How to get Katalon BDD executed?

Hello,

I am kind of new to the BDD framework

I would like to implement the BDD framework, I have installed the Katalon BDD plugin in my JIRA and also configured the custom fields for Katalon Gherkin.

Now I would like to know how to write the test in JIRA and execute the same in Katalon.

I tried to search for a detailed documentation, but no help with that too.

Even the below link is not that helpful, It just says what the BDD plugin does and does not says how to do it.
https://docs.katalon.com/display/KD/Install+and+Use+Katalon's+JIRA+add-on

Please help.

Thanks

1 Like

TonyThomas said:

Hello,

I am kind of new to the BDD framework

I would like to implement the BDD framework, I have installed the Katalon BDD plugin in my JIRA and also configured the custom fields for Katalon Gherkin.

Now I would like to know how to write the test in JIRA and execute the same in Katalon.

I tried to search for a detailed documentation, but no help with that too.

Even the below link is not that helpful, It just says what the BDD plugin does and does not says how to do it.

https://docs.katalon.com/display/KD/Install+and+Use+Katalon’s+JIRA+add-on

Please help.

Thanks

Any Update on this ?

1 Like

It seems to me that they are just trying not to loose traction and play safe.
BDD has been gaining relevance although its been here for a long time already.
So they want to say #me too# but truth is that
a) all one get is a specific fields in Jira where we can look to the gherkin…
b) everything is dependent on studio: most likely the gherkin is not parsed and simply ignored and then presented in reports, maybe…

Same think robotframework is doing…

In the end what is needed is the ability to link a .feature file that resides on version control and edit it in Jira with proper highlight… and to run it feature files should be parsed by cucumber, assisting the development of BBD process by developers, not scripters-…

disapointed!!

Hi Jose and Tony,

I agree with you on the functionality, Jose. The Plugin is aimed to help BDD Test scenario being written in a nice Gherkin format and the integration helps to make a link between Test Scenario in Jira and in Katalon Studio to keep track the Testing status. It cannot help to generate automation test scripts since BDD idea is about natural languages and it is much different from teams to teams. Personally, I think BDD Test scenario in Gherkin is a layer specific for a team and we cannot use a solution to fit with all.

Tony,
Katalon Studio is a Keyword-based framework, so it does not support BDD framework completely. Katalon Studio is powerful for functional testing (UI, API, Mobile) and it simply hasn’t supported BDD solution yet. There are some other tools (free) available to support BDD with some generic built-in steps. However, I do believe that each team with different Project domain will have different scenarios that these generic steps could not fit for all. The best solution is you building BDD framework for yourself using Selenium (UI), Rest-assured (API), etc. Of course, it requires good programming kills from you and your team.

Kind regards,

Just FYI - Cucumber integration has been available.