Katalon testing for Windows apps

Hi,

We are developing app for android, iOS, and windows environments and we are using Katalon for Android and iOS but we cannot use it for windows app.
Is there a plan for Katalon Studio to support testing of Windows apps? Appium does support (with Win10) UI testing of windows applications and also there is a Winium that does the same (both are based on Selenium).

Here are some links for this:
https://appium.readthedocs.io/en/stable/en/writing-running-appium/windows-app-testing/

This would be a great feature since it would make Katalon Studio a one stop shop for all test automation needs.
(Also support for Windows devices for Kobiton service would be a great plus)

Thanks,
Rasko

2 Likes

Hi Rasko,

Thanks for your great suggestion! I already logged this suggest and will discuss with the team for consideration.

In the meantime, here’s the workaround for testing Window apps with Katalon Studio:

-Download Windows Application Driver installer from https://github.com/Microsoft/WinAppDriver/releases

- Run the installer on a Windows 10 machine where your application under test is installed and will be tested.

- Run WinAppDriver.exe from the installation directory (E.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Application Driver).

We were able to run one of the samples for the Github Repository:

import java.util.concurrent.TimeUnit
import org.junit.Assert
import org.openqa.selenium.remote.DesiredCapabilities
import io.appium.java_client.windows.WindowsDriver
DesiredCapabilities capabilities = new DesiredCapabilities();
capabilities.setCapability("app", "Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App");
CalculatorSession = new WindowsDriver(new URL("http://127.0.0.1:4723"), capabilities);
CalculatorSession.manage().timeouts().implicitlyWait(2, TimeUnit.SECONDS);
CalculatorResult = CalculatorSession.findElementByAccessibilityId("CalculatorResults")
CalculatorSession.findElementByName("One").click();
CalculatorSession.findElementByName("Plus").click();
CalculatorSession.findElementByName("Seven").click();
CalculatorSession.findElementByName("Equals").click();
Assert.assertEquals("8", _GetCalculatorResultText());
1 Like

Great :slight_smile: Will try this workaround and looking forward to seeing this feature fully integrated with Katalon Studio.

Thanks!
Rasko

2 Likes

Looking forward to testing desktop apps using Katalon. :slight_smile:

Hello, how do you get this this value “Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App” for setCapability? How do I find this value for another windows application?

Also, is there a simpler way to run a command line application?
In Python robotframework, this was very easy for me, just do

Run  "C:\\Program Files\\ImageMagick-7.0.2-Q16\\convert.exe ..."

thanks

Enrique Maglalang Jr said:

Looking forward to testing desktop apps using Katalon. :slight_smile:

Hi Enrique,
Just to clarify this thread is for windows mobile applications (which could be run on desktop PCs as well) but not for desktop specific applications.

Rasko

Hi Liam,

Has there been any update on a potential Windows integration?

Also, I’m trying to run the example that you included here, but when I select ‘Run’ I still don’t see an option for Windows. Additionally, shouldn’t there be an .exe file that’s required for testing?

Thanks,

Micaela

Micaela Connors said:

Hi Liam,

Has there been any update on a potential Windows integration?

Also, I’m trying to run the example that you included here, but when I select ‘Run’ I still don’t see an option for Windows. Additionally, shouldn’t there be an .exe file that’s required for testing?

Thanks,

Micaela

Hi Micaela,

At the moment, I don’t have any exact ETA on Windows integration. Unfortunately, it’s not the focus of our team this year.

The workaround above is for testing Window App with Katalon Studio. It is not supported Run mode yet.

Thank you for using Katalon Studio,
Liam

Hi Liam,

You mention “We were able to run one of the samples for the Github Repository” - what I’m trying to learn is, how were you able to run this? and what is the sample from the Github Repository?

Thanks again,

Micaela

@Liam B Could you explain further? Thanks!

Some sample code will be useful

Any update on the windows testing implementation? It has been 6 months since the last post, so I wanted to check. We are interested in windows recording features.
@Liam_B

@Liam_B is there an update already with regards to Kalaton studio to automate testing of .Net based windows applications?

Hello everyone,

Katalon Studio 7.0 supports Desktop Apps Testing. Please read more about it here.

Jass