Automation by xpath, object names and values through excel sheet

How can I pass x-path, object names (without adding objects to object repo) and values to test script via excel application and achieve automation??

Any inputs? need urgent help !

Comments

• If I get it correctly, you have an excel sheet with Xpaths and names and you want to parse it in Katalon?

• yes exactly, without adding objects to Repo, I want to open tool and import from data sheet and it should run my scripts.....

Is it possible with katalon ?

• It is possible, but parsing CSV would be much easier. You can save your Excel sheets as CSV and then parse it in Katalon.

I can do a simple POC for you if you give me a sample file of your data.

• Please do a sample project for launching any url in any browser by inputting objects x-paths, object names and values in it.... Request you to share the link to download complete Katalon project.

Thank You so much. Looking forward for your reply.

• edited October 3

I tried to create such a parser for your file. It is possible, BUT:

1/ It is not possible to create objects dynamically, you have to define them in the test explicitly - when your data file contains 3 object, you have to do following:
    TestObject to1 = new TestObject()
    TestObject to2 = new TestObject()
    TestObject to3 = new TestObject()
    ... and then it is possible to assign properties using parser script using to1.addProperty() method.

I'd recommend you to rewrite your Excel file into a single custom keyword, where you create all your TestObjects and then initialize it in a test. It may look like this:

And then it is very simple to use them wherever you want:

(you don't have to create an instance of MyTestObjects as all objects are static).

Please visit this page to get more info about creating TestObjects and manipulating with its properties.

• Thank You so much....

I have one more query:

How can I perform Import/Export operations for excel sheet data into my Katalon Test? Is there any method like HP UFT Import or ImportSheet ?

• I am afraid that there is no such an option. What exactly does your sheet contain?

• I was planning to write test steps status after execution. is there any way to generate HTML reports or extent reports? I couldn't navigate to test execution results in my katalon folder.

• HTML report is generated after running Test Suite in Katalon. It can be found in Reports folder in your project.

• so, I can't pass x-paths through excel sheet and input it to my script for object identification ?

Any inputs on this approach ?

• You can, but the object must exist in Katalon before you add a property from Excel/CSV file.

• I have deleted all Objects from Object Repo and I am passing x-paths of objects through an excel sheet and I am able to automate scenarios.

I have used below code for this:

TestObject dynamicObject = new TestObject('dynamicObject').addProperty('xpath', ConditionType.EQUALS, xpath)

WebUI.setText(dynamicObject, inputValue)