Reissuing Tests Cases

Many thanks for providing an alternative to Selenium IDE. We have a large set of Selenium IDE tests which I’m trying to migrate and I have to admit I’m having a bit of a 'mare.

How do I use the same test case more than once? Unlike Selenium, Katalon doesn’t store its test cases as separate files but includes them in the Test Suite file.

I’ve got a number of ‘common’ test cases which I use across multiple tests suites from setting variables across the Test Suites and simple User Login scripts to much more complex data checking ones. I’ve searched and found some references to reusing test cases but they all refer to examples in Katalon studio.

Any suggestions for how to do this or achieve the same thing the Katalon way?

Thanks,
Trish

hi, Like trish, i too have many selenium IDE tests where i use lot of variables which is use across other tests in single test suite. But katalon is not storing the values in variables. Echo or print of variables is not showing the value. Please respond and give us solution in katalon recorder.

Awnser from the Selenium IDE project related to the variables:

That can not be the case, although in Selenium IDE test cases are ran one by one in a synchronized fashion, we are actively working on exporting Selenium IDE projects to webdriver code where it will be ran in parallel.
Thus you can’t rely on a test case to be ran before you, and use it’s variables.
And since test cases will be ran independently in webdriver, they can’t share variables between them, you would have to re-evaluate any or all variables before each test.

@sudha can you please add more information about the version of chrome/firefox and extension or other valuable information as logs?

But katalon is not storing the values in variables. Echo or print of variables is not showing the value. Please respond and give us solution in katalon recorder.

For me the variables work like a charm!

Hi Patrick ,

my firefox is 58 and katalon automation recorder is firefox extension and it is 3.1.2 . Find the log and command screen shot below

VariablesForumPost.png

${katalonUrl} should be in Target and will be displayed in the log.

Patrick Groot said:

${katalonUrl} should be in Target and will be displayed in the log.

I have tried in both ways. But no result. Actually all my variables are in target only. this is just an example. anyway see this screen shot

VariablesPost2.png

This is because you run it manually, also reported this behavior in the bugs forum. You need to run it using the play/execute test case button. :slight_smile:

Hi all,

I have tested on my machine and was able to show value in the Variables tab and also in Log

We’d suggest removing the extension + restart Browser. Then reinstall fresh Katalon Recorder.

Let us know if you still have problems,

Liam

Patrick Groot said:

This is because you run it manually, also reported this behavior in the bugs forum. You need to run it using the play/execute test case button. :slight_smile:

Yes, You are correct when i play the test case it works but not while i run individual command.
Also, i could see some times double click of single command for execution is not executing and instead it is displaying stay on page or leave page prompt in firefox katalon. Is this also a known bug ?

Hi. This is not possible at this moment. A variable can be modified at the top of the test case, therefore if we want to get the correct value of that variable when executing a single “echo” command, we need to execute all commands before that point, which would be an unexpected behavior.