Creating a random string/int during run time to use in a web request

Hello,

I’ve tried searching for help on this but can’t seem to find anything. Apologies if this has already been answered somewhere!

**Issue:
**I am making a web request which creates a user. As part of this request, a unique id needs to be passed in a field called “key” each time a user is created. What is the best/easiest way to create a random string each time I run my test which can be passed into the request?

I know I can create local variables in the “Web Service request” object which can parameterise the request, but how can i make this parameter random? Where can I set it from?

JSON being passed:

{
  "key": "string I want to make random",
  "userName": "dave",
"country": "GB"
}

hello,
random string is easy:

import org.apache.commons.lang.RandomStringUtilsString charset = (('A'..'Z') + ('0'..'9')).join()Integer length = 9def randomString = RandomStringUtils.random(length, charset.toCharArray())println randomString

next, change definition of requestObject like this:

{  "key": "${keyValue}",  "userName": "dave",  "country": "GB"}

in call use following:

response = WS.sendRequest(findTestObject('pathInObjectRepository/requestObject',[('keyValue'): randomString]))

*** edited to correct typo thanx for pointing that out @“Justin Harper”

Hi Justin,

the safest way how to have an unique key is to add current timestamp to it. See this example:

long ts = System.currentTimeMillis() / 1000LString json = '''{"key": "randomKey''' + ts + '''","userName": "dave","country": "GB"}'''println json

// output

{"key": "randomKey1533726180","userName": "dave","country": "GB"}

1 Like

Thanks @Andrej Podhajský @Marek Melocik , both of your answers are a really great help!

@Andrej Podhajský

hmm, when I try and run the request from the test case, I get the below error. I’ve tried adding the reference “import com.kms.katalon.core.testobject.RequestObject” but still getting the same error message:

08-08-2018 12:30:41 PM - [ERROR] - Test Cases/API Tests/Brands/001_Create a brand with status set to enabled FAILED because (of) groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: static com.kms.katalon.core.webservice.keyword.WSBuiltInKeywords.sendRequest() is applicable for argument types: (com.kms.katalon.core.testobject.RequestObject, java.util.LinkedHashMap) values: [TestObject - ‘Object Repository/API Test Objects/Brands/001_Create a brand with status set to enabled’, …]
Possible solutions: sendRequest(com.kms.katalon.core.testobject.RequestObject), sendRequest(com.kms.katalon.core.testobject.RequestObject, com.kms.katalon.core.model.FailureHandling)

my fault i was using my old crappy memory…

response = WS.sendRequest(findTestObject('pathInObjectRepository/requestObject',[('keyValue'): randomString]))

Andrej Podhajský said:

my fault i was using my old crappy memory…

Thanks @Andrej Podhajský, works a charm!

you are welcome

hi
can you use this random number using post request. in the HTTP body i would need to give the user ID random name.

Of course you can. Create unique variable and pass it to WS object.

https://docs.katalon.com/display/KD/Parameterize+a+Web+Service+Object

The big question how to make the Variable random?
after i add ${variable} to the body. then i go to the variable tab. and now how do i make variable random?

I use this to make a simple random string. You only pass in a number which lets you control how many characters the string is:

@Keyword
def randomString(int stringLength) {
String charset = (('A'..'Z') + ('0'..'9')).join()
Integer length = stringLength
def randomString = RandomStringUtils.random(length, charset.toCharArray())
return randomString
}

or if you want a random int, the below line would give you a int between 999999 and 1000000.

int randomInt = Math.abs(new Random().nextInt()) % 999999 + 1000000
3 Likes

Hi @Eytan_Nakache,

Were you able to randomise the variable??
Thanks in advance!

Hi there, where should I put this code?
Thanks in advance!