Keyword runFeatureFile was failed (Root cause: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Boolean)

I am using Katalon Studio v5.10.1 on mac OS High Siera 10.13

I started learning BDD Testing Framework in Katalon Studio. I read the manual

and retyped the sample Cucumber Feature and Script.
I have made a demo project on GitHub:

When I ran the “My Feature File.feature”, I got the following errors.

01-07-2019 10:52:18 午後 Verification

Elapsed time: 1.574s

Verification FAILED.
Reason:
com.kms.katalon.core.exception.StepFailedException: Keyword runFeatureFile was failed (Root cause: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Boolean)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.keyword.internal.KeywordMain.stepFailed(KeywordMain.groovy:36)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.keyword.internal.KeywordMain.stepFailed(KeywordMain.groovy)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.keyword.internal.KeywordMain.runKeyword(KeywordMain.groovy:56)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.keyword.internal.KeywordMain$runKeyword.call(Unknown Source)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.cucumber.keyword.CucumberBuiltinKeywords.runFeatureFile(CucumberBuiltinKeywords.groovy:46)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.cucumber.keyword.CucumberBuiltinKeywords$runFeatureFile$0.callStatic(Unknown Source)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.cucumber.keyword.CucumberBuiltinKeywords.runFeatureFile(CucumberBuiltinKeywords.groovy:101)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.cucumber.keyword.CucumberBuiltinKeywords$runFeatureFile.call(Unknown Source)
	at WSVerification1546869138248.run(WSVerification1546869138248:2)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.ScriptEngine.run(ScriptEngine.java:194)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.ScriptEngine.runScriptAsRawText(ScriptEngine.java:119)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.WSVerificationExecutor.runScript(WSVerificationExecutor.java:146)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.WSVerificationExecutor.doExecute(WSVerificationExecutor.java:140)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.WSVerificationExecutor.processExecutionPhase(WSVerificationExecutor.java:123)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.WSVerificationExecutor.accessMainPhase(WSVerificationExecutor.java:115)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.WSVerificationExecutor.execute(WSVerificationExecutor.java:103)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain.runFeatureFile(TestCaseMain.java:136)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain$runFeatureFile$0.call(Unknown Source)
	at TempTempCase1546869134572.run(TempTempCase1546869134572.groovy:21)

NoClassDefFoundError: Boolean — what happend?

When I ran it again, I got slightly different error:

01-07-2019 10:47:16 午後 Verification

Elapsed time: 1.333s

Verification FAILED.
Reason:
com.kms.katalon.core.exception.StepFailedException: Keyword runFeatureFile was failed (Root cause: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: TestObject)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.keyword.internal.KeywordMain.stepFailed(KeywordMain.groovy:36)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.keyword.internal.KeywordMain.stepFailed(KeywordMain.groovy)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.keyword.internal.KeywordMain.runKeyword(KeywordMain.groovy:56)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.keyword.internal.KeywordMain$runKeyword.call(Unknown Source)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.cucumber.keyword.CucumberBuiltinKeywords.runFeatureFile(CucumberBuiltinKeywords.groovy:46)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.cucumber.keyword.CucumberBuiltinKeywords$runFeatureFile$0.callStatic(Unknown Source)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.cucumber.keyword.CucumberBuiltinKeywords.runFeatureFile(CucumberBuiltinKeywords.groovy:101)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.cucumber.keyword.CucumberBuiltinKeywords$runFeatureFile.call(Unknown Source)
	at WSVerification1546868836976.run(WSVerification1546868836976:2)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.ScriptEngine.runScriptAsRawText(ScriptEngine.java:119)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.WSVerificationExecutor.runScript(WSVerificationExecutor.java:146)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.WSVerificationExecutor.doExecute(WSVerificationExecutor.java:140)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.WSVerificationExecutor.processExecutionPhase(WSVerificationExecutor.java:123)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.WSVerificationExecutor.accessMainPhase(WSVerificationExecutor.java:115)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.WSVerificationExecutor.execute(WSVerificationExecutor.java:103)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain.runFeatureFile(TestCaseMain.java:136)
	at TempTempCase1546868832705.run(TempTempCase1546868832705.groovy:21)

NoClassDefFoundError: TestObject — what happened?

I have no idea what’s the cause.

1 Like

Here I attach .classpath file

classpath.txt (12.3 KB)

1 Like

I attach the .classpath file again. I edited it; sorted <classpathentry> nodes alphabetically; wanted to find out anything irregular. I found nothing curious in it.

classpath.xml (12.4 KB)

1 Like

I have found out the reason why “Keyword runFeatureFile was failed” occured, and how to fix for it.

Cause: I have not yet created the Test Objects referenced by Include/scripts/groovy/MyStepDefinition.groovy. therefore the MyStepDefinition failed. Unfortunately the error message did not tell me the cause. So I got confused.

As a fix, I created the Test Objects using WebRecorder tool. Then the Feature ran successfull. The fixed version is here:

Why I forgot creating the Test Objects? Well, simply because the Katalon documents does not mention that I need to create them before I write the StepDefinition script. Now I know I should have done it without being told to.

1 Like

However the message I saw on Mac “Keyword runFeatureFile was failed (Root cause: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Boolean” was not informative enough. It did not tell me the real cause: required Test Objects were missing. I want Katalon Studio to emit more informative message.

2 Likes

The same script https://github.com/kazurayam/TestingKatalonCustomKeywordsByCucumber/tree/0.1 behaved differently on Mac and Windows. The error messages were different. On Mac the message did not indicate that I miss Test Objects and just gave a mysterious message “NoClassDefFoundError:Boolean”. But on Windows the message explicitly told me that the required Test Objects are missing.

2019-01-08 11:31:39.916 e[39mDEBUGe[0;39m e[36mc.k.k.c.c.keyword.CucumberReporter       -e[0;39m e[39m✓ I navigate to Cura System homepagee[0;39m
2019-01-08 11:31:39.916 e[39mDEBUGe[0;39m e[36mc.k.k.c.c.keyword.CucumberReporter       -e[0;39m e[39mSTEP I click Make Appointment buttone[0;39m
2019-01-08 11:31:39.963 e[31mWARN e[0;39m e[36mc.k.k.core.testobject.ObjectRepository   -e[0;39m e[39mTest object with id 'Object Repository/Page_CURA Healthcare Service/a_Make Appointment' does not existe[0;39m
2019-01-08 11:31:39.994 e[31mWARN e[0;39m e[36mc.k.k.core.testobject.ObjectRepository   -e[0;39m e[39mTest object with id 'Object Repository/' does not existe[0;39m
2019-01-08 11:31:40.822 e[1;31mERRORe[0;39m e[36mc.k.k.core.keyword.internal.KeywordMain  -e[0;39m e[31m❌ Unable to click on object (Root cause: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Object is null)e[0;39m
2019-01-08 11:31:40.858 e[1;31mERRORe[0;39m e[36mc.k.k.c.c.keyword.CucumberReporter       -e[0;39m e[31m❌ I click Make Appointment button FAILED.e[0;39m
e[31mReason:e[0;39m
e[31mcom.kms.katalon.core.exception.StepFailedException: Unable to click on object (Root cause: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Object is null)e[0;39m
e[31m	at com.kms.katalon.core.keyword.internal.KeywordMain.stepFailed(KeywordMain.groovy:36)e[0;39m
e[31m	at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.internal.WebUIKeywordMain.stepFailed(WebUIKeywordMain.groovy:65)e[0;39m
e[31m	at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.internal.WebUIKeywordMain.runKeyword(WebUIKeywordMain.groovy:27)e[0;39m
e[31m
2 Likes

@kazurayam

Thank you alot. Appreciated it.

Hi @kazurayam
my Feature and step definition haven’t any test object but the message is still “com.kms.katalon.core.exception.StepFailedException: Keyword runFeatureFile was failed (Root cause: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: TestObject”

Can you provide more clear steps to me fix this?

Could you zip your project and share it?

2 Likes

RO.zip (1.8 MB)
This is my project, thank you for take care my issue.

I could reproduce your problem on my PC by running “Test Cases/New Test Case”. Very strange.

@ThanhTo, @devalex88

Please join us.

To me there seems to be a bug in Katalon Studio.

The printed stack trace is not informative at all for investigating the root cause — this is frustrating; should be improved. I am afraid some information might be discarded by KS.

3 Likes

Same for me.
On both my PCs 6.1.1 broken.
On MacOS 6.1.0 OK
Docker image OK.

Hi @anhphong1110, @Mateusz,

Please try to delete bin folder then open your project again.

Thanks

1 Like

Goodmorning same issue here, after installing 6.2.0 release

issue appears in all
Cucumber files and wsdl files

Tried to delete bin folder but, issue stays the same

1. deleted bin in 6.1.1 on PC and restarted --> “Problems” tab was showing issues related to workaround i did for Dynamic CucumberOptions Tags (using tags for cucumber)

2. removed workaround, upgraded to 6.2.0, deleted ‘bin’ & ‘Libs’, restarted Katalon and executed feature file directly (no tags whatsoever): exception same as rodevries’:

Verification FAILED.
     Reason:
     com.kms.katalon.core.exception.StepFailedException: Keyword runFeatureFile was failed (Root cause: cucumber.runtime.CucumberException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/w3c/dom/ElementTraversal
     	at cucumber.runtime.formatter.PluginFactory.newInstance(PluginFactory.java:110)
     	at cucumber.runtime.formatter.PluginFactory.instantiate(PluginFactory.java:91)
     	at cucumber.runtime.formatter.PluginFactory.create(PluginFactory.java:76)
     	at cucumber.runtime.RuntimeOptions.getPlugins(RuntimeOptions.java:317)
     	at cucumber.runtime.RuntimeOptions.cucumberFeatures(RuntimeOptions.java:306)
     	at cucumber.runtime.Runtime.run(Runtime.java:97)
     	at cucumber.api.cli.Main.run(Main.java:35)
     	at cucumber.api.cli.Main$run.call(Unknown Source)
     	at com.kms.katalon.core.cucumber.keyword.CucumberBuiltinKeywords$_runFeatureFile_closure1.doCall(CucumberBuiltinKeywords.groovy:76)
     	at com.kms.katalon.core.cucumber.keyword.CucumberBuiltinKeywords$_runFeatureFile_closure1.doCall(CucumberBuiltinKeywords.groovy)
     	at com.kms.katalon.core.keyword.internal.KeywordMain.runKeyword(KeywordMain.groovy:68)
     	at WSVerification1560349031678.run(WSVerification1560349031678:2)
     	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain.runFeatureFile(TestCaseMain.java:144)
     	at TempTempCase1560349024906.run(TempTempCase1560349024906.groovy:21)
     Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/w3c/dom/ElementTraversal
     	at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.DocumentBuilderImpl.newDocument(Unknown Source)
     	at cucumber.runtime.formatter.JUnitFormatter.<init>(JUnitFormatter.java:88)
     	at cucumber.runtime.formatter.PluginFactory.newInstance(PluginFactory.java:104)
     	... 26 more
     Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.w3c.dom.ElementTraversal
     	... 29 more
     )
     	at com.kms.katalon.core.keyword.internal.KeywordMain.stepFailed(KeywordMain.groovy:50)
     	at com.kms.katalon.core.keyword.internal.KeywordMain.runKeyword(KeywordMain.groovy:70)
     	at WSVerification1560349031678.run(WSVerification1560349031678:2)
     	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain.runFeatureFile(TestCaseMain.java:144)
     	at TempTempCase1560349024906.run(TempTempCase1560349024906.groovy:21)
     Caused by: cucumber.runtime.CucumberException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/w3c/dom/ElementTraversal
     	at com.kms.katalon.core.cucumber.keyword.CucumberBuiltinKeywords$_runFeatureFile_closure1.doCall(CucumberBuiltinKeywords.groovy:76)
     	at com.kms.katalon.core.cucumber.keyword.CucumberBuiltinKeywords$_runFeatureFile_closure1.doCall(CucumberBuiltinKeywords.groovy)
     	at com.kms.katalon.core.keyword.internal.KeywordMain.runKeyword(KeywordMain.groovy:68)
     	... 16 more
     	at cucumber.runtime.formatter.JUnitFormatter.<init>(JUnitFormatter.java:88)
     	... 26 more
     	... 29 more

I get the same with the Docker Image on CI

• xvfb-run -s ‘-screen 0 1024x768x24’ /opt/katalonstudio/katalon -browserType=Chrome -executionProfile=citesting -retry=0 -statusDelay=15 ‘-testSuitePath=Test Suites/ALLBDDTests’ -runMode=console -reportFolder=/builds/merkaba-development/vmsoverlay/KatalonWebTests/report -projectPath=/tmp/katalon_execute/project
    Katalon workspace folder is set to default location: /opt/katalonstudio/config
    Starting Groovy-Eclipse compiler resolver. Specified compiler level: unspecified
    170 2.4.7.xx-201611170128-e46 = ACTIVE

INFO: Katalon Version: 6.2.0
INFO: Command-line arguments: -browserType=Chrome -executionProfile=citesting -retry=0 -statusDelay=15 -testSuitePath=Test Suites/ALLBDDTests -runMode=console -reportFolder=/builds/merkaba-development/vmsoverlay/KatalonWebTests/report -projectPath=/tmp/katalon_execute/project
INFO: User working dir: /tmp/katalon_execute/workspace
INFO: User home: /root
INFO: Java vendor: Oracle Corporation
INFO: Java version: 1.8.0_191
INFO: Local OS: Linux 64bit
INFO: CPU load: 97%
INFO: Total memory: 3694 MB
INFO: Free memory: 220 MB

Project path is a folder.
Examine folder ‘settings’.
Examine folder ‘Test Cases’.
Examine folder ‘Scripts’.
Examine file ‘.classpath’.
Examine file ‘console.properties’.
Examine folder ‘Keywords’.
Examine folder ‘Profiles’.
Examine folder ‘Include’.
Examine file ‘KatalonWebTests.prj’.
Found project file ‘/tmp/katalon_execute/project/KatalonWebTests.prj’.
Examine folder ‘Object Repository’.
Examine folder ‘Test Suites’.
Opening project file: /tmp/katalon_execute/project/KatalonWebTests.prj
Parsing custom keywords in Plugins folder…
Generating global variables…
/%tmp%katalon_execute%project%KatalonWebTests.prj/Keywords/global/globalKeywords.groovy: 21 Groovy:unable to resolve class internal.GlobalVariable
/%tmp%katalon_execute%project%KatalonWebTests.prj/Include/scripts/groovy/addfloorplan/AddFloorplanSteps.groovy: 22 Groovy:unable to resolve class internal.GlobalVariable
/%tmp%katalon_execute%project%KatalonWebTests.prj/Include/scripts/groovy/addserver/AddServerSteps.groovy: 21 Groovy:unable to resolve class internal.GlobalVariable
/%tmp%katalon_execute%project%KatalonWebTests.prj/Include/scripts/groovy/adduser/AddUserSteps.groovy: 21 Groovy:unable to resolve class internal.GlobalVariable
/%tmp%katalon_execute%project%KatalonWebTests.prj/Include/scripts/groovy/login/LoginSteps.groovy: 21 Groovy:unable to resolve class internal.GlobalVariable
/%tmp%katalon_execute%project%KatalonWebTests.prj/Include/scripts/groovy/register/RegisterSteps.groovy: 21 Groovy:unable to resolve class internal.GlobalVariable
Parsing custom keywords…
Project ‘KatalonWebTests’ opened
chromedriver is located at default location: /opt/katalonstudio/configuration/resources/drivers/chromedriver_linux64/chromedriver. In case your browser is updated to a newer version, please use this command to update chromdriver: --config -webui.autoUpdateDrivers=true

Test Suites/ALLBDDTests - Chrome - 20190614_081657…0/4(0%)

2019-06-14 08:17:01.065 INFO c.k.katalon.core.main.TestSuiteExecutor - START Test Suites/ALLBDDTests
2019-06-14 08:17:01.163 INFO c.k.katalon.core.main.TestSuiteExecutor - hostName = root - runner-fa6cab46-project-12816440-concurrent-0
2019-06-14 08:17:01.165 INFO c.k.katalon.core.main.TestSuiteExecutor - os = Linux 64bit
2019-06-14 08:17:01.166 INFO c.k.katalon.core.main.TestSuiteExecutor - hostAddress = 172.17.0.5
2019-06-14 08:17:01.202 INFO c.k.katalon.core.main.TestSuiteExecutor - katalonVersion = 6.2.0.1
2019-06-14 08:17:01.834 INFO c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor - --------------------
2019-06-14 08:17:01.837 INFO c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor - START Test Cases/AddServerFeatures
2019-06-14 08:17:02.549 DEBUG testcase.AddServerFeatures - 1: runFeatureFile(“Include/features/AddServer.feature”)
2019-06-14 08:17:02.644 INFO c.k.k.c.c.k.CucumberBuiltinKeywords - Starting run keyword runFeatureFile: ‘Include/features/AddServer.feature’ and extract report to folder: ‘/tmp/katalon_execute/project/Reports/ALLBDDTests/20190614_081657/cucumber_report/1560500222624’…
2019-06-14 08:17:03.507 ERROR c.k.k.core.keyword.internal.KeywordMain - ? Keyword runFeatureFile was failed (Root cause: cucumber.runtime.CucumberException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/w3c/dom/ElementTraversal
at AddServerFeatures.run(AddServerFeatures:16)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.runScript(TestCaseExecutor.java:337)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.doExecute(TestCaseExecutor.java:328)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.processExecutionPhase(TestCaseExecutor.java:307)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.accessMainPhase(TestCaseExecutor.java:299)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.execute(TestCaseExecutor.java:233)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestSuiteExecutor.accessTestCaseMainPhase(TestSuiteExecutor.java:133)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestSuiteExecutor.accessTestSuiteMainPhase(TestSuiteExecutor.java:116)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestSuiteExecutor.execute(TestSuiteExecutor.java:83)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain.startTestSuite(TestCaseMain.java:157)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain$startTestSuite$0.call(Unknown Source)
at TempTestSuite1560500217606.run(TempTestSuite1560500217606.groovy:35)
at cucumber.runtime.formatter.JUnitFormatter.(JUnitFormatter.java:88)
at Script1560446897555.run(Script1560446897555.groovy:16)
… 13 more
… 32 more
)

1 Like

same issue for me also.

Glad I found this thread. I just started with BDD and followed the same document samples as the original poster, and am getting the same runFeatureFile errors in v6.2.0.

Hi @rodevries, @Mateusz, @gideon, @waiki, @hhomberg

This bug will be resolved in v6.2.1 ASAP.

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/w3c/dom/ElementTraversal  

Thanks for your report.

2 Likes