Objects in the Tests Explorer are not sorted alphabetically

The items in Test Cases and Object Repository are not sorted alphabetically in the explorer bar and I cannot find an option in preferences to fix it.

5 Likes

@brandon hines said:
The items in Test Cases and Object Repository are not sorted alphabetically in the explorer bar and I cannot find an option in preferences to fix it.

This is not a bug because this is the current behavior of Tests Explorer. It will sort your items based on the created date of them. So I will move it to ‘Features / Improvements Suggestion’ category instead

Could we request a feature enhancement to sort objects, test cases, etc, by name? I tend to search for object by what they are, not when they were created.

3 Likes

Sorting feature for all Tests Explorer objects will be more than useful and mandatory for any serious testing overview. Till then we can use search and filter out needed object by part or full name :slight_smile:

For me it does not even seem to “sort” based on objects created. It just seems to randomly move them up and down. I rename one, it just sends it up or down, but never to the top or to the bottom, so it if it did sort by date, my consequence of scripts should then be in order and they never are.

Sorting by name on most software packages and websites that deal with files and folders even if they are virtual is usually a built-in feature.

Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 10.36.46 AM.png

It seems that the PC Version of Katalon Studio is sorted alphabetically, but the Mac version is not. Both are on Katalon Studio 5.4.1. Can the Mac version get some love please? It is not fun constantly hunting down files ( literally ). Projects get big fast, and watching and keeping track of files and folders is daunting when there is no logical order to them on screen. The PC Version is how it should be (see second image). I am trying to sell my company on your software and things like this add unnecessary complexity to the workflow. The PC version is so organized. I am sure the Mac users would greatly appreciate it! Thank you.

Mac Version (5.4.1) Random file order:

PC Version (5.4.1) Alphabetically file order:

Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 3.57.43 PM.png

PC Version 5.4.1.png

1 Like

Todd,

Thank you for your information. I have noted and will pass it to the development team for further look.

Thanks again for your support,
Liam

2 Likes

Liam,

This area is also bonkers. The Custom capabilities is not in any type of logical order. Seems to suffer what we are seeing with files and folders.

As you can see here Firefox, chrome, safari… is just spread out all over the place, nothing is contained logically. It is really hard to look at.

This is how it looks in the Finder / file system:

I hope you guys can smooth out these rough edges. Thank you.

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 5.18.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 5.22.28 PM.png

Mac version 5.4.1 Build 1 and still there are no alphabetical order of test cases, objects, suites etc.

Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 11.32.16.png

1 Like

Zlatan Midzic said:

Mac version 5.4.1 Build 1 and still there are no alphabetical order of test cases, objects, suites etc.

5.4.2 you mean. Same here. PC version good. maybe it’s an issue being XNU (X is not Unix).

In all seriousness, this bug is one of the largest time sinks. Automation should make your life easier. We should NOT have to search for objects randomly in a tree. KS projects get big fast. I find myself creating extra sub folders or sub folders to try to combat the random noise of files and folders just getting left out randomly in a list and it doesn’t fully solve the problem. Our brains do not work this way and I’ve opened the wrong test cases and test suites many times by accident because files get flipped around so easily.

PC version looks great! Mac version needs some TLC in this area.

Upvoted this, it appears to onl have changed recently as well, im sure previous versions were in alpha order, hense our naming scheme we’ve used eg: TC001 and TC002 etc… now they are all over the place…

1 Like

I would love to have the option to sort the object repository in an “explorer-like” fashion, IE Folders first, then “files”(objects).
Currently, the only sorting i have is alphabetical, but the folders are mixed with the objects. It’s not a big deal, but on a conceptual level it feels “wrong” and i lose some time every time i am looking for something since my brain is wired to look for folders up top.

4 Likes

brandon hines said:

Any update on this?

3 Likes

Zac Anderson said:

brandon hines said:

Any update on this?

Guys, please fix this. Tired of endless objects searching:c

2 Likes

I found an interesting read:

Eclipse Corner Article

How to use the JFace Tree Viewer

https://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-TreeViewer/TreeViewerArticle.htm

“Viewer Sorter” section.

----------

What I learned from this article is that the tree view in Eclipse is NOT sorted as default. If you want entities to be sorted, the imlementors need to work out.

1 Like

Liam B said:

Todd,

Thank you for your information. I have noted and will pass it to the development team for further look.

Thanks again for your support,
Liam

Hi Liam,
Can you please chase up on this for us, its quite a small but frustrating thing for us mac users.
Thank you,
Zac

2 Likes

Please fix this, I loose a lot of time just because stuff is not ordered !

2 Likes

kazurayam said:

I found an interesting read:

Eclipse Corner Article

“Viewer Sorter” section.

----------

What I learned from this article is that the tree view in Eclipse is NOT sorted as default. If you want entities to be sorted, the imlementors need to work out.

Then why does the PC Version have them sorted correctly? They are both using Eclipse.

Todd,

Then why does the PC Version have them sorted correctly? They are both using Eclipse.

I do not know.

By googling I found the following log in the Eclipse Bugzilla:

One of the comments tells:

Boris Bokowski CLA Friend 2006-08-09 11:08:18 EDT

The root cause of this is that SWT’s Tree.getSelection() explicitly says that the order of the returned items is unspecified. In practice, for Linux/GTK and Windows, the returned items are in order, and on the Mac, the order is reversed.

All it indicates is — Windows and OSx are different :wink:

1 Like

Vinh Nguyen said:

@brandon hines said:

This is not a bug because this is the current behavior of Tests Explorer. It will sort your items based on the created date of them. So I will move it to ‘Features / Improvements Suggestion’ category instead

Vinh wrote “It will sort items based on the created date”. I have a doubt on this. I could confirm that on my Mac, the Test Objects in Katalon Studio is not sorted by created date nor sorted by name. I guess that Katalon does NOT do any explicit sorting over the tree. Therefore the order of the tree items is just unspecified.

1 Like