 Sequential is to run the suites one by one.
2.3 Parallel is to run the suite simultaneously.
3. And then in the ‘run with’ column select the browser you want to use when running your test
suite.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Andrej Podhajský said:

from katalon:

In the example you’ve provided, are we assuming that these tests will run on one machine? Won’t there be a resource problem if they try to execute these tests in parallel? What I expected to see on a test suite collection configured this way was each browser starting and then executing the tests at the exact same time. What I actually saw was each browser starting and then executing their portion of the test suite before releasing the resources and starting the tests on the next browser in the collection.

Against one machine, isn’t this actually sequential? Or are there alternatives to running these tests on different machines (or virtual machines) to ensure we actually get parallel execution?

i used selenium grid with nodes configured for separate browsers.
i have no experience to run such setup on workstation.
in my example i set same test suite for all threads… obviously, you need to have tests written in way that they can be executed in parallel (same user on 3 browsers) without influencing each other

Andrej Podhajský said:

from katalon:

But I dont see the option for Parallel execution like you do here.

Arnel said:

Hi BiswaranjanSahoo

This might help you;

1. You will need to create a test suite collection and then add your test suites.
2. Select an execution mode you prefer whether if it’s sequential or parallel.
2.1 Sequential is to run the suites one by one.
2.3 Parallel is to run the suite simultaneously.
3. And then in the ‘run with’ column select the browser you want to use when running your test
suite.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot. But i dont see the option for parallel execution. Thats the reason i need help here

This is what i see in my Test Suite window. No option for parallel execution.

Execution.JPG

kazurayam said:

Why not you use Console Mode Execution
https://docs.katalon.com/display/KD/Console+Mode+Execution

Specify -browserType=Chome for one command, -browserType=Firefox for another command;

Execute each command parallelly using shell capability: https://www.codeword.xyz/2015/09/02/three-ways-to-script-processes-in-parallel/

Thanks a lot. I would certainly try that from my end and let you know.

BiswaranjanSahoo said:

This is what i see in my Test Suite window. No option for parallel execution.

You need to create TEST SUITE COLLECTION … it’s agregator for test suites…

2018-07-30_13-13-42.png

You need to create a test suite collection and put your test suite in there. The execution information where parallel or sequential options will now be visible on that.

Arnel said:

You need to create a test suite collection and put your test suite in there. The execution information where parallel or sequential options will now be visible on that.

Thanks a lot. I would like to know how can i run the same script across 2 different browsers here.

Hi,

There’s a “Run with” in the test suite collection. Under that, you can double-click a row and choose your preferred browser. You can also add the same script/suite and set a different run browser. Refer to the image.

testsuitecollection.jpg

1 Like

Hi Guys,
I am also facing same problem while doing parallel execution, not getting the option to select the browser in test suite collection .It will be great if any one can help on this.