Katalon should use PAC file for activation

Katalon Sutdio should use proxy info from PAC file for activation purpose not just for web and ws tests.

Not doing so results in Katalon Studio automatically shutting down every 30 minutes or so when using “Use system proxy configuration” preference

Operating System Windows 10
Katalon Studio Version 7.2.1
Katalon Studio logs

com.kms.katalon.integration.analytics.exceptions.AnalyticsApiExeception: 
org.apache.http.conn.HttpHostConnectException: Connect to analytics.katalon.com:443 
[analytics.katalon.com/54.210.241.240, analytics.katalon.com/52.72.122.253] failed: Connection timed 
out: connect

Steps to reproduce
On a windows10 machine with a valid PAC file

• Start Katalon Studio with proxy config on “USE SYSTEM”
  • Activating progress window hangs for nearly one minute then close
  • Project is loaded all right
  • Fetching latest plugins window hangs for nearly one minute then throw an error
    Error reloading plugins
    com.kms.katalon.plugin.models.ReloadPluginsException: Unexpected error occurs during executing reload plugins under account: credential:
  • Web and WS tests use PAC file (namely exclusion list for internal address)
  • Katalon Studio shutdown after 30 minutes. Error logs are full of connection time out

Activation collection is failed
com.kms.katalon.integration.analytics.exceptions.AnalyticsApiExeception: org.apache.http.conn.HttpHostConnectException: Connect to analytics.katalon.com:443 [Katalon TestOps, Katalon TestOps] failed: Connection timed out: connect

@laurent.mangin,
Do you encounter this issue if setting proxy manually?

I also see the activation process fails to use PAC even when “Use system proxy configuration option” is chosen.

See also the following post of mine:

Hi @huynguyen,

No issue with activation when using manual proxy. But then I cannot run test against my sut (internal address) as proxy exclusion list parameter is not used while running test

@kazurayam: I concur 100% with your post

Hi @laurent.mangin,
We will investigate the issue. In the mean time, you can try configure Katalon to use system proxy and use manual proxy in your system settings (instead of using PAC file).

It is probable that the Proxy Vole has a problem.

For example:

1 Like

I forked the Proxy Vole project, build the jar and run the Proxy Vole Tester on my Windows 10 PC behind the cooperates Proxy.

I learned that the Proxy Vole has various “Mode”, which includes:

• OS_DEFAULT – Use the platform settings
  • WPAD – Use WPAD resolution
  • BROWSER – Use the settings of the platforms default browser
  • FIREFOX – Use Firefox settings
  • IE – Use InternetExplorer settings
  • ENV_VAR – Use environment variables for proxy settings.
  • WIN – Use windows default proxy settings
  • KDE – Use KDE desktop default proxy settings.

I tried all these Modes, and found each mode emitted very different results. Let me show you some for example:

Mode: OS_DEFAULT

TRACE	Executing search strategies to find proxy selector
TRACE	Detecting platform. Name is: Windows 10
TRACE	Detected Windows platform: Windows 10
TRACE	Detecting platform. Name is: Windows 10
TRACE	Detected Windows platform: Windows 10
TRACE	Detected Windows desktop
TRACE	Detecting system settings.
TRACE	We are running on Windows.
TRACE	Detecting Windows proxy settings
INFO	No proxy found for desktop. Trying next one.
ERROR	No proxy settings available for this mode.

Mode: IE

TRACE	Detecting IE proxy settings
TRACE	IE uses script: http://172.24.xxx.xxx/proxy.pac
INFO	Using javax.script JavaScript engine.
INFO	Proxy found for IE
INFO	Proxy Settings found using IE strategy.
INFO	Proxy used for URL is: HTTP @ 172.24.xxx.xxx:xxxx

Mode: ENV_VAR

TRACE	Inspecting environment variables.
TRACE	Http Proxy is http://172.24.xxx.xxx:xxxx
TRACE	Https Proxy is com.github.markusbernhardt.proxy.selector.fixed.FixedProxySelector@1755390d
TRACE	Using proxy bypass list: 172.17.xxx.xxx,172.30.xxx.xxx,172.22.xxx.xxx
INFO	Proxy found for env
INFO	Proxy Settings found using ENV_VAR strategy.
INFO	Proxy used for URL is: HTTP @ 172.24.xxx.xxx:xxxx

I wanted to read the source code of the Activation process of Katalon Studio, but it is not disclosed. So I would like to ask @huynguyen and Katalon team a question:

Which Mode of Proxy Vole do you use in Katalon Studio?

• for Activation
  • for communicating with TestOps
  • for runing Web Spy
  • for running test cases which calls WebUI.openBrowser()

Please note that the OS_DEFAULT mode fails to find my proxy. If Katalon Studio uses the OS_DEFAULT mode for the Activation Process and for communicating with TestOps, KS would fail to find my proxy.

Hi @kazurayam,

• For activation and communicating with TestOps, we use Proxy Vole with the mode that is a combination of different strategies. Please refer to this answer: Proxy Auto config (PAC) support by Katalon Studio 7.1.0 is incomplete

• For running Web Spy and running test cases which calls WebUI.openBrowser(), the behavior of detecting system proxy depends on how browsers handle it.

Thank you for the reply.

Moreover, it may help to know the strategy we use for searching system proxy is as the following order (if it is in Windows environment):

1. Search proxy in operation system settings.
  2. Search proxy in Internet Explorer settings.
  3. Search proxy in Firefox settings.

OK, I understand the idea.

But I believe that KS does not work in the Activation process as intended.

I thought so. It’s now clear why “Use system proxy configuration” works fine for Web Spy and WebUI.openBrowser() — as browsers handles the whole of proxy stuff; does not rely on the Proxy Vole.

Ultimately it is really problematic in order to use Katalon Studio to its full extent

I have to setup no proxy or use system proxy to be able to run my tests against internal site, but in the same time it prevents me from loading plugins, using test ops, etc.

Hi @laurent.mangin,
We will try to detect the issue with system proxy mechanism.
By the way, we would like to know what issue cause manual proxy configuration with exclusion list does not work properly, Can you be more specific about your tests: API, Web, Mobile, or Windows Application? This could help us narrow down the issue.

1. “Manual Proxy configuration” allows only 1 proxy. But in my organization there are 2 proxy servers. I do not know why we have two.
  2. in the PAC script (javascript) in my organization, more than 30 patterns of host names are defined to be excluded. I don’t know why we need such a lot of patterns. I do not like to retype this list in the “Manual Proxy configuration”.

The proxy servers are the business of the network administrators of the organization. They maintain the PAC script. It is out of my concern. I don’t want to re-invent PAC-equivalent functionality in Katalon Studio. I just want to reuse the organizational PAC script as is.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.