Linux Install Instructions for running on a remote headless server

I am trying to install and automate a katalon test suite on a Linux Ubuntu server hosted in the cloud. I have utilized the jenkins tutorial. However it doesn’t cover how the installation on the Linux box should work. The rest of the docs are a bit unclear when it comes to Linux and information on non GUI installs.

Is there information you can provide to help the make the installation on linx severs for the jenkins automation more clear? Even if it is just an addition to the above linked tutorial.

Thanks!

@Alex said:
I am trying to install and automate a katalon test suite on a Linux Ubuntu server hosted in the cloud. I have utilized the jenkins tutorial. However it doesn’t cover how the installation on the Linux box should work. The rest of the docs are a bit unclear when it comes to Linux and information on non GUI installs.

Is there information you can provide to help the make the installation on linx severs for the jenkins automation more clear? Even if it is just an addition to the above linked tutorial.

Thanks!

The only way to use Linux version in Jenkins is using console mode execution. Just generate your command and use it Jenkins like that tutorial and it’s good to go

So this is the command I am running, and the resulting error./Katalon_Studio-4.8/katalon -runMode=console -projectPath=/var/lib/jenkins/workspace/Integration Test Suite/TestforTest.prj -reportFolder=Reports -reportFileName=report -retry=0 -testSuitePath=Test Suites/TS_RegressionTest -browserType=Chrome10:32:13 Starting Groovy-Eclipse compiler resolver.  Specified compiler level: unspecified
10:32:13 122 2.4.7.xx-201611170128-e46 = ACTIVE
10:32:14 org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.ResourceException: Invalid project description.
10:32:14 	at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Project.checkDescription(Project.java:169)
10:32:14 	at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Project.assertCreateRequirements(Project.java:53)
10:32:14 	at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Project.create(Project.java:263)
10:32:14 	at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Project.create(Project.java:247)
10:32:14 	at com.kms.katalon.groovy.util.GroovyUtil.initGroovyProjectDescription(GroovyUtil.java:484)
10:32:14 	at com.kms.katalon.groovy.util.GroovyUtil.initGroovyProject(GroovyUtil.java:149)
10:32:14 	at com.kms.katalon.groovy.util.GroovyUtil.openGroovyProject(GroovyUtil.java:585)
10:32:14 	at com.kms.katalon.dal.fileservice.manager.ProjectFileServiceManager.openProject(ProjectFileServiceManager.java:62)
10:32:14 	at com.kms.katalon.dal.fileservice.dataprovider.ProjectFileServiceDataProvider.getProject(ProjectFileServiceDataProvider.java:22)
10:32:14 	at com.kms.katalon.controller.ProjectController.openProject(ProjectController.java:91)
10:32:14 	at com.kms.katalon.execution.console.ConsoleMain.getProject(ConsoleMain.java:223)
10:32:14 	at com.kms.katalon.execution.console.ConsoleMain.findProject(ConsoleMain.java:130)
10:32:14 	at com.kms.katalon.execution.console.ConsoleMain.launch(ConsoleMain.java:70)
10:32:14 	at com.kms.katalon.console.application.Application.runConsole(Application.java:62)
10:32:14 	at com.kms.katalon.core.application.Application.runConsole(Application.java:72)
10:32:14 	at com.kms.katalon.core.application.Application.start(Application.java:56)
10:32:14 	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
10:32:14 	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)
10:32:14 	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)
10:32:14 	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:388)
10:32:14 	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:243)
10:32:14 	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
10:32:14 	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
10:32:14 	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
10:32:14 	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
10:32:14 	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:673)
10:32:14 	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:610)
10:32:14 	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1519)
10:32:14 	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1492)
10:32:14 Contains: OK

This thread might help you: http://forum.katalon.com/discussion/2585/cannot-run-in-console-mode-on-ubuntu

So you think that the Katalon program needs to be located in a folder different from my jenkins workspace and the imported folder ?

I tried moving it out of the work space, and am continuing to get the same error. Please advise.

So maybe send me your .project and .prj file from your project folder with its content so that I can see

And also it’s suggested to use Katalon Studio latest version? Please try with latest version (5.3) and execute the command in different folder, not within your current workspace

Do You have an email I can send it to I would rather not post our entire test suite on a public forum.

Yes please send to me through vinhnguyen@kms-technology.com :slight_smile: