Katalon project very slow to open on startup of Katalon --- VPN?

Please show the .log file where you may find some error messages.

Katalon Studio logs

• Windows logs folder: \config.metadata.log

• macOS logs folder: file:///Applications/Katalon%20Studio.app/Contents/MacOS/config/.metadata/log

Hi @kazurayam,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Attached .log file from MAC.katalon.log (192.6 KB)

!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.jface 2 0 2021-12-12 18:53:38.257

... (14 minutes passed)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 1 0 2021-12-12 19:07:49.188
!MESSAGE Reloading plugins.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 4 0 2021-12-12 19:07:49.542
!MESSAGE 
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.kms.katalon.entity.report.ReportEntity.getLocation(ReportEntity.java:36)
	at com.kms.katalon.entity.file.FileEntity.getId(FileEntity.java:18)
	at com.kms.katalon.controller.ReportController.reloadReport(ReportController.java:257)
	at com.kms.katalon.composer.components.impl.tree.ReportTreeEntity.getObject(ReportTreeEntity.java:39)
	at com.kms.katalon.composer.components.impl.tree.ReportTreeEntity.getObject(ReportTreeEntity.java:1)
	at com.kms.katalon.composer.project.handlers.ProjectSessionHandler$3.run(ProjectSessionHandler.java:164)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:63)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 4 0 2021-12-12 19:07:49.548
!MESSAGE 
!STACK 0
java.lang.IllegalStateException: this writer hit an unrecoverable error; cannot commit
	at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.prepareCommitInternal(IndexWriter.java:3177)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.commitInternal(IndexWriter.java:3445)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.shutdown(IndexWriter.java:1046)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.close(IndexWriter.java:1087)
	at com.kms.katalon.composer.components.impl.util.EntityIndexingUtil.doIndex(EntityIndexingUtil.java:182)
	at com.kms.katalon.composer.project.handlers.IndexProjectHandler$1.run(IndexProjectHandler.java:42)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:63)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: unexpected docvalues type NONE for field 'id' (expected=SORTED). Re-index with correct docvalues type.
	at org.apache.lucene.index.DocValues.checkField(DocValues.java:317)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.DocValues.getSorted(DocValues.java:369)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.Sorter.getOrWrapSorted(Sorter.java:235)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.MultiSorter.getComparableProviders(MultiSorter.java:165)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.MultiSorter.sort(MultiSorter.java:47)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.MergeState.buildDocMaps(MergeState.java:196)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.MergeState.<init>(MergeState.java:148)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.<init>(SegmentMerger.java:60)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeMiddle(IndexWriter.java:4452)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.merge(IndexWriter.java:4057)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler.doMerge(ConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:625)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler$MergeThread.run(ConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:662)

This makes me guess your Katalon Studio installation is somehow corrupted.

Please try removing the Katalon Studio completely. Clear it off the disk.

And download the *.dmg file fresh, and install it again.

Hi @kazurayam,
Tried deleting everything and doing a fresh install of Katalon. I noticed the same problem again while loading my project. As another try I tried to install Katalon on my Windows VM Ware and load the same project there. In Windows I didnā€™t notice the slowness. But the slowness is happening only on MAC. Any help on this?? In Windows I canā€™t have the VPN running so I canā€™t run the scripts from there, with that I need to fix the issue on my MAC. Any help/inputs on this is highly appreciated.
Thanks in Advance!!

I use Mac as well, and have never experienced such slowness. I believe your problem is specific to your environment.

Which version of macOS are you on?

In which directory do you install KS? In the /Applications directory?

Do you use *.dmg file to install?

Is your Mac connected to the Internet? or through Proxy?

Do you have your project ā€œTest Ops integrationā€ enabled? If yes, try disabling it.

Try toolbar File > clean up, and stop KS and restart KS.

How many subfolders under the ā€œReportsā€ directory do you have? If many, remove them.

Hi @kazurayam,
I am currently using macOS Monterey Version 12.0.1
It is currently located in Applications folder.
Yes *.dmg file is used to install
It is through Proxy.
Test Ops is not integrated.
Tried doing Cleanup and Restarted, but no luckā€¦
Not many Subfolders under Reportsā€¦Will clear them frequently.

@Aruna

try downgrading to Katalo Studio v7.9.1

You can download it at

Why? Katalon Studio v8.x included several changes internally. That caused several performance problems but they have fixed them. For example, see

If you find v7.9.x is better, your case may suggest KS v8.2.x has one more problem unresolved.

In that case, you should talk to Katalon Team and request their investigation. If you are using a paid license, you should submit an official support ticket. They would ask you to provide a zip of your katalon project. Let them have it and wait.

@kazurayam,

Having same issue with 7.9 as well.

Interesting.

Still you should submit a ticket at
https://support.katalon.com/hc/en-us

Thanks @kazurayam!!

Hi @kazurayam,

I believe I narrowed it down to an issue between Katalon and VPN. I have noticed that when I have connected to VPN (Which is required for me to do any testing), katalon takes over 15 minutes to load and it takes 15 more minutes to open any script . Is there any issue with Katalon working with VPN. I have started noticing this with some 7.x version

Regards

Aruna

@duyluong
@chrisstu

Please have a look into this.

I edited the topicā€™s title; appended ā€œā€”VPN?ā€ to make it better identified.

1 Like

Thank you Kazu and hi @Aruna ,

I havenā€™t seen any submitted tickets on a similar case, and havenā€™t been able to reproduce the issue also so this is kinda specific. Could you use the activity monitor on MacOS to see if the process took many resources? That would really help.
VPN wouldnā€™t interfere much with KS, If you using the enterprise version, try turning off every integration and external connection in Reference

@Aruna

I suppose you are at home and working on a Mac, on which you have Katalon Studio installed. I suppose you sometimes connect your Mac to the jobā€™s VPN. When you connect Mac to the jobā€™s VPN, your Mac will find itself sitting inside the jobā€™s private LAN isolated from the Internet. I suppose your jobā€™s intranet has Proxy server(s) as gateway to the Internet. In such a network environment, when Mac is connected to the VPN, you have to configure the URL of Proxy Server into Katalon Studioā€™s preference on your Mac to make it reachable to the Internet.

Have you configured the Proxy settings in KS properly?

See

However, when your Mac is not connected to the VPN, then you Katalon does not require Proxy; rather it would not work if the Proxy remain configured. This means, you have to switch the Proxy config of KS on your Mac frequently; as often as you switch your Mac connected/disconnected to the jobā€™s VPN.

I connect to a VPN to test AUTs on two servers (without which the URLs would not work).

No issues.

Same as this?