How to find out if element selector works without executing test?

If I change the selector for an element do I have to execute tests again to see if it would work?

It takes forever do that

That’s right. It will make execution on session(s) which were opened previously by Katalon Studio.

Yes look like that was the problem. If the window is still open the option is here :slight_smile: Thanks for help it is so much easier to troubleshoot the tests now :slight_smile:

Hi there,

Please double check if the previous has been closed or not? It should be kept so that you can execute on there: http://prntscr.com/fk0fdg

I follow the steps from your advice but when I right click on the step the ‘execute from here’ is inactive

Hi there,

So here is another solution based on Katalon Studio feature.

Execute your test script until the test execution comes to the step you want to check for object, e.g WebUI.setText(findTestObject('/path/to/object',30))
If the selectors of that test object are correct and Katalon Studio can detect it, then clearly this step’s status will be PASSED, otherwise, test execution will be stopped on the current web application page. DO NOT close that web application now.
In case of failed execution: Go to your test object and edit its selectors. After that open the test script again, right click on failed step and then select ‘Execute from this step’ on Katalon session from step #2

So you don’t need to execute your whole test script again and again.

The problem I have is following:

1. I have object captured using Katalon studio
2. This object has 6 different selector rows: class, span, xpath
3. I want to quickly tell which selector rows should have their checkbox checked so that element can be located. Compose those selectors each time by hand and typing that into xpath helper takes just too much time and is boring. Also this actually requires you to understand how to make selectors which, in my opinion should not be necessary to use this software.

Have a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mR9qyeJ9uo. In general, you just need to input the xpath and then query it using that plugin on the current page application.