Documentation improvement: the "Internet Explorer Configuration" page is ambiguous

In the documentation page [Internet Explorer Configurations](https://docs.katalon.com/display/KD/Internet+Explorer+Configurations), the page sais:

For IE 7 or higher, set the Security level for all zones to the same value.

What does the word “Security level” here mean?

I found “Security level” in the IE’s Internet Properties > Security dialog so I tried to

1. set Medium-high level for Internet zone — I could
  2. set Medium-high level for Local intranet zone — I cloud
  3. set Medium-high level for Trusted sites zone — I clould
  4. set Medium-high level for Restredted sites — I cloud not. only High level is accepted.

When I tried to set High level for all the 4 zones, then my Web app failed to work on IE because all JavaScript are dispabled due to “High” level security setting.

I was confused. I could not find what to do for months. Finally I found that the toggle button labeled with “Enable Protected Mode” is the one I needed to look at.

I think that the document should have said:

For IE 7 or higher, set the toggle button of Enable Protected Mode for all zones to the same value.

image2016-10-24 15_53_44.png

2 Likes

Hi @4280-kazurayam,

Thank you for your feedback. The page has been adjusted for clearer instruction.

Please feel free to let us know if you have any other suggestions or concerns. We appreciate your time and support.

Regards,
Liam

• Set the Security level for all zones to the same value. It is fine if the value is on or off as long as it is the same for Internet, Local Intranet, Trusted sites and Restricted sites.

No, I think this explanation is wrong.

I think “setting the Security level to the same value” is NOT necessary. As a matter of fact I am using IE with Security level:

1. set Medium-high level for Internet zone
  2. set Medium-low level for Local intranet zone
  3. set Medium level for Trusted sites zone
  4. set High level for Restricted sites

As you can see I set the Security level of these zones different, but Katalon Studio can communicate with my IE.

1 Like

kazurayam said:

• Set the Security level for all zones to the same value. It is fine if the value is on or off as long as it is the same for Internet, Local Intranet, Trusted sites and Restricted sites.

No, I think this explanation is wrong.

I think “setting the Security level to the same value” is NOT necessary. As a matter of fact I am using IE with Security level:

1. set Medium-high level for Internet zone
  2. set Medium-low level for Local intranet zone
  3. set Medium level for Trusted sites zone
  4. set High level for Restricted sites

As you can see I set the Security level of these zones different, but Katalon Studio can communicate with my IE.

Hi Kazurayam,
I have verified with the team again on this issue. You are correct, users don’t have to set the same Security Level but the Protected Mode must be the same.

Thanks again for the correction,
Liam