Damian Baherycz
Katalon Apprentice
06/20/2018

declareted variables as a target

I am using Katalon Recorder with Chrome 67 to automate website testing.

In user-extension.js we declare a few variables:

storedVars["neo_ls"]         = "system";

storedVars["neo_user_pass"]  = "pass123";

storedVars["date1_selection"] = "ctl00_ctl00_ContentBodyBase_ContentBody_TabContainerCalendars";

now in test case I type first two values into input fields and try to click using 3rd variable as a click target:

Typing values – works OK.

But for ‘click’ I get a series of 100(?) ‘expand variable … into … ’ messages in execution log and then failure to find the element:

What is the correct method of specifying click target using a variable?

(If I substitute variable ${date_selection} with literal string, target name, click is executed correctly)

1.png 4.5K
2.png 2.2K
3.png 21.5K
Upvote

Comments

• Brendan Sherlock
    Katalon Apprentice
    09/26/2018
    I can't answer your question but concur with your findings. 
    It appears that accessor commands support variables but locator commands do not.
    e.g
    Command ¦ Target 
    Click ¦ id=$(myVar1) 

is not functioning. 
    I have also tried enclosing the variable in quotation marks (without any hopeful expectation of it working) and it failed.

I think there would be many use cases for requiring variable driven targets.  e.g. creation of new elements which subsequently need to be clicked.  the only way to target them is by an attribute/locator  ID, Name, Xpath.  When the ID is created from a variable, the click function needs to accept the variable.  

Upvote
  • Brendan Sherlock
    Katalon Apprentice
    10/12/2018
    This is now working for me.  for the locator, i store it's HTML id addtribute value in the comma seperated csv file. Add the csv file to katalon recorder (readd it for any changes made to the csv file).  In my csv file I have for example: 
    LoginSurname, Login Forename
    Watson, John

in Recorder, 
    Command    Target                                   Value
    loadvars       nameOYourAddedCSVfile
    Click             id=${LoginSurname}

the first step will load your variables into Recorder script runtime memory 
    the second step will perform a click command on the element with an id of LoginSurname
    be careful with Synthax, the above is correct afaik.  best regards, Brendan
    Upvote