Git Integration

I am encountering error for first time Cloning a Project, error shows “Source git repository is empty”.
I’ve followed the initial steps in installing git, setting up the repository etc.

I do not have any eclipse application, all i had is the katalon stuidio tool.

I felt Git is more suitable then SVN for Katalon and almost having same features (or some times more than SVN).

1 Like

My configuration / repository setting : Null
Why is it Empty ?

cannot clone Git with https, how I setting config with certificate ssl ?

I already done setting on my Team -> Git -> Configuration
add ssl in http and https
it’s not working for me
any answer from this issue ?

Did you get any answers because I am also experiencing the same issue.

Hello everyone,

Please upgrade to the latest version of Katalon Studio and see if you still encounter this bug.

In case of an exception thrown, please send us your log for further investigation.

Jass

I get an error when connecting to GIT. Please help with the problem. Previously, there were no problems with connection. Credentials haven’t changed

Hi,
When I already have an active Katalon project using github but need to add/change to github SSH on this, how and where do I do that ?
Thanks
Thomas.

Should users create a branch after cloning? It’s not shown as a step on the typical workflow

By cloning, at least one local branch will be automatically created by git. The branch is usually named “master” or “main”; it depends on the original remote repository. Therefore you do not have to add branch yourself. Of course it is up to you to create branches as you wish.

Thanks, is it easier to merge branches rather than work with the trunk/master all the time? I haven’t worked with it enough (in a team) to have experience and whether this would help avoid conflicts though

This choice would not be relevant to conflicts.

Of which files in a katalon project are you concerned about?

How to prevent conflicts — it depends which file, how your team is working on the file. If you want to prevent conficts, the easiest way is to ‘.gitignore’ the file at all. Ignored files will never raise conflicts. But obviously ignored files can not be shared in the team. If you want to share the file and at the same time you want to prevent conflict, then the one stable solution is that all members stay careful to do “pull” the changes made by other members frequently enough, at least before making “commit”.

How to avoid conflicts — it is not relevant to the branching model you take. Whether you work on the master branch all the time, or use multiple branches — in either case you will have conflicts if you are careless.

I’ve recently added Settings folder to .gitignore, as well as the other default choices and we aim to pull and push regularly.
Bit stuck to know how to handle conflicts when they do come along though - as per my other post, we get a message warning of conflicts and that is it - it’s a dialog box with no further clues as to how to resolve. The documentation states that we should see a screen allowing to resolve and that files eg a script might be updated like so <<<< >>>> but this isn’t happening. To avoid conflicts with unimportant changes, eg timestamps in settings files, we would try to use .gitignore for as much as possible

While merging, git updates the files in the worktree without sending any signal to the text editors. I guess, the text editor in Katalon Studio is dull and does not sense the changes made by git in the files which the editor has been opened for.

What can you do? You should close the Katalon Studio project once, reopen the project, reopen the files. Then, I guess, the file is freshly reloaded from the worktree and you will see <<<>>> in the editor pane.

I tried to reproduce the case which @Dan_Bown mentioned. I created a Katalon project, save it into GitHub, clone out the project into 2 locations. I made code changes in each locations. I intentionally caused a conflict in a Test Case script.

I pulled the remote repository using Katalon’s Git Integration menu. Then I found that the text editor in Katalon Studio does sense the code change made by git. It displayed “<<<<” and “>>>>” automatically. See the following as evidence.

I was wrong in saying that “the text editor in Katalon Studio is dull and does not sense the changes”. Sorry about that.

• Create project A and clone to two locations: A1 and A2
  • Make a change to script in A1, commit and push to master
  • Open A2 and change same script - without pulling
  • Now perform Pull in A2
  • ‘problem occurred’ dialog appears, with ‘OK’ and ‘Details’.
  • click problem script - no <<<<>>>>
    the exact problem I get is “Checkout conflict with files:
    .project
    Scripts/TC1 JQueryUI/Script1633613726462.groovy
    settings/internal/com.kms.katalon.composer.testcase.properties
    Checkout conflict with files:
    .project
    Scripts/TC1 JQueryUI/Script1633613726462.groovy
    settings/internal/com.kms.katalon.composer.testcase.properties”.

I am unclear how I fix the above using Katalon only. There are no marked-up files in sight to fix. Is the above sequence somehow an ‘invalid’ way of using the system? If so, how to fix? Ended up manually fixing it and it took more time than writing the original scripts!

If you do “In A2, git commit” before performing Pull in A2, then you will see <<<>>>

1 Like

Thank you, still getting used to this!