Exporting Katalon Recorder test scripts for use in Katalon Studio

Hi everyone

I’m trying to export test cases from Katalon Recorder to use them as a starting point for more robust test cases in Katalon Studio.

If I export the KR script as “Katalon Studio”, how do I import that script into Katalon Studio? I don’t see any option in KS to do that.

If I copy and paste a working KR script into a new test case in KS, when I run the selenium/groovy script, it causes exceptions complaining about:

02-28-2018 10:00:31 AM - [ERROR]  - Test Cases/MyTest 
FAILED because (of) 
com.thoughtworks.selenium.SeleniumException: 
Element link=mylink not found

Possibly more concerning is the fact that one of the import statements is underlined suggesting that “Selenium” is not recognized because it is underlined in the KS editor:

import com.thoughtworks.selenium.Selenium

Even more weird, sometimes this same line reads:

import com.thoughtworks.selenium.Selenium as Selenium

My reason for using Katalon Recorder was to allow our non-technical/non-programmer personnel to record issues and post them somewhere so that the programmers and testers can incorporate them into more robust test cases in Katalon Studio.

Is anyone doing this successfully? The documentation for Katalon Recorder implies this should simply work, but it does not.

Can anyone help?

Thank you!

Russ Thomas said:

Hi everyone

I’m trying to export test cases from Katalon Recorder to use them as a starting point for more robust test cases in Katalon Studio.

If I export the KR script as “Katalon Studio”, how do I import that script into Katalon Studio? I don’t see any option in KS to do that.

If I copy and paste a working KR script into a new test case in KS, when I run the selenium/groovy script, it causes exceptions complaining about:

02-28-2018 10:00:31 AM - [ERROR]  - Test Cases/MyTest 

FAILED because (of)
com.thoughtworks.selenium.SeleniumException:
Element link=mylink not found

Possibly more concerning is the fact that one of the import statements is underlined suggesting that "Selenium" is not recognized because it is underlined in the KS editor:  

Even more weird, sometimes this same line reads:  

import com.thoughtworks.selenium.Selenium as Selenium

My reason for using Katalon Recorder was to allow our non-technical/non-programmer personnel to record issues and post them somewhere so that the programmers and testers can incorporate them into more robust test cases in Katalon Studio.  

Is anyone doing this successfully?  The documentation for Katalon Recorder implies this should simply work, but it does not.  

Can anyone help?  

Thank you!  

Hey Russ,

Please use the Import Selenium Scripts (Beta) feature in File Menu to import the test scripts from Katalon Recorder.

1. Save Test suite in Katalon Recorder to your local drive
2. In Katalon Studio, File > Import Selenium Scripts > select saved Test suite.

The message above appeared due to Katalon Studio could not find the element when the script running too fast to load the link. I’d suggest adding keyword waitforelementpresent.

The above line of code indicates the deprecated of the resource. It won’t affect your test scripts in Katalon Studio.

Let me know if you have further problems,

Best,
Liam

Liam B said:

Hey Russ,

Please use the Import Selenium Scripts (Beta) feature in File Menu to import the test scripts from Katalon Recorder.

1. Save Test suite in Katalon Recorder to your local drive
2. In Katalon Studio, File > Import Selenium Scripts > select saved Test suite.

The message above appeared due to Katalon Studio could not find the element when the script running too fast to load the link. I’d suggest adding keyword waitforelementpresent.

The above line of code indicates the deprecated of the resource. It won’t affect your test scripts in Katalon Studio.

Let me know if you have further problems,

Best,
Liam

Thank you very much for your reply, Liam

I did try both of those options, without success.

I will try again and post the results here.

Thanks.

Hi Liam,

Here is what I did and the results:

1. In KR, I exported the test case and chose Language & Framework “Katalon Studio”
  2. In KS, I used "Import Selenium Scripts (Beta)
  3. KS created a Test Case folder called “Imported from Selenium IDE Scripts” containing another folder called “New Test Suite” containing nothing.
  4. KS created a Test Suite called “Imported from Selenium IDE
    Scripts” containing another folder called “New Test Suite” containing
    nothing.

Then I tried again, this time exporting from KR as “XML”. When I imported the XML file into KS, it created the same two sets of folders containing nothing.

I sincerely hope this workflow can be achieved with KR and KS – it would help reduce significant time spent documenting bugs and issues during development of large scale projects.

Hoping you can help us!

Russ

Hi Liam

I just discovered something…

If I export an entire suite from KR, then import it into KS using “Import Selenium Scripts (Beta)” then KS will create fully populated Suites and folders with all the tests cases.

Therefore, KS is only failing when trying to import a single exported test case. Test Suites can be imported just fine.

I think I can work with this. But it would be nice if the single test case export/import workflow would work in the future.

Many thanks for your help!

Russ

2 Likes

Hello,

I am having the exact same problem.
If I export a test case and then import it into Katalon Studio, it creates an empty folder under the test cases, and an empty test suite.

I am also unable to export an entire test suite from Katalon Recorder; I can only export single test cases. How do you export entire suites from KR?

Thank you.

Stefano

I have same problem as Stefano.

Hope to hear there is solution for this.

Thank you.
Tracey

Russ Thomas said:

Hi Liam

I just discovered something…

If I export an entire suite from KR, then import it into KS using “Import Selenium Scripts (Beta)” then KS will create fully populated Suites and folders with all the tests cases.

Therefore, KS is only failing when trying to import a single exported test case. Test Suites can be imported just fine.

I think I can work with this. But it would be nice if the single test case export/import workflow would work in the future.

Many thanks for your help!

Russ

Hi Thomas,
“Export” was a bit misleading in this case, but pointed me into the right direction…
As there is no “Export” button for the suite, you need to right-click on the Test Suite, then chose “Save Test Suite As…” in the context menu and import in KS as explained above.

Thanks a lot and I hope this helps others too.

Best regards,
Georg

Hi - hope you can help - I, as you, realised you cannot export - but when using the ‘save as’ I only have file type as HTML option, which Studio doesn’t like.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

This issue is not fixed.

Still not fixed…

Hi,
i had the same problem and couldnt get it fixed or find any solution anywhere online, so i took the step and recorded the Cases again in Studio.
The only thing i can say it was totally worth it. KS has its own querks but in the end Studio made my life way easier!
For non technical Users it should be possible to create a Project and Record the same way as in the Browser extension.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.