Exporting Test Cases and Test Suites

Selenium IDE has the ability to export test cases into a user’s programming language and test framework of choice. e.g. “Java / JUnit / WebDriver” or “C# / NUnit / WebDriver”. This is very useful because it allows us to quickly produce a test case/suite which can then be adapted.

Are there any plans for Katalon Studio to provide a similar feature?

12 Likes

Hi. Check out Katalon Recorder http://forum.katalon.com/discussion/4056/katalon-automation-recorder-powerful-selenium-ide-to-record-debug-play-tests-in-any-browsers. I’m using it to export my old Selenium IDE test cases to C# and it works well so far.

How exactly are you loading in your existing Selenium IDE test cases? I can’t seem to find an import option in the Katalon Recorder and pasting into the script section of a test case produces multiple syntax errors.

Eleanor,
In Selenium, when you save a test case it should be saved as an html file.
In Katalon Recorder, if you click on the three vertical dots next to ‘Test Case’, select ‘Open Test Suites’ then browse to your Selenium test case html file, select it and click ‘Open’

Hope this helps

1 Like

Hi Mark,

1. Could you provide a screenshot indicating where is the 3 vertical dots? I don’t see it anywhere in the Katalon Recorder.
  2. Open test suite and then select test case but not test suite html file?
    Thanks,

Here’s a screenshot showing the three dots next to the Test case heading

And here’s a screenshot showing the expanded menu

It looks like you can open both Test Suites and Test Cases html files. If you open a Test Case it seems to create a Test Suite as well.

Note that I’m using the latest version (2.0.10) of the recorder in Firefox.

Ian,
We just posted tutorials on working with Katalon Automation Recorder. Please take a look

Import recorded Test Case into Katalon Automation Recorder

How to import Selenium IDE test cases into Katalon Studio

Let us know if you have other questions.

Also, thank you Mark for helping out :slight_smile:

Liam

1 Like

can we export existing test cases to execute again?? I didn’t get any option there…

1 Like

Hello Everyone… Is there a way to export Katalon scripts via java/junit to my local computer?

Hi @“shital ayarekar” and @Marcy,

Thank you for using Katalon Studio. Katalon Studio does not support exporting test scripts at the moment. But the team will consider it for future releases.

Would you please explain what you are trying to achieve? Maybe we can help with a workaround.

Best,
Liam

1 Like

I would like to write tests of the form

1. perform some actions generated using Katalon studio (record or manual mode)
  2. Call a custom API function to validate if actions in 1. resulted in the expected result in an external component

Regarding exporting the test scripts - is there an older version that does test export? Exporting the test to python is my main use case, I see that in the documentation but not in the product. Am I missing it?

Greg Turnquist said:

Regarding exporting the test scripts - is there an older version that does test export? Exporting the test to python is my main use case, I see that in the documentation but not in the product. Am I missing it?

Hi Greg,

All of Katalon Studio versions don’t have test export. It is something the team is considering for future releases.

Thanks for using Katalon Studio,
Liam

1 Like

+1 for export functionality !

7 Likes

Looking to start using Katalon studio but the one big blocker is the inability to export tests - this means we are committed to Katalon and have no opt out if we fall out of love with it in the future. The export functionality would allow us to adhere to our business continuity policy.

5 Likes

+1 for Export functionality.Exporting the test to python is my main use case, I see that in the documentation but not in the product.If it is not available, is there any other way round to use the Katalon studio script in python ?

3 Likes

Export to Python is in the Recorder but not in Studio.

That’s what I was missing. -Greg

2 Likes

Another +1. Our use case is we develop test cases for software we build for clients. But if their standard is to use Selenium, we need to provide them Selenium scripts. Katalon *should* make developing these scripts faster and easier for us (at least that is our hope as we continue to test it’s capabilities), but if we can’t provide the customer the results in the format desired, it becomes a non-starter. Since this capability is already built into the Katalon Recorder, please consider adding the same feature into the full Studio product.

6 Likes

Hi Liam

Liam B said:

Ian,

We just posted tutorials on working with Katalon Automation Recorder. Please take a look

[How to import Selenium IDE test cases into Katalon Studio

](How to import Selenium IDE test cases into Katalon Studio - Katalon Recorder - Katalon Community)

If I try the above with selenium test cases built in Katalon Recorder, I get errors. It does not work. I have reported the bugs I found here:

I hope someone (Liam?) can help me do this.

Thanks

Russ Thomas said:

Hi Liam

Liam B said:

Ian,

[How to import Selenium IDE test cases into Katalon Studio

](How to import Selenium IDE test cases into Katalon Studio - Katalon Recorder - Katalon Community)

If I try the above with selenium test cases built in Katalon Recorder, I get errors. It does not work. I have reported the bugs I found here:

Exporting Katalon Recorder test scripts for use in Katalon Studio - Bugs Report - Katalon Community

I hope someone (Liam?) can help me do this.

Thanks

Russ,

I have replied to your other post. Please refer to that post for details answer to your issue.

Thank you for choosing Katalon Studio,
Liam