Katalon Studio v5.8 - It's time for the all-new API testing experience
chand mehta
Katalon Apprentice
10/05/2018

iOS simulators not visible in katalon studio

Hi All,
I am stuck in a process where simulator , even if up and running, is not visible in Katalon Studio. The same is visible and working in Xcode. Kindly help on the same on urgent basis.
Upvote

Comments

• Chris Trevarthen
    Katalon Ambassador
    10/05/2018
    Hi Chand,

Can you confirm a few things?

- What version of Xcode are you using?
    - What version of Appium are you using?
    - What does your xcode-select command point to? From your terminal, run:
    xcode-select -p
    If you don't see anything from the xcode-select command, you'll need to make sure you set a default Xcode version:
    sudo xcode-select -s /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer

Thanks,
    Chris
    Upvote
  • chand mehta
    Katalon Apprentice
    10/10/2018
    Hi Chris
    Thanks for replying. The details are as under :

Xcode version : 10.0 (10A255)
    Appium version : 1.8.1
    xcode-select : /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools

Actually I was able to view all the simulators in my Katalon studio local devices list when I installed it. But later, when I made changes to in appium configurations by installing Carthage and so on, the simulators are no more visible in Katalon.
    Upvote
  • Chris Trevarthen
    Katalon Ambassador
    10/10/2018
    Hi Chand,

Your xcode-select command output looks like it might cause you problems. Can you try running the command:

sudo xcode-select -s /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer

And see if that helps?

- Chris

Upvote
  • chand mehta
    Katalon Apprentice
    10/11/2018
    Thank you so much Chris. It worked like a charm. Can you please throw some light on the root cause of the problem along with function of above mentioned command ?

Thanks again.
    Upvote
  • Chris Trevarthen
    Katalon Ambassador
    10/11/2018
    Hi Chand,

Xcode has a number of tools that come with it, including the simulators. Other programs, like Katalon Studio, rely on those tools to get lists of simulators using the command

xcrun simctl list

In order to prevent hardcoding of the Xcode app path (and support multiple versions of Xcode on one machine), xcode-select is used to point to the currently desired version.

Installing new versions of Xcode (and sometimes other system tools) can mess up that xcode-select path, so we need to reset it to the correct one.

One thing to note: Katalon Studio doesn't support Xcode 10 yet, so you will need to install an older version on your machine as well (which is where xcode-select becomes very handy).

You'll have to install an older version (9.4.1 is what I have) alongside Xcode 10. You can do this by going to https://developer.apple.com/download/more/ and downloading the older one.

You'll be asked to "Keep Both" when you install - do that. I named mine "Xcode_9.4.app". Then you'll have to set the default version to the older version:

sudo xcode-select -s /Applications/Xcode_9.4.app/Contents/Developer

Enter your login/system password when prompted.

Now you can use Xcode 10 to develop, but still run Katalon Studio.

Hope this helps,

Chris
    Upvote