Unable to create project

After installation and walking through the quick start the program offered to create a project. I filled in the fields and hit OK, and got the error “Unable to create project” with no obvious error logs.

I tried again with the File | New | Project, but got the same error message.

See the end for a partial theory of what the underlying problem is.

## **OS Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

java 8 update 171 (could that be the problem?)

Symantec Endpoint Protection 14.0 MP2

## Katalon Studio Version 5.4.2

## Katalon Studio logs:

!SESSION 2018-06-19 13:24:53.064 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.8.0_102
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=en_US
Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64 -data config

!ENTRY org.eclipse.update.configurator 4 0 2018-06-19 13:24:54.468
!MESSAGE Could not install bundle plugins/atu.testrecorder.screen-recorder_2.1.0.jar A bundle is already installed with the name “atu.testrecorder.screen-recorder” and version “2.1.0”

[… many more like that. deleted to keep within character limit]

!ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 4 0 2018-06-19 13:33:35.883
!MESSAGE
!STACK 0
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files (x86)\Katalon_Studio_Windows_64-5.4.2\plugins\org.codehaus.groovy_2.4.7.xx-201611170128-e46\lib\org.apache.xerces.impl_2.11.0.jar (Access is denied)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.open0(Native Method)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(FileOutputStream.java:270)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.(FileOutputStream.java:213)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.(FileOutputStream.java:162)
at org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.doCopyFile(FileUtils.java:1139)
at org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.copyFile(FileUtils.java:1091)
at org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.copyFile(FileUtils.java:1038)
at com.kms.katalon.groovy.util.GroovyUtil.initGroovyProjectClassPath(GroovyUtil.java:293)
at com.kms.katalon.groovy.util.GroovyUtil.initGroovyProject(GroovyUtil.java:151)
at com.kms.katalon.dal.fileservice.manager.ProjectFileServiceManager.addNewProject(ProjectFileServiceManager.java:42)
at com.kms.katalon.dal.fileservice.dataprovider.ProjectFileServiceDataProvider.addNewProject(ProjectFileServiceDataProvider.java:18)
at com.kms.katalon.controller.ProjectController.addNewProject(ProjectController.java:49)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.project.handlers.NewProjectHandler.createNewProject(NewProjectHandler.java:62)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.project.handlers.NewProjectHandler.execute(NewProjectHandler.java:41)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.MethodRequestor.execute(MethodRequestor.java:55)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.invokeUsingClass(InjectorImpl.java:282)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.invoke(InjectorImpl.java:264)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.contexts.ContextInjectionFactory.invoke(ContextInjectionFactory.java:132)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.commands.internal.HandlerServiceHandler.execute(HandlerServiceHandler.java:152)
at org.eclipse.core.commands.Command.executeWithChecks(Command.java:494)
at org.eclipse.core.commands.ParameterizedCommand.executeWithChecks(ParameterizedCommand.java:488)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.commands.internal.HandlerServiceImpl.executeHandler(HandlerServiceImpl.java:210)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.renderers.swt.HandledContributionItem.executeItem(HandledContributionItem.java:433)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.renderers.swt.AbstractContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(AbstractContributionItem.java:454)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.renderers.swt.AbstractContributionItem$3.handleEvent(AbstractContributionItem.java:482)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:4418)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1079)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4236)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3824)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$4.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1121)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:336)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1022)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:150)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:693)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:336)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:610)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:148)
at com.kms.katalon.core.application.Application.internalRunGUI(Application.java:115)
at com.kms.katalon.core.application.Application.runGUI(Application.java:100)
at com.kms.katalon.core.application.Application.start(Application.java:60)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:388)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:243)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:673)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:610)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1519)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.resources 2 10035 2018-06-19 13:44:06.115
!MESSAGE The workspace will exit with unsaved changes in this session.

* Xcode version (for iOS) ( Xcode 8? Xcode 11? )

* Appium Logs( \.appium )

* Application file (.apk/ .ipa) (if possible please provide your application under test file)

## Steps to reproduce -

Unzipped the downloaded file to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Katalon_Studio_Windows_64-5.4.2,

elevating to admin rights.

Pinned the exe to the start menu.

Initial attempt to run failed because permission problems.

Change the shortcut to set the working directory the Katalon folder of my Documents folder.

Clicked on the link. The studio launched; I registered and went through the quick introduction screens.

The program offered to start a project. I filled in a project name, left the working directory unchanged at Documents\Katalon\, entered a comment and hit OK.

The response is the error “Unable to create project”.

Thinking it might be that I needed to use a different folder, I went to

File | New Project and changed the folder. When I left the project unchanged it said the project already existed (!) and so I used a different name. Got “unable to create project” again.

## Expected Behavior -

Project created.

Failing that, the program shouldn’t later tell me that the project exists.

Also, more of a clue about why it’s failing.

## Actual Behavior -

“Unable to create Project”

## Comments

During installation there were a lot messages like

!ENTRY org.eclipse.update.configurator 4 0 2018-06-19 13:24:54.811

!MESSAGE Could not install bundle plugins/org.apache.xerces.impl_2.11.0.jar A bundle is already installed with the name “org.apache.xerces.impl” and version “2.11.0”

I figured it was already installed elsewhere on the system. But, as the log above shows, the final error message (which I think may be the only associated with the request to create the project) is

!ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 4 0 2018-06-19 13:33:35.883
!MESSAGE
!STACK 0
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files (x86)\Katalon_Studio_Windows_64-5.4.2\plugins\org.codehaus.groovy_2.4.7.xx-201611170128-e46\lib\org.apache.xerces.impl_2.11.0.jar (Access is denied)

There is no such file at that location. However, it is at

C:\Program Files (x86)\Katalon_Studio_Windows_64-5.4.2\plugins

and the system also has

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder 4.5\eclipse\plugins\org.apache.xerces_2.9.0.v201005080400.jar

which is not the same version, but perhaps close enough to cause problems?

I don’t know if the problem is that the program is looking for the file in the wrong place or that the file wasn’t installed where expected. Nor do I know all the can’t install bundle messages indicate a real problem.

This is the root cause:

Somehow Katalon Studio can’t access libraries due to improper access permissions. Can you try to move Katalon Studio build into another folder ?

The error looks like a permission problem, but it’s not. The file is just not there.

And I checked the downloaded zip file to confirm the file wasn’t there either. That is, the file is present, but not in the directory being searched.

I deleted my old installation, which required admin rights. Then I unzipped the download (still v5.4.2 for a controlled experiment) to a subfolder of my Documents folder. This did not require any elevated permissions.

I started katalon.exe and was not prompted for activation (!? maybe info in registry?). File | new | project just worked. It may also be relevant that the project was within the same directory tree that had the installation.

So I think my problem is solved, though the previous failure remains mysterious.

I’ll install the current version before proceeding.

Yes me too I’ve experienced installing the app and was not prompted for activation,I’m not sure why, but I’ve disregard it since I can create test scripts and connect with GIT. Just then I’ve read your post, it seems like I’m not the only one who’s having the same problem.