Difficulty running Katalon in Ubuntu

I’ve been working with Katalon for a little while, mostly on Windows, learning the software and developing tests. I’ve recently been moving towards setting up some of these tests on a linux machine, currently running Ubuntu, but I’ve been having trouble getting the program to launch correctly.

currently, the error I’m getting is:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.resources 2 10035 2018-02-23 13:28:01.040

!MESSAGE The workspace exited with unsaved changes in the previous session; refreshing workspace to recover changes.

Starting Groovy-Eclipse compiler resolver. Specified compiler level: unspecified

131 2.4.7.xx-201611170128-e46 = ACTIVE

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.kms.katalon.execution.launcher.process.LaunchProcessor.getInstalledJRE(LaunchProcessor.java:52)

at com.kms.katalon.execution.launcher.process.LaunchProcessor.execute(LaunchProcessor.java:43)

at com.kms.katalon.execution.launcher.ConsoleLauncher.executeProcess(ConsoleLauncher.java:42)

at com.kms.katalon.execution.launcher.ConsoleLauncher.launch(ConsoleLauncher.java:30)

at com.kms.katalon.execution.launcher.ProcessLauncher.start(ProcessLauncher.java:91)

at com.kms.katalon.execution.launcher.manager.LauncherManager.schedule(LauncherManager.java:189)

at com.kms.katalon.execution.launcher.manager.LauncherManager.addLauncher(LauncherManager.java:45)

at com.kms.katalon.execution.console.ConsoleExecutor.execute(ConsoleExecutor.java:67)

at com.kms.katalon.execution.console.ConsoleMain.launch(ConsoleMain.java:81)

at com.kms.katalon.console.application.Application.runConsole(Application.java:62)

at com.kms.katalon.core.application.Application.runConsole(Application.java:72)

at com.kms.katalon.core.application.Application.start(Application.java:56)

at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:388)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:243)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(java.base@9-internal/Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(java.base@9-internal/NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(java.base@9-internal/DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(java.base@9-internal/Method.java:531)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:673)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:610)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1519)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1492)

I’m not sure what might be causing this, and it’s a bit of a roadblock for the moment. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

How do you execute this console mode execution from your side? Can you provide more details about it?

I currently use the command line arguments built in the windows IDE, with the path of the project changed to reflect the different filesystem. The project is kept in a git repository, so all changes are carried over regardless of which OS I’m on. (or should be)

The command I’m currently using is:

./katalon -noSplash -runMode=console -consoleLog -noExit -projectPath="/home//projects/Katalon/Katalon_Studio/projects//.prj" -retry=0 -testSuitePath=“Test Suites//LJOBTG” -browserType=“Chrome”

I’ve retried using a much simpler test (opening a browser, waiting one second, navigating to google), and I got the same issues.

when running that the first time, I got a different error, as follows:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.resources 2 10035 2018-02-26 09:19:00.363

!MESSAGE The workspace exited with unsaved changes in the previous session; refreshing workspace to recover changes.

Starting Groovy-Eclipse compiler resolver. Specified compiler level: unspecified

131 2.4.7.xx-201611170128-e46 = ACTIVE

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.kms.katalon.custom.generation.GlobalVariableTemplate.generateGlobalVariableFile(GlobalVariableTemplate.groovy:71)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(java.base@9-internal/Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(java.base@9-internal/NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(java.base@9-internal/DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at org.codehaus.groovy.reflection.CachedMethod.invoke(CachedMethod.java:93)

at groovy.lang.MetaMethod.doMethodInvoke(MetaMethod.java:325)

at groovy.lang.MetaClassImpl.invokeMethod(MetaClassImpl.java:1215)

at groovy.lang.MetaClassImpl.invokeMethod(MetaClassImpl.java:1024)

at groovy.lang.MetaClassImpl.invokeMethod(MetaClassImpl.java:812)

at com.kms.katalon.custom.generation.GlobalVariableTemplate.invokeMethod(GlobalVariableTemplate.groovy)

at com.kms.katalon.custom.parser.GlobalVariableParser.generateGlobalVariableFile(GlobalVariableParser.java:54)

at com.kms.katalon.custom.parser.GlobalVariableParser.generateGlobalVariableLibFile(GlobalVariableParser.java:42)

at com.kms.katalon.controller.GlobalVariableController.generateGlobalVariableLibFile(GlobalVariableController.java:54)

at com.kms.katalon.controller.ProjectController.openProject(ProjectController.java:96)

at com.kms.katalon.execution.console.ConsoleMain.getProject(ConsoleMain.java:226)

at com.kms.katalon.execution.console.ConsoleMain.findProject(ConsoleMain.java:132)

at com.kms.katalon.execution.console.ConsoleMain.launch(ConsoleMain.java:79)

at com.kms.katalon.console.application.Application.runConsole(Application.java:62)

at com.kms.katalon.core.application.Application.runConsole(Application.java:72)

at com.kms.katalon.core.application.Application.start(Application.java:56)

at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:388)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:243)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:673)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:610)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1519)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1492)

But I think that’s just an issue or permissions, and I go back to having the issue mentioned in the original post when I try running the command using Sudo

If there are any other details that’d help, please feel free to ask. I’m not 100% sure on what is or isn’t relevant, so I might have missed something important.

a quick update on this, the issue seemed to be having the wrong version of java (I had openjdk-9 instead of openjdk-8)

If anyone else had issues with console messages such as:

!MESSAGE An internal error occurred during: "Refreshing workspace"

I fixed the issue by removing the downloaded Katalon instance that i was using, and replacing it with a freshly downloaded version ( making sure it was in the same location ). My tests were then able to run successfully again.

My setup:

- Katalon 5.4.1

- Ubuntu 16.04

- Tests running from the terminal

1 Like