Katalon 7.08 doesn't detect errors

I have line of code below and executed it in Katalon 7.08 and 6.3.4:
WebUI.verifyElementNotPresent(findTestObject(‘Object Repository/Register Your Kit/input_Register Your Kit_kitbarcode’), 1, FailureHandling.CONTINUE_ON_FAILURE)

Results in Katalon 7.08 - PASS (it is incorrect response because object exists in my application)

Result in Katalon 6.3.4 is correct (program detected that object exists):
ERROR c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor - :x: Test Cases/STAGING/D Register invalid Kit from My Account page FAILED.
Reason:
com.kms.katalon.core.exception.StepFailedException: Web element with id: ‘Object Repository/Register Your Kit/input_Register Your Kit_kitbarcode’ located by ‘By.xpath: //*[@type = ‘barcode’ and @id = ‘kitbarcode’ and contains(@placeholder, ‘Enter Barcode here’)]’ is present after ‘1’ second(s)

Hi @nikolai

In 7.0.8 does the step verifyElementNotPresent get marked as failed but the whole test still passes, or the test step also passes.

No Thanh,

Step verifyElementNotPresent is marked as passed in 7.0.8:

invalid Kit from My Account page - 13: verifyElementNotPresent(findTestObject("Object Repository/Register Your Kit/p_Lets get started by entering your barcode"), 1, CONTINUE_ON_FAILURE)

and whole test case marked as passed although it should be marked as failed. In version 6.3.4 this test step and test case correctly are marked as failed. Now I am using only 6.3.4 version and waiting when you fix this annoying bug.

Thanks,

Nikolai

See also

Hi @nikolai
Please refer to my answer in a similar topic:

I’ve read both of these threads and I’m now confused a bit by this change in functionality (at least, it seems that way).

I had a similar issue where I used “verifyElementPresent” (but with FailureHandling of CONTINUE) on a Test Object and failed to find the object, but it only left a warning and the test case result was green/passed. The test case should have been marked as failed because the object wasn’t found.

Now, I’m finally back to Katalon Studio after a few months away. I was using version 6.1.1 or 6.1.5 just yesterday with FailureHandling working as I expected it to (if a step failed, it would fail the whole test case). I upgraded to 7.0.8 today to use the SmartWait feature, because my prior wait’s were never consistently working. Now I’m facing this issue where I don’t know if my test cases have actually failed or not, because they aren’t being marked as failed.

In your opinion, is this a bug that was introduced? Or a misunderstanding of what I’m expecting this feature to do? It’s very frustrating because a lot of my test cases are verifying web pages so I’m using “verifyElementPresent” a lot. So now, if one of these steps fail, it just returns a warning but the test case still shows passing? Am I understanding this correctly?

Both, in my view. I’m composing a response on the other thread.

I see. Appreciate your response and feedback on this issue.

I saw the developer’s post on a workaround that uses “If” conditional and manually marking the test case as failed, but that’s going to introduce so much re-work on my part.

I get it. Fact is, the whole thing was wrong from the start - the old behavior and the new are both poor.

But hang in there, the devs are generally good at responding to API issues.

(Shout out @devalex88 @ThanhTo)

1 Like

No not you and your code…

Yes, that. Sorry, I thought that would be obvious.

1 Like

Joshua, hang in there.

It may surprise you to know, that us mods have wicked evil powers - one of which is to be able to read deleted posts :alien::shushing_face:

So yes, hang in there, and keep asking questions here on the forum. None of us were born knowing this stuff. The only real difference between you and a bunch of us so-called experts is, we’ve been making mistakes longer than you have. :confused: