Manage test suite by MS Excel

Currently it seems that Katalon supports only XML test suite.
I’m wondering if Katalon can provide a great enhancement using MS Excel managing test suite for some reasons I think
- End user can customize test suite easily rather than open XML to customize or open KATALON tool to customize test suite.
- In MS Excel file, there is a Summary sheet that list out all test suites (A,B,C,D) with Yes/No, if I select Yes for A,B only and run it, only test suite A and B are run.
+ in sheet test suite A, we can have 100 test cases, I only check Yes on 10 cases for smoke test purpose => If I run, only 10 test cases of test suite A are run.

With this kind of test suite management using Excel, user can customize what they want to run quickly/easily as well as they are able to run a few customized test suites.

Cheers,
Vinh

1 Like

vinh bao quang said:

Currently it seems that Katalon supports only XML test suite.
I’m wondering if Katalon can provide a great enhancement using MS Excel managing test suite for some reasons I think
- End user can customize test suite easily rather than open XML to customize or open KATALON tool to customize test suite.
- In MS Excel file, there is a Summary sheet that list out all test suites (A,B,C,D) with Yes/No, if I select Yes for A,B only and run it, only test suite A and B are run.
+ in sheet test suite A, we can have 100 test cases, I only check Yes on 10 cases for smoke test purpose => If I run, only 10 test cases of test suite A are run.

With this kind of test suite management using Excel, user can customize what they want to run quickly/easily as well as they are able to run a few customized test suites.

Cheers,
Vinh

Hi Vinh,

Thanks so much for your feedback! We really appreciate that you took the time to share your team’s experiences and ideas regarding Katalon Studio. I have logged this suggestion to further discuss with the team.

If you have any further input or feature requests, please let us know.

Best,
Liam

@Liam B: We are facing a similar challenge with our team. Is there a way to do this?

This is what we need:

> We have a set of 100 Test Cases
> Data Source will be an Excel Sheet
> Excel will have a Single Tab which contains all 100 Test Cases with first 2 columns as ‘Yes/ No’ and ‘TestCaseName’
> A Driver Script will Find the combination of TestCaseName + ‘Yes’ Flag

Advantage:

> User only manipulates Excel Sheet Column instead of modifying the Test Suite

Challenge:

> The Report will still log all the iterations for each test case, making the count as 100*100 (if all Test Cases are marked as ‘Yes’)

Need Help:

> Is there a way to restrict which entries go into the report and which are skipped? (e.g., Unless ‘Login’ Action is invoked, I do not want to write that entry into the Test Report)