Visual Testing in Katalon Studio

I am currently working on enhancement of “Visual Testing in Katalon Studio”. The typical usecase in my mind is to compare screenshots Before and After any work on a production Web system.

I would take a set of screenshots (may be some hundreds of pages) before any work (application upgrade, applying security patches, DB data migration, network resources reconfiguration, etc) around my Web App. After a few hours once the work is done, I would take another set of screenshots of the same Web App. I will compare the 2 sets of images. If the 2 sets are completely identical, ok, I can go home with relief. But when the comparison revealed any significant image differences, I must have made silly mistakes and caused unplanned/unexpected changes in the system. I will go back to the system and will fix problems BEFORE my customers notice it.

I think I can release the new version in a month by the end of April 2019. This enhancement required quite significant changes of the Materies library, but the job has been done and near completion.

My current idea is to comapre the latest status of a web system against a previous status specifying a timestamp. Your requirement (@eb1, comparing 2019-01-01 and 2019-02-30) is a bit different, but principally similar type of problem. I can imagine a future enhancement to support comparing 2 time slices specifying 2 timestamps.

The coming new version will be capable of marking tests as failed if “one or more significant enough differences found”.

2 Likes